Denmark v Scotland

The reasoning is understandable, it just looks worse in hindsight. We currently have 23 players in the squad of which 19 have travelled to Denmark. 

• Aug 26th: Stuart Armstrong pulled out of the squad. (Squad size:25)
  • Aug 28th: John McGinn out of Denmark game. (Squad size: 25)
  • Aug 29th: Nathan Patterson out of Denmark game. (Squad size: 25)
  • Aug 30th: Greg Taylor and James Forrest pulled out of the squad. No Call ups, Enough cover, Limited time. (Squad size: 23)
  • Aug 31st: Stephen O'Donnell and Kevin Nisbet out of Denmark game. Travel to Denmark. (Squad size: 23)

Edited by 2426255

8 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Robertson and Tierney have never played right wing back - why do you find that so hard to understand?

I don't I'm just relaying what Steve Clarke said, I left a note of it below for you.

Not having a list of replacements to call upon if the worst happens is incredibly short sighted.

He does have a list of replacements in his head and on his laptop, he chose not to call them up for the reasons detailed below and in the press conference.

Your condescending, contrarian act is fucking shite btw. 

Don't give a f**k what you think mate. 🤫

Steve Clarke could have said McLean could play right back. Even if it his genuine conviction that it’s possible, it’s a bad idea.

Suggesting Robertson or Tierney is a media-ready deflection. He knows that if we have to, it’d be a fucking mess.

The beauty of this situation is that we don’t even need to use hindsight - this was both predicted and expected.

10 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Steve Clarke could have said McLean could play right back. Even if it his genuine conviction that it’s possible, it’s a bad idea.

Suggesting Robertson or Tierney is a media-ready deflection. He knows that if we have to, it’d be a fucking mess.

The beauty of this situation is that we don’t even need to use hindsight - this was both predicted and expected.

Stephen O'Donnell is ready to play as is Ryan Fraser. No-one on here predicted Stephen O'Donnell wouldn't be able to travel due to Danish Covid restrictions. Steve Clarke admitted that was a curve ball and yes probably an error from someone, likely not Steve Clarke. Or are you saying that was a media deflection too?

Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

Stephen O'Donnell is ready to play as is Ryan Fraser. No-one on here predicted Stephen O'Donnell wouldn't be able to play due to Danish Covid restrictions. Steve Clarke admitted that was a curve ball and yes probably an error from someone, likely not Steve Clarke. Or are you saying that was a media deflection too?

I’m saying that if you plan to fly with one right back you’re already making yourself a hostage to fortune, which is exactly what happened - and that’s with a generous allowance for this f**k up not being his responsibility.

17 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I’m saying that if you plan to fly with one right back you’re already making yourself a hostage to fortune, which is exactly what happened - and that’s with a generous allowance for this f**k up not being his responsibility.

I guess we just disagree then. He planned to fly with two options at right wing back for the Denmark game (O'Donnell, Fraser) leaving three options for the Moldova and Austria games (O'Donnell, Fraser, Patterson), I just don't think that's unreasonable. It's also not being generous to suggest Steve Clarke wasn't responsible for knowing whether his players meet foreign COVID regulations and would suggest he probably made decisions based on advice taken on that point - If you are fair minded I think you'd concede that.

Edited by 2426255

24 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I guess we just disagree then. He planned to fly with two options at right wing back for the Denmark game (O'Donnell, Fraser) leaving three options for the Moldova and Austria games (O'Donnell, Fraser, Patterson), I just don't think that's unreasonable. It's also not being generous to suggest Steve Clarke wasn't responsible for knowing whether his players meet foreign COVID regulations and would suggest he probably made decisions based on advice taken on that point - If you are fair minded I think you'd concede that.

Perhaps. I don’t think it’s reasonable to use Ryan Fraser - someone who has barely played club football for months - as a back up wing back, especially considering we’ve never played him there against anyone any good.

Beyond Spinazolla and the over-praised Luke Shaw, Maelle, was the best left back at Euro 2020. We’ve allowed a world class full back to be played against a non-playing diminutive second striker.

You could easily argue that we don't have any good options at right wing back to deal with Joakim Maehle and perhaps the threat of counter attacks using Ryan Frasers pace in behind might offer the best form of defence in attack. It's swings and roundabouts, we just have to get on with it and stop the blame game - it achieves nothing.

Edited by 2426255

Our wing-backs spend most of the game in the opposing half even when we're playing good teams (eg O'Donnell against England). Fraser has played that role plenty of times at club level too so I don't have any real worries about him. He's not really a lot different in style to Patterson who a lot of folk wanted to play this game anyway.

The issue is the lack of cover if he gets injured, and also to a lesser extent the fact that we now can't use him as an attacker off the bench.

45 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

My only worry with Fraser playing RWB is whether he'll last the 90mins there with no one to replace him if he tires. 

Can Ferguson play there? 

He never has for Aberdeen as far as I can remember.

I think I would be going 4-3-3 now, and trying to pin the Denmark wing backs in with Christie and Fraser out wide. 

Gordon 

Tierney       Hanley     Cooper     Robertson

McClean   Gilmour   McGregor  

Fraser                                                 Christie 

Adams 

Just now, 2426255 said:

You don't give up mate, what are you trying to say?

I think that much is obvious.  I stated we're in a unique position.  It was pointed out the Denmark had lost players.  I responded to clarify that they've replaced them all.

So back to point one, we're the only country in this absurd position.