Denmark v Scotland

If we end up losing Patterson, SOD and Forrest for Denmark - and especially if they’re all likely to miss Moldova as well - we have to be calling up at least one, and probably two, right backs to the squad. I’m sure Fraser would do fine at home to Moldova but playing a guy who is primarily a left winger at club level at RWB against Denmark would be suicidal. We went down that road against Israel a couple of years back with Callum Paterson at RB and it didn’t go well. 

image.thumb.png.cdaa4b4cba6333bdee87a216ae5df8d1.png

As it stands with Nathan Patterson and John McGinn potentially due back on Saturday. Playing with just one holding midfielder would be quite a ballsy move so I would think Steve Clarke will go with two meaning we will play with four midfielders and one striker or three midfielders and two strikers.

Edited by 2426255

Denmark have had five call offs:

• Vestergaard (Leicester City)
  • Boilesen (FC Copenhagen)
  • Falk (FC Copenhagen)
  • Billing (AFC Bournemouth)
  • Cornelius (Trabzonspor)

Replaced by

• Nelsson (Galatasaray)
  • Maxso (Brondby)
  • Lindstrom (Eintracht Frankfurt)
  • Jensen (Brentford)
  • Bruun Larsen (Hoffenheim) 

I highly doubt Clarke will experiment too much away to Denmark with a major pumping peaking over the Copenhagen skyline.

Realistically 4 points against Moldova and Austria keeps us in the running but we are crossing our fingers and hoping Austria don't win in Israel and we'll probably need to get something off Denmark in the home match.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Thought this looked as decent as we could get until I realised you've got Hendry instead of Cooper.

I really, really don't understand why Cooper is constantly overlooked by Scotland fans. Captains a side (as part of a back 3) in arguably the best league in the world but he's never the first name in the defence for people. Madness.

After a bad start (against a monstrous striker then an incredible team), Cooper's been fine for us. The Netherlands game is the only one where he's really stood out but he's been steady in every other one. It seems that Clarke won't give him a go on the right of the three though, and I can kind of see why as it's difficult to do what the outside CBs do when you're on your wrong side. I do still think he should've been tried there by now.

No idea why he’s not calling anyone up, Hickey is playing in Serie A, get him in.
Naismith helping coach seems a bit random.
He said in the clip I listened to that we wouldn't be calling anyone up for the Denmark game. If he's added that there won't be anyone called up for the rest of the games then I'd be worried, especially considering he said last week that rotation will be important.

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I really, really don't understand why Cooper is constantly overlooked by Scotland fans. Captains a side (as part of a back 3) in arguably the best league in the world but he's never the first name in the defence for people. Madness.

Isn't it because of the skillset that Steve Clarke is looking for from his Right Centre Back? Neither Grant Hanley nor Liam Cooper possess the attributes to link the defence to the midfield/attack which was one of the main complaints when Scotland opened their Euro 2020 campaign with Liam Cooper standing in for Kieran Tierney. I'm sure we would see similar with Grant Hanley playing as RCB. So I'd suggest that's why we don't see Liam Cooper much. 

15 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

It's ability i'm referring too

Hard to see much evidence of Kerr's ability standing out that much compared to McKenna. He's not that young either and can't get into a Scotland squad that regularly names 5 or 6 centre backs.