Denmark v Scotland

Just now, GroundskeeperWillie said:

I thought Hanley did well, but my main concern was with him on the right side of defence.  For me he's not got the pace for that position, as demonstrated by the fact that the two goals came down that side (although in fairness to Hanley he was ruthlessly exposed by McLean inexplicably going for a stroll without a care in the world...).  I think Hanley is extremely effective the central defender in the three as he can do the bowling shoe-ugly stuff particularly well (and did tonight), but his lack of pace can be an issue, especially when we didn't really have a proper right wing-back to cover him.

You're right though, as for the rest, at least Gilmour tried to stand up and be counted, but he wasn't helped by the rest of the midfield, and as someone else pointed out we actually miss someone like Jack, even McTominay in that defensive midfield role who can break up attacks effectively and try and kickstart attacks.  McGregor, as he has been for a lot of his recent spell with Scotland, was aimless and McLean was sadly dire.

Hanley I'm sure was clocked as one of the fastest players at the Euros.  His lack of positional discipline is his biggest problem 

I thought Hanley did well, but my main concern was with him on the right side of defence.  For me he's not got the pace for that position, as demonstrated by the fact that the two goals came down that side (although in fairness to Hanley he was ruthlessly exposed by McLean inexplicably going for a stroll without a care in the world...).  I think Hanley is extremely effective the central defender in the three as he can do the bowling shoe-ugly stuff particularly well (and did tonight), but his lack of pace can be an issue, especially when we didn't really have a proper right wing-back to cover him.
You're right though, as for the rest, at least Gilmour tried to stand up and be counted, but he wasn't helped by the rest of the midfield, and as someone else pointed out we actually miss someone like Jack, even McTominay in that defensive midfield role who can break up attacks effectively and try and kickstart attacks.  McGregor, as he has been for a lot of his recent spell with Scotland, was aimless and McLean was sadly dire.
Agree with all this except the bit about hanley
. I used to get him mixed up with the other guy he partnered a lot (under wee gordon). He was slow. Hanley has a surprising amount of pace. Hes not mobile , but hes fast like a train is fast with no real mobility (when he collides , hes going all in)

17 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Moldova won't be as easy as some on here are making out.

See apart from countries smaller than Kilmarnock, I’d say Moldova are probably the worst team in Europe just now.

If we don’t beat them, it’ll be the worst result in our history. We’ll beat them though. 

Denmark are a decent side and a couple of levels above us atm. I don't think anyone realistically expected us to either get anything tonight, or finish ahead of them in the group.

It's down to the Austria game now. We shouldn't fear going to Vienna, but he simply has to get the selection and game plan right from the start.

2 minutes ago, greenockraver said:

Agree with all this except the bit about hanley
. I used to get him mixed up with the other guy he partnered a lot (under wee gordon). He was slow. Hanley has a surprising amount of pace. Hes not mobile , but hes fast like a train is fast with no real mobility (when he collides , hes going all in)

Hanley being fast like a train with no mobility is superb.

2-0 to a very good Denmark side isn't too bad, frankly I feared worse though it's a shame we didn't at least fire a few more shots.

It's a bit of a concern that we look:

Ageing in goal.

Vulnerable at the back.

Have a midfield with too many headless chickens.

Carry almost zero threat up top.

I'm not sure if we actually have better players who aren't being picked, probably not to be fair but I wonder if Clark could look to some younger players who might develop and whom play certain roles and could provide more, I sometimes feel we carry several nothing players who aren't terrible but aren't particularly good at anything either. McGregor and McLean would be examples, OK players but neither is a playmaker, a goal threat nor a destroyer. Maybe Gilmour would benefit from having a more technically limited shitkicker alongside him.

Nisbet could be someone worth a proper go. All things considered he's not as good a player as Adams but I'd fancy him to poke more goals in over a run of games as he can finish. Perhaps both should be playing.