Stenhousemuir -vs- Kelty Hearts

If you're looking to kickstart your season and get that first win under your belt, you probably don't want to be coming up against an in-form Kelty Hearts side... but here we are! I think most people had Kevin Thomson's team pegged as champions before a ball was even kicked and I've yet to see anything to discredit that notion. They're a good group of players, with quality and depth in midfield and attack, and they'll cause bother for every team in League 2, especially a down-on-their-luck Stenhousemuir side. Expectations going into this one are low, but the good news is a pessimist can never be disappointed.

The Warriors played their best football of the league campaign so far against Cowdenbeath on Saturday, but given the Blue Brazil hadn't trained or played in a fortnight and could only select 14 players because of coronavirus protocols, that's really not saying much. Cowden were never put under a great deal of pressure and we barely tested their goalkeeper, despite having the better of the possession throughout. As I mentioned in the matchday thread, the team lacks drive in the middle of the park and has no threat down the left-hand side. If Robert Thomson and Darren Christie can be shackled, I don't think we're capable of causing problems.

I think the starting XI will be the same as last weekend's, for once. It'll be a big call from Stephen Swift if he reinstates Sean Crighton in the team when he wasn't really missed against Cowdenbeath - Adam Corbett did a largely good job of filling in for him - and that's probably the only real doubt. There will be a lot of pressure on the midfield to keep an eye on Kelty's attacking quartet and protect the defence, and I wish Ross Lyon all the very best in marking Joe Cardle.

Let's go with:

- Adam Brown - Robert Thomson - Darren Christie -

- Nat Wedderburn - Declan Hughes - Ross Forbes -

- Bernard Coll - Adam Corbett - Nicky Jamieson - Ross Lyon -

- Ryan Marshall -

I would be delighted if we can get anything from this match. Come on Stenny!

19 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Crighton was "ill" last weekend, which these days is a euphemism for something else

Tends to mean massive hangover these days. Like you, hope not

Re the team, we were told that forbes and wedderburn were both decent players but not box to box .... don't worry they will never play together - it will be one or the other and they will be surrounded by willing runners

They have played together - Is there a sense that this leaves us lacking in mobility?

Just now, true fan said:

nigel - do you mean covid? no team has been euphemistic about that or covered anything up as far as we know.

sfc have been lucky so far - fingers crossed

Didn't suggest anything was being covered up - I am just worried that it might be COVID related,  but as you say, fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Did Stenny not hand Cove an unexpected hiding last season or am I getting mixed up?

Chances of similar happening?

ETA.  Two seasons ago I meant obviously 😂

We did, yes, we were the first side to beat them in the SPFL. A combination of up-and-at-them tactics and a little slackness on Cove Rangers' part and we recorded a good 3-2 win over them.

The season went to utter shit almost immediately afterwards, but still.

7 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We did, yes, we were the first side to beat them in the SPFL. A combination of up-and-at-them tactics and a little slackness on Cove Rangers' part and we recorded a good 3-2 win over them.

The season went to utter shit almost immediately afterwards, but still.

Had it in my head it was about 6-1.  Maybe I am thinking about someone else.

4 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Numbers of travelling fans may well  be down this Saturday due to the legendary Scottish Coal  race taking place on Saturday in the village , lots of things planned and lots of sore heads to be had 

That's the most Fife thing I've ever heard.