Stenhousemuir -vs- Kelty Hearts

Congratulations to our keeper for yet another outstanding display.  Not hard to see why others are going nuts on the Stenhousemuir section about him. People have said he is a liability and now we know he is gutless as well. Look forward to his display next week.

We played some good football until that clown got involved.

Hard to believe that 2/3 of the goals came direct from breakaways from our corners.

O'Reilly had a very good game and a great volley from Thomson which was unfortunately offside. Corbett continues to impress. Will be a hard decision when Crighton is fit, do we play all 3?

We desperately need a win.

Contemplating whether that keeper is the worst I've ever seen for Stenhousemuir.  And yes, he is. Worse than Jamie Barclay. The 3rd goal was horrific but what on earth was he doing for the 2nd. It was like watching an outfield player in nets. At least three times he tried to make saves with his feet. I have still to see him make a save of any  note. The young lad has to play next week and we hope and pray Smith gets fit soon. We will never win a game with that keeper.

It gives me no pleasure in writing this but Ryan Marshall is a dreadful goalkeeper and I do not want to see him play for Stenhousemuir again. His failure to stop Joe Cardle's slow-motion daisycutter was bad enough, but I cannot even begin to imagine what was going through his head at the third goal - why on earth did he try to leather the ball off a prostrate Jamie Barjonas, sending it flying into his own net, instead of diving low and gathering it? Hopeless, cowardly. I have no faith in Marshall at all and I think the upcoming SPFL Trust Trophy match with Cove Rangers will be a convenient excuse for Stephen Swift to play Davie Wilson instead (something he intimated in his post-match interview); let's home he can make the jersey his own.

I thought Stenhousemuir were relatively competitive until the third goal went in. Until that point, the game looked like a lot of fun - we passed the ball around well and had Kelty Hearts on the back foot in spells, but Marshall's howler and Alfredo Agyeman's well-taken second killed off the contest. From that point, the visitors controlled the game and we just punted high balls forward with no real thought. Adam Corbett played well and largely kept Agyeman quiet (a strange thing to write given the forward netted twice), while Robert Thomson grafted hard up top. We still need more from players like Tam Orr, Euan O'Reilly, Nat Wedderburn and Ross Forbes (even although he forced Darren Jamieson into a superb save from a free-kick and went on to hit the crossbar from 20 yards) and I still believe this squad is unbalanced and lacking in some key areas. The fact that we lost three goals on the counter tells its own story.

Kelty were very good and deserved the win, make no mistake. When I saw their team sheet with so many missing players, I thought we had a chance but they were the better team after scoring their second. Kallum Higginbotham was the best player on the park, Joe Cardle gave Bernard Coll a hard time and Andy Black had a good game doing all the messy stuff at the base of midfield. They play with flair, pace and ingenuity, they can suck the life out a game and they can speed things up when they need to. They'll get the better of most teams in the division.

The upcoming game against Cove is perhaps unwelcome but it does give us the chance to change things up and try something different. I still don't think the manager has found a way to get the best out of this group of players but he'll need to soon - Annan Athletic are on a tear at the moment, winning games and scoring for fun, and we'll be lucky to get something from that on current form.

Where is this first league win going to come from!

What a shambles.  Marshall’s positioning for the second and the level of shitebag he gets to in the third is just hilarious.

BJ Coll doesn’t exactly cover himself in glory at the third goal either.  He just runs in a straight line towards our own goal line, allowing Agyeman to continue advancing at ease.  There’s no pressure on Agyeman at all, despite a couple of heavy touches, and there’s no arcing of his run to block the passing line.  It’s the worst defending you’ll see all season.

There’s no excusing the utterly inept Marshall yesterday, however we should’ve defended much better than we did.

9 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Kelty's second and third goals are, somehow, much worse on the highlights. The third in particular is a shambles.

You created more chances against them than we did a few weeks ago, going by those highlights. Bit harsh to blame the keeper for the second one, these kind of low pacy shots are a nightmare for keepers, particularly when they bounce right before going in, but the third goal was very poor goalkeeping. 

It's not harsh in the slightest. A competent goalkeeper saves that and adjusts his feet far better than that for starters.

I'd worry for any keeper honestly looking at that and thinking they shouldn't save it.

1 minute ago, StewartyMac said:

You created more chances against them than we did a few weeks ago, going by those highlights. Bit harsh to blame the keeper for the second one, these kind of low pacy shots are a nightmare for keepers, particularly when they bounce right before going in, but the third goal was very poor goalkeeping. 

I'm going to have to disagree with you here! Joe Cardle's shot is travelling at about 5mph but because Ryan Marshall's footwork and positioning is all wrong, the the ball rolls into an unguarded corner of the net.

Stenny were rubbish last season but at least we had a goalkeeper we could trust in Paddy Martin. We're still rubbish this time around and our goalkeeper is actively making us worse!

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

It's not harsh in the slightest. A competent goalkeeper saves that and adjusts his feet far better than that for starters.

I'd worry for any keeper honestly looking at that and thinking they shouldn't save it.

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you here! 

Having been a keeper myself when I was (much) younger, those were the types of shots I hated facing for two reasons. 1. They are fucking awkward and 2. It looks like you've made an arse of it to everyone else. On this example, Marshall's positioning could possibly have been better, and yes, more often than not, he would save that type of shot, but they are a pain in the arse to deal with, trust me. 

There's no excusing the third goal however. That's 100% shitebaggery. 

Having been a keeper myself when I was (much) younger, those were the types of shots I hated facing for two reasons. 1. They are fucking awkward and 2. It looks like you've made an arse of it to everyone else. On this example, Marshall's positioning could possibly have been better, and yes, more often than not, he would save that type of shot, but they are a pain in the arse to deal with, trust me. 
Shat ap

33 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

Sorry but even putting the 3rd goal to one side, the issue with Marshall is that he never saves anything. So maybe in isolation you might not expect him to save that goal (although his attempt was laughable) it isn’t the first goal he has lost when you’ve said he might have done better. Keepers make saves and sometimes good ones. Even the goal last week against Cowden a good goalie might have saved it. And so on.

And then you come to the 3rd goal yesterday. Effectively the goal that killed the game off.