Bristol

Paxo

Heading to Bristol for a long weekend away with the missus at the beginning of September. I've always wanted to go there for some reason, I mean anywhere that can give Massive Attack, Portishead and Banksy to the world must be pretty sound...

We'll be flying from Glasgow and (likely) staying at the Hilton Garden Inn; does anyone have any recommendations for things to see, do, drink and eat?

13 hours ago, stanton said:

The SS Great Britain is well worth a visit 

Aye this is a tremendous museum. The Clifton suspension bridge is really something to behold too. The gorge the bridge straddles is home to, I think, 7 pairs of peregrine falcons too. 

There's some cool sights to see around Bristol too, if you have time. Cheddar Gorge is lovely and Wells has a spectacular cathedral.

Bath is only 14miles away and is an absolutely stunning city. 

Enjoy your holiday amigo 

4 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye this is a tremendous museum. The Clifton suspension bridge is really something to behold too. The gorge the bridge straddles is home to, I think, 7 pairs of peregrine falcons too. 

There's some cool sights to see around Bristol too, if you have time. Cheddar Gorge is lovely and Wells has a spectacular cathedral.

Bath is only 14miles away and is an absolutely stunning city. 

Enjoy your holiday amigo 

Cheers!

We won't have transport so will be confined to the city centre I reckon. Will definitely check out SS Great Britain following the recommendations here.

The zoo is nice too, and from memory cheaper than Edinburgh Zoo. When I lived in South Wales we went to Bristol often (sometimes for a plane, sometimes for a visit). It is one of those places that is too big to be a town, and too small to be a city. Beautiful buildings, nice people. Recommend the SS Great Britain, and the suspension bridge. I always liked a day trip there.

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The zoo is nice too, and from memory cheaper than Edinburgh Zoo. When I lived in South Wales we went to Bristol often (sometimes for a plane, sometimes for a visit). It is one of those places that is too big to be a town, and too small to be a city. Beautiful buildings, nice people. Recommend the SS Great Britain, and the suspension bridge. I always liked a day trip there.

When I was there last week I had similar thoughts, that it seemed to be a small place. However I googled the population and it has almost half a million residents. I get that this is still smaller than Glasgow, but it is still quite sizeable. Getting the bus down and back really gave me a feel for it being bigger than it first appeared. 

My bluenose pal who lives there took some delight in telling me that in Queen Square there's a statue of King Billy and a pub bearing his name that has an orange sign (as a tribute to the Dutch, no doubt 😃).

14 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Bath is about 10-15 mins on the train. Absolutely worth a visit. 

I don't really rate Bath but I really like the town Bradford Upon Avon. 

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If you see a short fella with a goatee, dressed in black with dog collar and mad staring eyes, cross the road immediately.

That's a rule I tend to live by instinctively.

On 31/08/2021 at 18:48, Paxo said:

Any suggestions for watching the Moldova game on Saturday or is that asking a bit much?

I was there last weekend on a Stag, and spent 90% of the time utterly steaming. 

However there are two sports bars, both had Sky Sports, Allstars Sports bar which was slightly out the way and BSB Waterside which was a bit better location wise. They had different games on every screen, so should hopefully have Scotland on. 

19 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

I was there last weekend on a Stag, and spent 90% of the time utterly steaming. 

However there are two sports bars, both had Sky Sports, Allstars Sports bar which was slightly out the way and BSB Waterside which was a bit better location wise. They had different games on every screen, so should hopefully have Scotland on. 

I forgot about BSB, I've watched football in there. I want to be in Bristol. It's a very touristy spot there, but sitting outside that row of pubs on a good day is idyllic, especially on a buckshee early finish and you're still getting paid.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson