Denmark v Scotland

8 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Denmark didn’t get out of first gear in the 2nd half mate. We were quite simply outclassed tonight.

Not denying that but at the same time they probably done the same once they went 2 goals up in Vienna.

Tonight was always a free hit. The next 2 are the big ones.

Positives:

At least it was only 2-0

We at least looked slightly better second half

We've got players back for Moldova on Saturday.

Surely we can't get worse

Negatives

One of the most abject first half performances I've ever witnessed.  Nearly as oafish and catastrophic as the pumping off Kazhakstan (which should have seen McLeish served his jotters on the spot)

This game highlighted our technical deficiencies (i.e. we really don't have anybody technically gifted, perhaps Gilmour, but very little else)

Andy Robertson - I'd be very tempted to drop him for at least the Moldova game, because defensively tonight he was atrocious (even in the second half when he went back to his natural position)

I tried to make this point earlier, but the server decided to serve up as equally a dire performance as the team - technically we are miles away from some of the better teams, we have no real pace, no-one with a swagger that can cut open defences (I may get pelters here, but who cares, someone like McFadden in his pomp).  Denmark offered all of what we can't, and while Clarke gets deserved flak for the selection choices and formation, particularly first half, I'd struggle to see what changes a new manager could affect, particularly when we are so short of technically proficient players (yes, I know we have players in the EPL etc, but mainly defence and midfield)

We're probably saying the same things we've said for over a decade now, and that will never change with the shoddy, self-serving organisation we have.  We can hype up the Performance Schools etc, but with no cohesion behind the organisation of it, we'll remain light years behind.

Hanley was good tonight.
Apart from that... [emoji848]
Clarke's choice to mix up the wing backs backfired horribly. Fair play he changed it though instead of digging his heels in, bit I can't help but wonder if we might have managed to dig out a point if we had started with the lineup that kicked off the second half.

It wisny nice tonight but it never is watching us for any extended period of time. The 2nd half definitely showed that if we cant compete with pot 1, we have some stuff that can at least challenge for 2

I guess thats how i feel. Its shit lads.. i wish we were croatia but it is what it is

Daft setup by Clarke in the first half and disrupting the back 5 hugely was costly. It didn't even need hindsight, not one of my group of pals picked Tierney and Robertson as the two wing backs. Tierney looked like a fish out of water and none of the three centre halves could carry the ball forward either. After the Czech game in the Euros, you wonder what Clarke thinks when he is faced with injuries and disruption to his first 11. He doesn't look able to react and setup a different team whatsoever.

Second half was better albeit not amazing and the Danes clearly were happy with their lot. The positive signs were Gilmour, Fraser to me looks a good option at RWB and it gives us a better outlet going forward on that side. Christie to me probably should be the "second striker" as his energy allows us to press high up the park. Not convinced who should start up front as both struggle and lacking a final ball from the middle of the park.

Yet another chastening night watching Scotland in the last 20 years. Must be absolutely daft to care as much as I do.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Hanley was good tonight.
Apart from that... emoji848.png
Clarke's choice to mix up the wing backs backfired horribly. Fair play he changed it though instead of digging his heels in, bit I can't help but wonder if we might have managed to dig out a point if we had started with the lineup that kicked off the second half.

I thought Hanley did well, but my main concern was with him on the right side of defence.  For me he's not got the pace for that position, as demonstrated by the fact that the two goals came down that side (although in fairness to Hanley he was ruthlessly exposed by McLean inexplicably going for a stroll without a care in the world...).  I think Hanley is extremely effective the central defender in the three as he can do the bowling shoe-ugly stuff particularly well (and did tonight), but his lack of pace can be an issue, especially when we didn't really have a proper right wing-back to cover him.

You're right though, as for the rest, at least Gilmour tried to stand up and be counted, but he wasn't helped by the rest of the midfield, and as someone else pointed out we actually miss someone like Jack, even McTominay in that defensive midfield role who can break up attacks effectively and try and kickstart attacks.  McGregor, as he has been for a lot of his recent spell with Scotland, was aimless and McLean was sadly dire.