The laundry thread

47 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Since I was a kid I've always loved the sound of washing machines.  I used to snuggle up with my dogs and just lie there napping as a kid.  The whirring and water sloshing sound was so relaxing.   Turns out I'm not alone.  There's a shit load of videos on youtube of washing machine asmr.  

On my bad tinnitus days I have one playing to tune it out a little bit.

I imagine there's a lot of videos on the net of women sitting on top of washing machines on the spin cycle too..

If I do the clothes washing, I'll  start at 07:00 on a Saturday morning, all finished and hung by 09:00 (Vietcong style). Dried by 10:00, can take in, folded and placed in each persons separate cupboard/drawer.

If the wife does it, she hanging it out at about 18:00 in the evening.....how the f**k does it take all day? 

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I imagine there's a lot of videos on the net of women sitting on top of washing machines on the spin cycle too..

Kinda moved past that and into the step-Maw with her head stuck in the washing machine these days. I’m glad mine’s top loading. 

If possible then clothes are hung outside to dry. If not possible then it's a minefield and certain items just cannot be put near a tumble drier as it'll shrink them beyond another wear. Underwear and work uniform only in tumble. 

All clothes washed at 30 - again, bar underwear and work clothes. 

8 hours ago, Meldrew said:

i would presume if either part breaks, the whole lot is fucked ? 

I suppose.  However the main issue is that it is a compromise and the dryer is not very good at drying.

I read one long rant and at the end of it was "oh and by the way, did I tell you how much I detest these machines".

It certainly put me off the idea.

12 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Does anyone here like doing laundry? I think it’s probably the menial task I despise more than any other. 

Women seem to be obsessed with it, including the arcane practice of hanging out clothes with wee pegs only to have to unpeg them and take the back in again. They talk of “good drying days”.

I have a tumble dryer right beside the washing machine. Given my way I would just chuck everything everything from one machine to the other but that seemingly will not do and I often get involved in the hanging out and taking in of washing. 

I have 3 kids who all do swimming and various other classes. They also wear clothes once before chucking them on their bedroom floor, then in time, into the dirty clothes baskets in the airing cupboard. These baskets are from IKEA and are helpfully split into whites, coloured and dark clothes.

I gave up with the washing line ages ago as I live in a country which doesn’t get much sun and I don’t like smelling foostie. I have a tumble dryer in the shed which works on a sensor so as not to shrink all your clothes. 

Our washing machine and tumble dryer get abused and we are killing the planet. I don’t like doing laundry but it’s just something you need to do if you don’t want to smell horrible.

Edited by Scary Bear

12 hours ago, Big Rider said:

Don’t mind the washing at all. Line dryed clothes are brilliant and worth the fannying about.

My wife washes the f**k out of everything and adds tons of washing powder despite me reminding her that our lovely soft water doesn’t need as much.

I like to flick my clothes individually before hanging to dry to straighten them out. Saves any ironing which is a real thankless menial task. She leaves them all scrunched up to dry which should be against the law.

Correct

11 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I considered getting a combination washer/dryer but I read numerous reviews first.

Less than kind. 

I can safely say I know why they are not common place. 

I’ve had one of these back in the day. It wasn’t very good at drying stuff. Plus if you have a lot of clothes to wash then dry it just holds up progress.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I have no idea what setting my washing machine is on.  I just push the 'Start' button and let it do it's thing.  Seems to have worked so far.

Ours is on "Synthetics" I think. So far, so good

Where I am we don't have a hot water supply (except for the shower 'cos we're posh) so everything is cold washed.  During the most humid time we use the dryer function but most of the time  stuff is hung out - no need to iron.  

Like most, it seems, on here I'm a thoroughly modern chap who doesn't mind doing his share of the menial tasks around the house. I'm not a huge fan of the laundry, but as a fully functioning adult I am more than capable of the task. (Majority of stuff on a 1hr cycle at 30-40°, with line drying when the weather allows).

Her brother in law, on the other hand is one of those useless p***ks who revels in the "fûck that, I don't even know how to switch it on, hahahaha"!!!! excuse. 

Actually mate, you're a 40 old man, with a fairly responsible job and a couple of kids, and operating a washing machine is a simple task. You're just a fat, lazy p***k and should be embarrassed/ashamed that you sit on your hole and leave your mrs to do it all, to the extent that she's struggling with it on top of her job and it's passed on again for the mother in law to do.

There's obviously other things we'd all rather be doing, but getting someone else to wash your undercrackers for you, simply because you can't be arsed yourself is a minter for a grown man. Or perhaps I'm just allowing my hatred for the fat gimp to spill into a simple discussion around washing clothes. Who knows?

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

When I go travelling I usually take enough clothes for 4 or 5 days.  For long trips this means finding a laundrette wherever I go.  I see it as a natural part of the trip and I always enjoy having a bag of clean clothes again.

For holidays I take a couple of pairs of shorts, half a dozen cheap t-shirts and half a dozen cheap boxer shorts. Wear and throw away, buy more cheap ones when I'm out there. Come back with the same shorts. 

That and a towel is all you need. Never throw the towel away. 

38 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Like most, it seems, on here I'm a thoroughly modern chap who doesn't mind doing his share of the menial tasks around the house. I'm not a huge fan of the laundry, but as a fully functioning adult I am more than capable of the task. (Majority of stuff on a 1hr cycle at 30-40°, with line drying when the weather allows).

Her brother in law, on the other hand is one of those useless p***ks who revels in the "fûck that, I don't even know how to switch it on, hahahaha"!!!! excuse. 

Actually mate, you're a 40 old man, with a fairly responsible job and a couple of kids, and operating a washing machine is a simple task. You're just a fat, lazy p***k and should be embarrassed/ashamed that you sit on your hole and leave your mrs to do it all, to the extent that she's struggling with it on top of her job and it's passed on again for the mother in law to do.

There's obviously other things we'd all rather be doing, but getting someone else to wash your undercrackers for you, simply because you can't be arsed yourself is a minter for a grown man. Or perhaps I'm just allowing my hatred for the fat gimp to spill into a simple discussion around washing clothes. Who knows?

His wife and mother-in-law are enablers for said fat gimp. They should tell fat gimp he is a middle-aged man with responsibilities. If that doesn’t work then the wife should bin him and get ‘uncle Mike’ in. Let fat gimp run free, while paying for uncle Mike to take the kids for an ice cream.

18 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

For holidays I take a couple of pairs of shorts, half a dozen cheap t-shirts and half a dozen cheap boxer shorts. Wear and throw away, buy more cheap ones when I'm out there. Come back with the same shorts. 

That and a towel is all you need. Never throw the towel away. 

Are you aware of the ongoing environmental and sustainability crisis?

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Are you aware of the ongoing environmental and sustainability crisis?

Are you aware that he never wears the same pair of socks twice? And not just on holiday. All the time.