EFL Cup 21/22

Ro Sham Bo

18 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Without the kepa narrative that’s the most  boring penalty shootout ever,  we desperately need IFAB to grow some balls,  stop stuttered ups and also allow at least some trials for hockey style shoot outs. Way more fun and a better test of skill.

MLS tried the run up style shootout in the early days and it was garbage.  Works well in hockey because they have skates and can go so much faster, in football it didn't work.

I

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

MLS tried the run up style shootout in the early days and it was garbage.  Works well in hockey because they have skates and can go so much faster, in football it didn't work.

I’m too young to remember early MLS but I believe they started at the halfway line which essentially meant 40 yards of pointless running before the real stuff started.  starting at 30 yards out or even at the edge of the D(22 yards for anyone that can’t do maths) if we de don’t want extra markings would create interest.

I wasn’t even thinking of ice hockey so the skate reference is irrelevant, it works perfectly fine in field hockey too.

27 minutes ago, resk said:

Fair play to the young Liverpool keeper lacing his pelanty in to the net.  Seeing the keepers taking them is yet another thing that makes penalty shootouts absolutely ruddy brilliant.  

He played as a striker until he was 14, which probably helped.

I can’t comprehend what went through Tuchel’s head, in subbing Mendy for that w**k Kepa in the first place. For Kepa to then get nowhere near any of the 11 he faced, then to balloon his own 10 yards over the bar is just glorious. Simply fucking glorious.

I can only hope Sarri is sitting somewhere with a fag in his mouth and a smile on his face. 

Edited by MONKMAN

Seems to be more extended shoot-outs now at the top level, I'm sure it's a result of them being much stricter with goalkeepers coming off their line. If the kick is hit firmly anywhere near the post or bar now it's almost a certain goal. Previously goalies were sneaking out a couple of yards to cut off the angle so ones that were destined for just inside the post could be saved. But now they can't do that and just can't dive quick enough to reach the corners. Unless they go really early but then they get done with penalties like Fabinho's or Jorginho's. The keepers in the Man Utd v 'Boro cup tie recently got slated for commiting early, but in fairness to them if they don't then they end up like the keepers tonight where they just aren't able to reach anything.

14 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Without the kepa narrative that’s the most  boring penalty shootout ever,  we desperately need IFAB to grow some balls,  stop stuttered ups and also allow at least some trials for hockey style shoot outs. Way more fun and a better test of skill.

Just because some penalty shootouts are boring doesn’t mean we need to go full MLS. When you watch a boring 0-0/1-0 game do you start demanding for an overhaul of how the wider game is played?

13 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I can’t comprehend what went through Tuchel’s head, in subbing Mendy for that w**k Kepa in the first place.

He did the exact same thing earlier this season and it paid off.

5 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Just because some penalty shootouts are boring doesn’t mean we need to go full MLS. When you watch a boring 0-0/1-0 game do you start demanding for an overhaul of how the wider game is played?

No, this is a small element of the game which i feel can be improved upon.