Kanye West changes name

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Thanks to you I've looked up Black Skinhead. This isn't genre-defining, it's SkyBet advert music. 

That was my thought too. I didn't even realise it was a proper song until I heard it in Suicide Squad.

I'm still thinking this must be one of those situations where the artist's biggest hits are generally considered to be shit by their biggest fans, and there's a smorgasbord of quality work flying under the radar that most of us don't generally get to hear. But I'll be buggered if I can be bothered seeking it out.

IMO Kanye is like the hip hop version of REM or U2.  Can see why they are/were so big but there’s so much more interesting and edgy stuff out there. As a person he’s not living in a strasphere relevant to most of us. 

Never thought we’d see the day but I think the UK is churning out more interesting stuff now. 

eta.. eg Aberdeen’s own (sort of) Headie One

Edited by Shandon Par

The whole "I dont know any of his songs so he must be shit" argument is hilarious when coming from boomers. You don't need to know them. The youngsters nowadays don't know any of the "hits" from your favourite bands or artists. Trying to say he doesn't have hits to people that know his music is so stupid it's laughable. The man has well over 20 classics. Sales wise or just straight up classic music wise he has them in abundance. 

13 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

The whole "I dont know any of his songs so he must be shit" argument is hilarious when coming from boomers. You don't need to know them. The youngsters nowadays don't know any of the "hits" from your favourite bands or artists. Trying to say he doesn't have hits to people that know his music is so stupid it's laughable. The man has well over 20 classics. Sales wise or just straight up classic music wise he has them in abundance. 

Did you just mis-age me?

29 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

I’m 43 and the first hip hop record I bought was Run DMC’s It’s Tricky (1986). Bought Kanye’s first couple of albums but he has been kicking about for 20 years now. I think he’s like a rock dinosaur. That’s not a criticism but I’m not really interested in what he has to say. Your man Dave, for example, is breathtaking IMO in terms of his lyrics and maturity for such a young lad. 

Just don’t think you can say it’s only auld codgers who don't like Kanye when he’s been releasing music since before the current hottest talents were born. 

15 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I’m 43 and the first hip hop record I bought was Run DMC’s It’s Tricky (1986). Bought Kanye’s first couple of albums but he has been kicking about for 20 years now. I think he’s like a rock dinosaur. That’s not a criticism but I’m not really interested in what he has to say. Your man Dave, for example, is breathtaking IMO in terms of his lyrics and maturity for such a young lad. 

Just don’t think you can say it’s only auld codgers who don't like Kanye when he’s been releasing music since before the current hottest talents were born. 

I agree with your general point. Kanye isn't the youths up and coming artist but he's still seen as Box Office, his album has been trending for weeks now, he's picked up fans from every generation and his stocks are still probably the highest for any rapper on the planet right now in terms of who most rap fans like. I'm a huge Eminem fan but it's clear that he's basically an old duffer now and doesn't get the same reception that Kanye does with the youngsters. 

My point was more about people saying they don't know any of his songs as if that's some useful point. The same people could probably name more Eminem songs than Kanye but that doesn't mean he's currently more popular. 

Agree fully on the UK front and I think it's been like that for the past decade at least, J Cole and Kendrick are the only two rapper rappers that I listen to from 'Murica over UK acts. 

7 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I've just listened to Kanye's top tracks on spotify

I  don't know if he's ever built a song on a Coldplay sample

But he seems like precisely the kind of arsehole that would think that's a good idea

Absolute 10/10

1 hour ago, SANTAN said:

Absolute 10/10

There's an argument that the rap that followed the Ice T and Public Enemy era was always going to struggle to match that standard because all the best samples of James Brown's band had already been used.

Which is fair enough

But there's simply no excuse for that coldplay shit

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Nice that he starts his song by shouting his name, Craig Davids lawyers will be in touch for copyright infringement ;)

Oh f**k, that's another thing that steams my rice. I get that it's for self-promotion, and to avoid that "ooh, I heard this really good song today, but I've no idea who it's by" thing, but it's fucking annoying and it's going to lead to "buy Coca-Cola" repeated in the background of the next generation's pop music.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Oh f**k, that's another thing that steams my rice. I get that it's for self-promotion, and to avoid that "ooh, I heard this really good song today, but I've no idea who it's by" thing, but it's fucking annoying and it's going to lead to "buy Coca-Cola" repeated in the background of the next generation's pop music.

I think it's tragic tbh, make your "sound" distinctive and folk will know who it is rather than adding your name into the song lyrics.

Jason is a good shout Arthur as is "Mr Worldwide"

So from a stand point of hating his music, I guess my only interest in the lad is the influence he has over what seems like a very easily swayed following.

His wife went on about how bi-polar he is and that we should be too hard on some of the shit he says, but the bottom line is that if he has mental health issues (and I think we can all agree he does) then he shouldn't be allowed to broadcast that nonsense to millions of people, and if he does it's absolutely right that he is challenged on them.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/08/kanye-west-takes-anti-vaccine-anti-abortion-stance-in-us-presidential-bid

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

So from a stand point of hating his music, I guess my only interest in the lad is the influence he has over what seems like a very easily swayed following.

His wife went on about how bi-polar he is and that we should be too hard on some of the shit he says, but the bottom line is that if he has mental health issues (and I think we can all agree he does) then he shouldn't be allowed to broadcast that nonsense to millions of people, and if he does it's absolutely right that he is challenged on them.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/08/kanye-west-takes-anti-vaccine-anti-abortion-stance-in-us-presidential-bid

I still think Trump had a hand in his bid either as inspiration or directly to split the young, likely democratic, vote. 

Thankfully he struggled to get his paperwork in order so wasn't on most stats ballots.

But yes his campaign was unbelievable and if it's as bad as his ex wife says it is he should be committed.