Kanye West changes name

He is a musical genius undoubtedly. Aside from the numerous classic albums he has made he also changed the rap game. 808s and Heartbreak spawned pretty much every singer type donny that came through after him. I saw him live in Glasgow back in 2008 or some shit, the stage show was unreal. Probably the best live performer I've seen. 

This is an underated classic by the big man. 

And he delivered this masterpiece...

I don't think he's an especially good rapper but the production and beats on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, GOOD Summer, Yeezus especially and Life of Pablo to a lesser extent were all superb. 

He's also a fucking lunatic and frequently stupid as f**k which is miles more interesting than the vast majority of bland dullards who make up the modern music industry.

14 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Dunno if I’m being whooshed here but that’s not true

I vaguely remember a QI episode where they discussed "Ye" just being the Old English way of writing "The", like how the letter 'f' was sometimes used instead of 's' (you occasionally still see amusing clippings from books where words like "suck" used the old-fashioned spelling).

All of the additional Es just appeared to have been for show too, so Ye Olde Knockinge Shoppe would've just been pronounced "The Old Knocking Shop".

13 hours ago, SANTAN said:

He is a musical genius undoubtedly.

Can you flesh this out a bit? To me a musical genius is someone like Frank Zappa or Bob Dylan or Prince, they do stuff that most others can't, either musically or lyrically. Kanye doesn't seem especially genius to me in either lyrical content or in musical composition, given that he makes all his music on a computer programme that me or you could do with a 6 week course. I'm not a big rap fan, so I'll take your word for it that he's changed that genre but when I hear rap music these days I can't say there's a noticeable difference to what has gone before, but I accept that I don't really seek out rap and only ever hear it if it's on the radio in work or in a pub. I just hate folk throwing genius around, and folk who compare him to Prince are fucking at it. 

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I vaguely remember a QI episode where they discussed "Ye" just being the Old English way of writing "The", like how the letter 'f' was sometimes used instead of 's' (you occasionally still see amusing clippings from books where words like "suck" used the old-fashioned spelling).

All of the additional Es just appeared to have been for show too, so Ye Olde Knockinge Shoppe would've just been pronounced "The Old Knocking Shop".

The 'Y' comes from printers not having a thorn tile so using the closest thing they had.

It's a 'th' sound, not a Y

49 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Can you flesh this out a bit? To me a musical genius is someone like Frank Zappa or Bob Dylan or Prince, they do stuff that most others can't, either musically or lyrically. Kanye doesn't seem especially genius to me in either lyrical content or in musical composition, given that he makes all his music on a computer programme that me or you could do with a 6 week course. I'm not a big rap fan, so I'll take your word for it that he's changed that genre but when I hear rap music these days I can't say there's a noticeable difference to what has gone before, but I accept that I don't really seek out rap and only ever hear it if it's on the radio in work or in a pub. I just hate folk throwing genius around, and folk who compare him to Prince are fucking at it. 

Where do I sign up for a six week course in how to compose music like Kanye West?

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Where do I sign up for a six week course in how to compose music like Kanye West?

Search for "online music production course" and choose from any of the thousands available. I get the point that you still need to have to taste to programme a computer to play good music but it's easier to make things when you've got a sample base of things that already sound amazing and you can just cut and paste them wherever you like. I think he's got some great songs and is obviously important to his genre but he's not a genius for me. 

Exactly that. It's the same chat as when people say "pop music is so formulaic". If that's true then why don't you churn out 23 number one hits like Max Martin, become wildly rich and finally move out of your flat in Coatbridge?

To say that someone like Max Martin isn't a genius because he works on a computer is beyond yer da to the point of satire.