Last minute transfer dash..

Is it just me or has there been a serious lack of loans this summer in L1?

How many loans has your club taken in? Cove have a grand total of 0 and theres only 8 days left. 

Falkirk, QP, Peterhead and Alloa have taken in Ruth & McDaid, Connell & Smith, Duffy and Henderson respectively in the last week or so.

There must be more players at a higher level that are due to be loaned out for game time.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

57 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

How many loans has your club taken in? Cove have a grand total of 0 and theres only 8 days left. 

Falkirk, QP, Peterhead and Alloa have taken in Ruth & McDaid, Connell & Smith, Duffy and Henderson respectively in the last week or so.

There must be more players at a higher level that are due to be loaned out for game time.

Our only loan player is Euan Deveney who signed a few days ago. Hearing 2 more are immenent though. Loan window ends at the end of this month so imagine we'll see a few deals across the board yet.

14 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Sons have Kirk McKnight (Killie), Ryan Schiavone (Hearts) and Carlo Pignatiello (Livi) on loan this year. Does seem like the loans have dried up a bit on the whole, wonder if it's COVID related especially at part time level where the player can continue to train with his parent club - if they pick up COVID at the loaning club and bring it back to the full time club it could potentially be a disaster. 

20 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We've done well out of the loan market in recent years but only have a couple at the moment. Scott McGill has done very well and has proven useful in his versatility, especially given how light we've been at times due to injuries and Covid. We haven't seen much of Rhys Caves at all although he is only 17 and was presumably brought in so we could literally just field a team that day at Balmoor. But he's a local boy and a decent prospect by all accounts so hopefully he can make an impact at some point. 

I did think we might bring in a defender on loan with Kerr and Lyons both being out for extended periods and Wardrop leaving but we've managed to get by so far. 

Edited by airdrieman

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Sons have Kirk McKnight (Killie), Ryan Schiavone (Hearts) and Carlo Pignatiello (Livi) on loan this year. Does seem like the loans have dried up a bit on the whole, wonder if it's COVID related especially at part time level where the player can continue to train with his parent club - if they pick up COVID at the loaning club and bring it back to the full time club it could potentially be a disaster. 

Only 3 loan signings. Fair play to SF he's taken in a lot of players on permanent contracts and so far turned around performances, got goals in the side and in a league position I doubt Duffy would have ever managed.

Plausible explanation as to why the loan market hasn't been as dyanmic as previous seasons. Clubs maybe holding onto players in the event of a COVID outbreak. 

18 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I'd hope we are still looking but I think we might be done. 

Yeah Holt needs to be doing something in the next week to cover his FT DoF wage and may as well be scouring for talent. He and Hartley are equally as useless in that department it seems!

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah Holt needs to be doing something in the next week to cover his FT DoF wage and may as well be scouring for talent. He and Hartley are equally as useless in that department it seems!

He was doing co commentary at the weekend on the livi game basically pointing out flaws that Celtic had about not creating enough blah blah. He needs to look a bit closer to home on the not too dissimilar issues his current employers have on the pitch. Which btw he had a big input into. Clown. 

10 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

He was doing co commentary at the weekend on the livi game basically pointing out flaws that Celtic had about not creating enough blah blah. He needs to look a bit closer to home on the not too dissimilar issues his current employers have on the pitch. Which btw he had a big input into. Clown. 

Seems like he's had a fair input into most of the signings so far and the last few look like there not quite the standard needed. We're used to that with PH.

Hartley was also on the TV on the weekend for the Dundee derby, didn't watch it but hope he was asking about Glass, Mochrie or Meekison.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

We've done well out of the loan market in recent years but only have a couple at the moment. Scott McGill has done very well and has proven useful in his versatility, especially given how light we've been at times due to injuries and Covid. We haven't seen much of Rhys Caves at all although he is only 17 and was presumably brought in so we could literally just field a team that day at Balmoor. But he's a local boy and a decent prospect by all accounts so hopefully he can make an impact at some point. 

I did think we might bring in a defender on loan with Kerr and Lyons both being out for extended periods and Wardrop leaving but we've managed to get by so far. 

Would be disappointed if we do not add to the squad with Wardrop away,   The drop off in quality from starting 11 to the bench although better than previous years is still pretty alarming.... 

Our starting 11 is as good anything in this league...

16 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Would be disappointed if we do not add to the squad with Wardrop away,   The drop off in quality from starting 11 to the bench although better than previous years is still pretty alarming.... 

Our starting 11 is as good anything in this league...

Agreed. Take Saturday's bench for instance. I like Matty McDonald but he's very raw. And other than him there's no quality or game-changers in there at all. Will be a bit better when Lyons, McCabe and Gabby McGill are back but we haven't had a full squad to choose from once yet which has left us pretty short the whole season thus far. 

6 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Seems like he's had a fair input into most of the signings so far and the last few look like there not quite the standard needed. We're used to that with PH.

Hartley was also on the TV on the weekend for the Dundee derby, didn't watch it but hope he was asking about Glass, Mochrie or Meekison.

I'm not sure the last few signings are on Holt tbh. Ruth will definitely have been on Sheerin, McDaid too you'd imagine, Ross another, and whatever the future holds for him he'll never ever be forgiven for signing Jaime fucking Wilson. Collectively though between Holt and Sheerin they have made an absolute James Blunt of the recruitment with only Nesbitt as a shining light. And big Krasniqi although he never gets a game from the start. 

14 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Thomson (Rangers) Smith (Hearts) Longstaff (Liverpool) Connell (Celtic) 

Queen's have dipped into the loan market well.

Connell is a classy player and will do a fine job this season. Connor Smith who we had last season showed signs of promise and is a forward thinking attacking midfielder. 

Don't know much and Jack Thomson and Luis Longstaff. How are they getting on, impressed?

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Don't know much and Jack Thomson

We had Thomson on loan at Clyde for the latter part of last season and he was fine, but fairly forgettable. I think he's about 21, and hadn't kicked a first team ball even on loan which is a bit odd, I'm sure there were probably injuries to blame for his late start.

He spent a bit of time in the US after that at Rangers associated club and the first team games seem to have brought him up a level. I thought he looked much better playing for Queen's Park against Clyde in the sitter role, and looked assured dropping into defence. Not sure if the QP fans will agree.

15 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I'm not sure the last few signings are on Holt tbh. Ruth will definitely have been on Sheerin, McDaid too you'd imagine, Ross another, and whatever the future holds for him he'll never ever be forgiven for signing Jaime fucking Wilson. Collectively though between Holt and Sheerin they have made an absolute James Blunt of the recruitment with only Nesbitt as a shining light. And big Krasniqi although he never gets a game from the start. 

Wilson will benefit from regular starts.

55 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Wilson will benefit from regular starts.

So will Cove and the other 8 League One sides 😂

Think he would be better off at a club with slightly less pressure/expectation and where he'd get more run of games as you say.

Edited by CoveRangers1922