Denmark v Scotland

I really thought Ralston would have been brought in. I've not seen much of Ferguson so far this season, has he done enough to merit the call up?

Most of our players are at a similar level and it's not that big of a deal if someone pulls out. We're more of a unit than reliant on individuals. That said I still fear an absolute roasting by the bacon lovers. If we get anything it will be a bonus.

BBC won't let you pick players that aren't designated, so below doesn't show what I'd pick, I'd have Ryan Fraser in at Right Back over O'Donnell. Playing at a higher level and 5 mins here and 10 there for Newcastle beats zero in 3 for O'Donnell and a far from glorious start.

I'm going for McLean as a) the squad is decimated b) he has a wealth of experience c) this will be damage retention and a break away as our best hope. Turnbull to replace whoever is goosed from 60 mins on.

Confident when the draw was made Clarke already had it down as a zero pointer with 1 a big ask.

image.thumb.png.8e4578ba57e3b42b93d3cbbc6d023008.png

Preferred Starting XI and system.

image.png.4180490384d748e405146322d50abaf2.png

System: Russia played the 3-4-2-1/ 5-2-3 system and although they ultimately were beaten 4-1 it worked really well particularly in the first half until Mikkel Damsgaard scored from nothing and Roman Zobnin gifted Denmark their second goal with a loose back pass to set them on their way. Plenty of pace and bodies in midfield to help to steal the ball in midfield and counter attack Denmark.

Defensively Callum McGregor and Billy Gilmour are definitely a little lightweight, we have seen  particularly with Billy Gilmour being vulnerable for Norwich, but we don't really have a strong physical defensive midfielder other than Lewis Ferguson who I'm not 100% sure on yet. I wouldn't object to Callum McGregor being swapped out for Kenny McLean as they're pretty similar.

I think the defence will be a back five for lots of the game which is why I went for Stephen O'Donnell, but I was tempted to take Ryan Fraser because sometimes the best form of defence is attack and the Danish left wing back Joakim Maehle will leave a lot of space in behind which Ryan Fraser could exploit better than Stephen O'Donnell. 

In attack I think we do need energy so that's why I've gone for Ryan Christie over David Turnbull and I could understand if Clarke chooses to use Lyndon Dykes as he would potentially leave space for other attackers by drawing defenders in, however I doubt we will get much joy from Aerial attacks. 

It also wouldn't surprise me if Steve Clarke put Andy Robertson to RWB, Kieran Tierney to LWB and Liam Cooper to LCB, he can be a very creative coach in that way.

Alternative Starting XI and system.

image.png.582c26f046946863d80494d39d5d2c4b.png

Edited by 2426255

Could a move from Christie, Ferguson or Nisbet mess with our prep for this one?
Ah well, Lanarkshire Live saying Nisbet won't be travelling anyway. No idea if that's to do with transfer speculation but it makes a nice article to link the two.

9 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
24 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
Could a move from Christie, Ferguson or Nisbet mess with our prep for this one?

Ah well, Lanarkshire Live saying Nisbet won't be travelling anyway. No idea if that's to do with transfer speculation but it makes a nice article to link the two.

It’s a weird one, he missed our game against Dundee with covid but he played (& scored) on Saturday. He did go off but Jack Ross said it was just cramp having not trained for the past week.

There was an enquiry from Swansea yesterday but nothing else that’s in the public domain.

Could do with not losing any more players for the Denmark game or getting one or two replacements which won't happen now, although our first XI is not too badly affected if we need to change things up are we going to have enough options from the available substitutes? I make it that 20 will fly to Copenhagen.

Edited by 2426255