The laundry thread

Does anyone here like doing laundry? I think it’s probably the menial task I despise more than any other. 

Women seem to be obsessed with it, including the arcane practice of hanging out clothes with wee pegs only to have to unpeg them and take the back in again. They talk of “good drying days”.

I have a tumble dryer right beside the washing machine. Given my way I would just chuck everything everything from one machine to the other but that seemingly will not do and I often get involved in the hanging out and taking in of washing. 

Apart from my uniform (dry clean only, for free thank f**k) everything of mine goes in the machine at 40. Then straight in the drier. 

For some reason, women seem to think that there is some bamboozling science to it all. Best just to leave them to it ;) 

Does anyone here like doing laundry? I think it’s probably the menial task I despise more than any other. 
Women seem to be obsessed with it, including the arcane practice of hanging out clothes with wee pegs only to have to unpeg them and take the back in again. They talk of “good drying days”.
I have a tumble dryer right beside the washing machine. Given my way I would just chuck everything everything from one machine to the other but that seemingly will not do and I often get involved in the hanging out and taking in of washing. 
Wee tip. You can buy a machine that incorporates the washing AND the drying, you don't need both these days. Alternatively twin tubs and mangles it is.

If I didn't do the washing in my house then nobody would. To the stage where my missus would go and buy a new packet of pants or socks for the kids instead of just putting on a wash.  And if for some reason she did decide to put a wash on she would just leave it in the washing machine for days.   

Don’t mind the washing at all. Line dryed clothes are brilliant and worth the fannying about.

My wife washes the f**k out of everything and adds tons of washing powder despite me reminding her that our lovely soft water doesn’t need as much.

I like to flick my clothes individually before hanging to dry to straighten them out. Saves any ironing which is a real thankless menial task. She leaves them all scrunched up to dry which should be against the law.

Just now, sparky88 said:

A tumble drier is an expensive waste of space that shrinks your clothes.

April- September: hang washing outside

Rest of the year: heated airer

Towels and underwear = tumble dryer.

Everything else = clothes hanger then onto drying rail.

we have a whirylgig thingy outside.  Mrs Back uses it occasionally.  I refuse to get involved.

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Why would you have a drier and not use it?

Hanging clothes out on the line like the Vietcong is for gimps.

there is absolutely no enjoyment putting clothes in a drier, there is nothing quite like a clear breezy day, getting those sheets and towels out on the line, i get more satisfaction from that, than i've ever had from International football

Since I was a kid I've always loved the sound of washing machines.  I used to snuggle up with my dogs and just lie there napping as a kid.  The whirring and water sloshing sound was so relaxing.   Turns out I'm not alone.  There's a shit load of videos on youtube of washing machine asmr.  

On my bad tinnitus days I have one playing to tune it out a little bit.

4 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Don’t mind the washing at all. Line dryed clothes are brilliant and worth the fannying about.

My wife washes the f**k out of everything and adds tons of washing powder despite me reminding her that our lovely soft water doesn’t need as much.

I like to flick my clothes individually before hanging to dry to straighten them out. Saves any ironing which is a real thankless menial task. She leaves them all scrunched up to dry which should be against the law.

powder ? i'm a pod man, however a colleague of my sister was also a pod user and her two dogs got into them, she found them both dead on the kitchen floor, sad story but a warning about the dangers of laundry

6 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

anyone willing to own up to using these dryers that are randomly all over the place, usually found at petrol stations and such like ?

Yeah*. Once. To wash and dry a big heavy quilt.

*Well, my wife used it.

8 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

anyone willing to own up to using these dryers that are randomly all over the place, usually found at petrol stations and such like ?

I suggested it for a duvet but the wife was having none of it. “Yuk, no way! Our duvet will have other people’s pubes and clag-nuts on it.”

Our washing machine blew up recently. Well, blew up is maybe a bit dramatic. Made a relatively loud and uncharacteristic noise, interrupting my enjoyment of a vinho verde, and ceased working. This story is unlikely to get any more interesting. Anyway, have yet to replace it, hence was at the launderette at 8am this morning and got a washing done and hung out before work. Met 2 nice people at the launderette. They didnt, they met me. It was a good drying day here. I also fixed a very minor issue with the car while I waited. I hope tomorrow is equally fulfilling, although I will have no requirement to do laundry tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Wee tip. You can buy a machine that incorporates the washing AND the drying, you don't need both these days. Alternatively twin tubs and mangles it is.

I considered getting a combination washer/dryer but I read numerous reviews first.

Less than kind. 

I can safely say I know why they are not common place. 

25 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

I suggested it for a duvet but the wife was having none of it. “Yuk, no way! Our duvet will have other people’s pubes and clag-nuts on it.”

pubes ? so they're only used by folk stuck in a bubble that never goes beyond the very early 90's ?

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I considered getting a combination washer/dryer but I read numerous reviews first.

Less than kind. 

I can safely say I know why they are not common place. 

i would presume if either part breaks, the whole lot is fucked ?