Last minute transfer dash..

Well then, less than a week until the window slams shut and having been reading the threads there are quite a few of us banking on last minute signings whether permies or loans. 

Airdrie are savaged and down to the bare bones this weekend it seems - probably another 3 points on the cards. Surely there isn't anymore Sons players left for you to sign and vice versa? 

Falkirk need a striker to ensure Jaime Wilson doesn't grace the hallow turf of the TFS ever again, Clyde need a whole new defence it seems or Danny needs a mulligan for his latest summer recruitment (cue a clean sheet at Broadwood this weekend and a home win), Dumbarton could be done with a new striker as could Cove, preferably not one that's 34 and given the standard 3 year deal, and possibly Montrose even though their flying and Webby is banging them in for fun. 

Queens are looking tidy, what positions you looking to strengthen? A few to come back from injury will naturally strengthen. Jai Quitongo I really rate and will cause problems for L1 defences.

Wasps, will Barry Ferguson dip into the market and pull out even more new signings to aid a playoff push?

Bluetoon fit ya needin to bolster the squad?

East Fife getting Connell in is good business. Semple and Dan Higgins should give some options. Still needing a solid holding midfield and another option up top?

Will some venture down south or further afield for a hidden gem? Will any L1 teams lose a star to a higher league or unexpectedly to another team in L1. Who will find the Scott Tiffoney or Kyle Turner esque player who will make the difference. 

Should be an interesting few days. Good luck to all the teams trying to get their players in. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Clyde definitely need a centre half, but I can't see it happening given we've signed three already this summer. Big Elsdon has looked fine in the couple of games he's played and Balatoni will probably be alright, but Page is still in a moonboot and Rumsby as much as I love him definitely doesn't have enough about him for League 1.

For me, we desperately need another striker, because Rob Jones and Gregory Tade aren't boys you'd want if Goodwillie is injured.

I also think it's glaringly obvious that we need a more attack-minded centre midfielder to link play. Splaine, Cuddihy Kennedy and Gomis aren't that type of player. Love looked ok in the 10 in pre-season but you maybe wouldn't rely on that, same with Cunningham. Goodwillie dropping in also doesn't work given the fact that it'd be Rob Jones up there.

A lot of issues to be addressed really, you'd think with the fact that we have a salaried recruitment team these would be identified and tackled by the club, but the club is a pathetic shambles at the moment.

24 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Clyde definitely need a centre half, but I can't see it happening given we've signed three already this summer. Big Elsdon has looked fine in the couple of games he's played and Balatoni will probably be alright, but Page is still in a moonboot and Rumsby as much as I love him definitely doesn't have enough about him for League 1.

For me, we desperately need another striker, because Rob Jones and Gregory Tade aren't boys you'd want if Goodwillie is injured.

I also think it's glaringly obvious that we need a more attack-minded centre midfielder to link play. Splaine, Cuddihy Kennedy and Gomis aren't that type of player. Love looked ok in the 10 in pre-season but you maybe wouldn't rely on that, same with Cunningham. Goodwillie dropping in also doesn't work given the fact that it'd be Rob Jones up there.

A lot of issues to be addressed really, you'd think with the fact that we have a salaried recruitment team these would be identified and tackled by the club, but the club is a pathetic shambles at the moment.

Seems like a few are needed in various parts of the pitch. DL managed to find a few good loanees last season that along with the talisman that is DGW kept your head above the parapet.

A salaried recruitment team should know that Page isn't L1 standard mind you I could tell Cove that Gourlay and Draper are as much use a chocolate fireguard. Page didn't standout at Brechin when I saw him. Rumsby in the highlights I've seen does look a bit lost positionally at times.

A few decent signings in there though with Livingstone at LB, Balatoni at CB and Gomis and Splaine in the middle albeit they aren't going to create or chip in with many goals. Need to keep DGW firmly in the CF position and not drag him out wide to fit Rob Jones in. 

Overall our squad has shaped up quite nicely. Still early days but the signings - Wilson aside - have generally been on the money (or young with room to develop).

As you say we could really do with another attacking option. Our 1-11 is looking good and we appear to have adequate cover in defence and defensive midfield, though it's the attacking third of the pitch where we're a little light on depth/ quality

I would say a striker is a priority but if that someone can also play wide/ the 10 role that would be ideal. Probably a slight preference for width because Ross or Telfer could certainly push on a bit to play a more creative role. 

Overall though we do have some options in that we could move Nesbitt wide and have young Weekes as well. So bearing that in mind it's certainly a striker we should be prioritising. The thought of Keena getting injured at some point (likely), and having to play Wilson gives me the fear.

I'd hope we've got the finances to bring one more player in given Dowds has gone out on loan. Gavin Reilly and Michael Ruth have both been heavily linked but nothing official confirmed at the moment. 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

Dont see us signing anybody else. At a push a new back-up keeper but that'll depend on how severe Erskine's injury is.

We probably don't have a 3rd out and out centre half in the squad, but we have guys who can cover if needed. We've got depth at right back and 2 options at left back. A few players for midfield. We signed Shiavone on loan from Hearts so we've even got cover up front, although we don't have a proper target man up top.

Big issue for us is consistency. I know it's early in the season but we did very well against Clyde, only started playing against Airdrie and Cove when we were 2 behind and struggled against Queens Park. I think that we can play better than we've seen so far. We just need to take the things that we've done reasonably well and find a way of maintaining them for 90 minutes.

6 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Overall our squad has shaped up quite nicely. Still early days but the signings - Wilson aside - have generally been on the money (or young with room to develop).

As you say we could really do with another attacking option. Our 1-11 is looking good and we appear to have adequate cover in defence and defensive midfield, though it's the attacking third of the pitch where we're a little light on depth/ quality

I would say a striker is a priority but if that someone can also play wide/ the 10 role that would be ideal. Probably a slight preference for width because Ross or Telfer could certainly push on a bit to play a more creative role. 

I'd hope we've got the finances to bring one more player in given Dowds has gone out on loan. Gavin Reilly and Michael Ruth have both been heavily linked bot nothing official confirmed at the moment. 

Dowds getting loaned up a division was a slight shock I thought. Dick Campbell clearly needing some backup for Nouble and Linn. I've been keeping my ear to the ground on Ruth lately too and supposedly he didn't look impressive against Buckie Thistle in a recent regional cup game which the young dons lost 1-0. He's struggling to get in the match squad at Aberdeen which doesn't mean he's poor, far from it. Think there's a good chance he might get loaned out now since Austin Samuels was unveiled yesterday.

Falkirk looking decent like you say in the first XI and have some options too. Interested to see how the game goes on Saturday.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Queens are looking tidy, what positions you looking to strengthen? A few to come back from injury will naturally strengthen. Jai Quitongo I really rate and will cause problems for L1 defences.

Hit the nail on the head for QP. Jai Quitongo was the one player in our squad last season that looked outrageously good for league 2 level, despite the whole squad performing well, he really did stand out every game. He seems to be back in light training going by pictures but ive not seen any indication as to a possible return date. We’ve missed that natural width and pace on occasions this season so a couple of wingers and striker to accommodate Murray is a must

3 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Page wasn’t in a moonboot at TFS on Saturday there.

Striker that's on par or better than Keena. Can't afford it to be another work in progress (Ompreon) and absolutely not someone masquerading as a professional footballer (Wilson.) Edit to add can we please just not give the c**t back to Dumbarton must be a receipt laying around somewhere... 

8 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Striker that's on par or better than Keena. Can't afford it to be another work in progress (Ompreon) and absolutely not someone masquerading as a professional footballer (Wilson.) Edit to add can we please just not give the c**t back to Dumbarton must be a receipt laying around somewhere... 

we are giving them Jones back first. Get in line!

8 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I'd actually take Wilson back, I doubt Faz will have him though. 

22 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

we are giving them Jones back first. Get in line!

Better sending him back to Stranraer.

17 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

This is more like a last minute transfer crawl.... 

Expected a few more signings than this. Even a few rumours would be welcome..I'll need to start making some up soon! Prem clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee United etc are now finally bringing in players from down south so I'm thinking that will lead to a few going out last minute.

5 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Yeah it's been a bit slow, I've not heard any rumours other than those already mentioned from our point of view ie Reilly and Ruth.  I had hoped we might get someone in time for tomorrow's game, not looking likely. 

Likewise was hoping for a new addition in time for tomorrow but no such joy. If Ruth doesn't get loaned out I'd be shocked.