Falkirk vs Queens Park

Having watched the highlights back both 'goals' do look offside. Gary Miller had his best game for us in a long time and was unlucky to see his shot come back off the post before the second.

Those fine margins combined with Ross' terrible miss and Morrison fluffing his penalty against the crossbar make you think it just wasn't our day.

The freekick for the goal is very soft, but Mutch should really position himself better and save it. Not convinced the wall was lined up properly either.

I thought the ref was a lot kinder to us in the second half, though the penalty is a clear foul and a moronic challenge from Fox (who other than that played well when he came on tbf). He charges in to the back of Keena with his forearm when the ball is still 3 feet above their heads.

Once Morrison had to go off and Keena was subbed we lost our attacking threat and the game was gone. Really highlights our desperate need for another player in the final third as Ompreon and Wilson clearly aren't the answer. No idea why McGuffie was put on the right when he came on as he also struggled.

Hopefully Morrison isn't injured as he was giving Robson an absolute roasting down the right all game, though for once his delivery wasn't quite up to standard.

Queens Park were easily the best side we've faced so far this season (and will be for the rest, assuming Montrose are of similar quality to last year). Simon Murray is a great player for this league and was also impressed with Brown. The ex-Falkirk players we knew would be a cut above most at this level.

With hindsight as others have said we should have sacrificed Hetherington for an attacker at half time as it was clear Queens Park were going to try and see the game out at 1-0

I'd also have been tempted to drop Ross deeper and push Telfer up as both would have had more influence on the game.

On another day we'd have won by a couple of goals so I'm not too concerned.

ps The Queens Park highlights puts ours to shame. Much better camera angle and no horrible commentary 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

10 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Having watched the highlights back both 'goals' do look offside. Gary Miller had his best game for us in a long time and was unlucky to see his shot come back off the post before the second.

Those fine margins combined with Ross' terrible miss and Morrison fluffing his penalty against the crossbar make you think it just wasn't our day.

The freekick for the goal is very soft, but Mutch should really position himself better and save it. Not convinced the wall was lined up properly either.

I thought the ref was a lot kinder to us in the second half, though the penalty is a clear foul and a moronic challenge from Fox (who other than that played well when he came on tbf). He charges in to the back of Keena with his forearm when the ball is still 3 feet above their heads.

Once Morrison had to go off and Keena was subbed we lost our attacking threat and the game was gone. Really highlights our desperate need for another player in the final third as Ompreon and Wilson clearly aren't the answer. No idea why McGuffie was put on the right when he came on as he also struggled.

Hopefully Morrison isn't injured as he was giving Robson an absolute roasting down the right all game, though for once his delivery wasn't quite up to standard.

Queens Park were easily the best side we've faced so far this season (and will be for the rest, assuming Montrose are of similar quality to last year). Simon Murray is a great player for this league and was also impressed with Brown. The ex-Falkirk players we knew would be a cut above most at this level.

With hindsight as others have said we should have sacrificed Hetherington for an attacker at half time as it was clear Queens Park were going to try and see the game out at 1-0

I'd also have been tempted to drop Ross deeper and push Telfer up as both would have had more influence on the game.

Easily the most balanced and accurate assessment of the game I’ve seen so far on this 

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

ps The Queens Park highlights puts ours to shame. Much better camera angle and no horrible commentary 

The highlights don't show Morrison offside, can only assume that the linesman got it right though.

I thought we played ok although not as effectively as previous matches, but that could have been down to how QP handled us. I thought Miller did have a good game and I think I'm right in saying that he's only had 3 serious efforts at goal for us and that he's hit the woodwork with all of them! 

Dixon was our MOM I felt, thought he had Murray in his back pocket throughout while Telfer also played well. Nesbit gets a bit frustrated when things aren't going for him and he needs to watch that. Keena shouldn't have been substituted (unless he was injured) as he's our biggest goal threat. No problem with bringing on Ompreon or Wilson at that point but it should have been Hetherington or Ross that made way.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Can you give me an example of an injury caused directly by a pitch?

Award yourself a chocolate medal for keeping this going.  If you're serious, you'd be better off asking your players whether they prefer grass or plastic and why.

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Award yourself a chocolate medal for keeping this going.  If you're serious, you'd be better off asking your players whether they prefer grass or plastic and why.

So, to answer his question, you can’t?

15 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Players from all clubs have been playing on many plastic pitches across Scotland for years now and we have trained on Lesser on one for years as well. 7 teams in this division play on plastic, we played on plastic half of last season and the last I heard we're keeping the plastic pitch at Lesser when we eventually move in. Why do some folk continually moan about it? Aye we all know grass is better but this is the way forward in Scotland now due to budget and climate. And I believe players get injured on grass pitches as well. 

An impressive amount of tears & snotters from some Falkirk fans on this thread after losing to a fellow full-time club. Are we really that bad? I know we are capable of playing better football than we did on Saturday but maybe take it as a compliment that we had to resort to such nasty tactics on the day in order to defeat such exponents of the beautiful game. Some weeks you just have to grind it out.

We definitely rode our luck but I thought after Keena went off we looked quite comfortable as Falkirk ran out of ideas and just put in poor cross after poor cross which Kilday and Fox gobbled up.

As for the main incidents in the game, I thought it was a penalty. Clumsy challenge. Doesn’t matter how Keena went down, I’d be wanting Murray to do the same. Just after that there was an embarrassing dive to win another one which should have got a yellow. The first offside “goal” looked tight, impossible to tell from the North stand or the highlights. Not sure what Robson was up to anyway. Keena was well off at the second.

Murray should have scored (nice ball from Thomson) before his free kick but that’s what you get with him. He’ll miss easier ones and bang in beauties but the great thing is every game we’re creating chances for him. The guy never stops running and is on the end of everything.  

I thought Gillespie was outstanding second half, seems even fitter than last season. Smith looked decent when he came on. Looks like he has pace and wants to beat his man. Very unlucky with his effort at goal, that was a superb save.    

An impressive amount of tears & snotters from some Falkirk fans on this thread after losing to a fellow full-time club. Are we really that bad? I know we are capable of playing better football than we did on Saturday but maybe take it as a compliment that we had to resort to such nasty tactics on the day in order to defeat such exponents of the beautiful game. Some weeks you just have to grind it out.
We definitely rode our luck but I thought after Keena went off we looked quite comfortable as Falkirk ran out of ideas and just put in poor cross after poor cross which Kilday and Fox gobbled up.
As for the main incidents in the game, I thought it was a penalty. Clumsy challenge. Doesn’t matter how Keena went down, I’d be wanting Murray to do the same. Just after that there was an embarrassing dive to win another one which should have got a yellow. The first offside “goal” looked tight, impossible to tell from the North stand or the highlights. Not sure what Robson was up to anyway. Keena was well off at the second.
Murray should have scored (nice ball from Thomson) before his free kick but that’s what you get with him. He’ll miss easier ones and bang in beauties but the great thing is every game we’re creating chances for him. The guy never stops running and is on the end of everything.  
I thought Gillespie was outstanding second half, seems even fitter than last season. Smith looked decent when he came on. Looks like he has pace and wants to beat his man. Very unlucky with his effort at goal, that was a superb save.    
Aye, we're all Gretna faces off about it.

31 minutes ago, kiddy said:
2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Aye, we're all Gretna faces off about it.

Tumbleweed GIF | Gfycat