Bristol

Paxo

On 02/09/2021 at 14:59, Sergeant Wilson said:

I forgot about BSB, I've watched football in there. I want to be in Bristol. It's a very touristy spot there, but sitting outside that row of pubs on a good day is idyllic, especially on a buckshee early finish and you're still getting paid.

Yeah we were there for most of last Sunday, drinking Staropramen and watching folk fall off that apple boat. Great city for a booze. 

On 24/08/2021 at 06:14, Sergeant Wilson said:

Zero degrees pub at the top of The Christmas Steps, good beer and food with panoramic views of the city. St Nicholas Market, interesting stuff on sale and food stalls are brilliant.

Alternatively, dump her and go to the football.

Great shout with 0° as far as the beer goes, however I snapped a panoramic picture of the view...

IMG_20210904_002119.jpg

• 2 months later...

Me and my other half are heading down to Bristol on Saturday for four nights followed by a couple of nights in Bath. Any good restaurant recommendations? Had been trying to find a good Sunday lunch place but the best one seems booked up years in advance!

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

Me and my other half are heading down to Bristol on Saturday for four nights followed by a couple of nights in Bath. Any good restaurant recommendations? Had been trying to find a good Sunday lunch place but the best one seems booked up years in advance!

We went to Caper and Cure in Stokes Croft for Sunday lunch which was great, but there's a pub just up the road called Pipe and Slippers which also looked good for a roast when we dropped in for a drink.

They totally piss all over the options we have in Edinburgh down there - Pipe and Slippers had the option of roast chicken, lamb, pork, beef and veggie... Lucky if you get the choice of two round here.

We had a good time down there so happy to provide other recommendations if you need.

15 hours ago, Paxo said:

We went to Caper and Cure in Stokes Croft for Sunday lunch which was great, but there's a pub just up the road called Pipe and Slippers which also looked good for a roast when we dropped in for a drink.

They totally piss all over the options we have in Edinburgh down there - Pipe and Slippers had the option of roast chicken, lamb, pork, beef and veggie... Lucky if you get the choice of two round here.

We had a good time down there so happy to provide other recommendations if you need.

Cheers, will take a look at them. Got a barbecue place booked for the Saturday when we arrive and also going to some Sri Lankan place that seems good (and does half price food on a Monday, which is an added bonus).

• 7 months later...

Long shot, but don't suppose anyone has a clue how long it might take to get off a domestic flight and out to the buses at Bristol Airport? Hand luggage only and assuming no delays of course.

I've only got a half hour window, and am not feeling too optimistic 

5 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Long shot, but don't suppose anyone has a clue how long it might take to get off a domestic flight and out to the buses at Bristol Airport? Hand luggage only and assuming no delays of course.

Easy in my experience, getting out. Bus queues can be long but they seem to just fill the busses and leave rather than have a timetable.

57 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Easy in my experience, getting out. Bus queues can be long but they seem to just fill the busses and leave rather than have a timetable.

Cheers, it's a National Express so hopefully that means skipping the queue but it will be timetabled 

2 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

No checks so you should be straight out of the airport if someone can find a ladder to get you off the plane.

57 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Fair enough, I was thinking of the bus to the city centre.

That'd be plan B, or even A - bus to city centre then train onwards (to Cardiff) but it's more than double the cost

4 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

That'd be plan B, or even A - bus to city centre then train onwards (to Cardiff) but it's more than double the cost

A hopeful thing is that airlines usually pop 10-20 minutes on top of their expected landing time to improve their reliability stats.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A hopeful thing is that airlines usually pop 10-20 minutes on top of their expected landing time to improve their reliability stats.

Yep, and then claim something like 75% of flights arrived early, but as you hinted at, landing time and getting off the plane time can be different things entirely 

Flying into Bristol so long as it’s not foggy is pretty reliable for arriving on time. 

Biggest gamble is on where the plane parks up as you can be sitting around waiting on a bus to take you to the terminal. 

Once in the terminal with just hand baggage you can be on a bus pretty quickly, elbows out head down and you’ll be there in a couple of minutes worst.

14 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Flew to Bristol a few weeks ago. We were off the plane and out of the terminal in about 5 minutes.

12 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Biggest gamble is on where the plane parks up as you can be sitting around waiting on a bus to take you to the terminal. 

Once in the terminal with just hand baggage you can be on a bus pretty quickly, elbows out head down and you’ll be there in a couple of minutes worst.

21 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Flew to Bristol a few weeks ago. We were off the plane and out of the terminal in about 5 minutes.

Cheers fellas, we've went ahead and booked it all