Hello from the USA

C. MacLeod

Just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm here. I signed up figuring it might be a nice place to learn more about the Scottish Premiership. For the first time, I have a chance to watch some of the clubs besides Rangers and Celtic, so I figure it might be a good idea to familiarize myself with the league beyond just knowing the names. Watched the Dundee-Hibernian game this morning and found it very enjoyable (next week: Rangers-Celtic, which I know is always crazy). Plus it will be cool to meet some people from Scotland.

I'm an old, retired newspaper guy and have quite a bit of time to watch sports and movies. My name isn't actually C. MacLeod. That was the Cairn my mother got when she lived in Dunoon for a few years in the early 70s (Claire MacLeod or just Mac). Figured it was as good a name as any. And maybe I'll even be drawn to a Scottish club as we go along (suggestions welcome and feel free to convince me). Probably won't have too much to say at first, aside from matches I see and on non-football topics, but I hope to see you all around.

Hello chap.

Please be aware that there tends to be a lot of rough-and-tumble on this forum, and don't take it too seriously if anyone says anything offensive to you. They probably didn't mean it, and it may even mean that they like you  :P

We seem to have had a few new American posters recently, which is interesting to see.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Hello chap.

Please be aware that there tends to be a lot of rough-and-tumble on this forum, and don't take it too seriously if anyone says anything offensive to you. They probably didn't mean it, and it may even mean that they like you  :P

We seem to have had a few new American posters recently, which is interesting to see.

Thanks! No worries. I have thick skin. Plus, I happen to know that the Scots have the most brilliant insults known to man. So whatever it is, I know it could be worse. 😂

2 hours ago, C. MacLeod said:

Just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm here. I signed up figuring it might be a nice place to learn more about the Scottish Premiership. For the first time, I have a chance to watch some of the clubs besides Rangers and Celtic, so I figure it might be a good idea to familiarize myself with the league beyond just knowing the names. Watched the Dundee-Hibernian game this morning and found it very enjoyable (next week: Rangers-Celtic, which I know is always crazy). Plus it will be cool to meet some people from Scotland.

I'm an old, retired newspaper guy and have quite a bit of time to watch sports and movies. My name isn't actually C. MacLeod. That was the Cairn my mother got when she lived in Dunoon for a few years in the early 70s (Claire MacLeod or just Mac). Figured it was as good a name as any. And maybe I'll even be drawn to a Scottish club as we go along (suggestions welcome and feel free to convince me). Probably won't have too much to say at first, aside from matches I see and on non-football topics, but I hope to see you all around.

Hello there. You certainly chose a great game to start with today with the Dundee v Hibs match. It's not always that good. Hopefully it showed you that there is much more to Scottish football than Rangers and Celtic. Avoid the politics and the Covid thread. Some heavy duty weirdos to be found there but mostly the rest is ok. Anyway, welcome and have fun.

10 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Hello there. You certainly chose a great game to start with today with the Dundee v Hibs match. It's not always that good. Hopefully it showed you that there is much more to Scottish football than Rangers and Celtic. Avoid the politics and the Covid thread. Some heavy duty weirdos to be found there but mostly the rest is ok. Anyway, welcome and have fun.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely avoid the politics and Covid threads. I've learned not to waste my time trying to reason with people on such subjects. 😂

Really enjoyed the game this morning. Not sure what matches are ahead, but it seems I'll get a lot of the early Sunday games (although most are on Paramount+, a streaming service I don't have). But hopefully in a few months I'll have had a chance to see everyone.

And thanks to all for the warm welcome! 👍

10 hours ago, C. MacLeod said:

Welcome aboard, fellow countryman. Good place here. As @Jimi Shandrix said, avoid the politics and covid boards and you'll be good. Expect to have some American stereotypes thrown your way, but laugh or brush them off and enjoy the shenanigans. 

4 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Welcome aboard, fellow countryman. Good place here. As @Jimi Shandrix said, avoid the politics and covid boards and you'll be good. Expect to have some American stereotypes thrown your way, but laugh or brush them off and enjoy the shenanigans. 

Thanks! If I get a stereotype thrown at me, I'll just mention something about haggis and send them on their way. 😇

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

If you're going to choose a Scottish team, you're not allowed to pick Celtic or "Rangers". Other than that, welcome. 🙂

Believe me, I don't want any part of that circus. 😇

If I end up latching onto a club, it will be one that doesn't carry that sort of baggage, is somewhat pleasing to watch and isn't likely to go down. I'm sure there are a few that fit those qualifications. I just have to browse the store and see what's on display. 🤔

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Or worse, Clyde. 

Tell me about Aberdeen FC. I was checking out the Scottish teams' characteristics of play on WhoScored and they are one of the teams I think I want to keep an eye on (Hibernian, who I enjoyed watching play yesterday, and St. Johnstone were the others that seemed to have a style I'd enjoy). Of course style can vary greatly from manager to manager. Does Aberdeen generally play attractive football? Is there great atmosphere at the stadium?

16 minutes ago, Ewan8472 said:

Welcome !

There is one other fan from America who is popular as he has chosen not to support either of the sisters.

Attractive football - Hibs a good choice 

transfer window permitting

Thanks! Hibs will certainly be in the running. Really enjoyed watching them on Sunday. But I want to see some of the others and more of Hibs. These things usually come from what sort of feeling you get about the club (and its support). 👍

Welcome. 

A summary of the Scottish Premiership clubs.

Rangers---Scum

Celtic---Scum

Aberdeen--- Only talk about sheep and loathing for Glaswegians.

Hearts--- Mini Rangers

Hibs--- Mini Celtic

Dundee United---Too Arabic

Motherwell---Totally nondescript

Livingston---Plastic franchise club.

Ross County---Owned by a moron managed by a sexist, racist homophobic guy.

St. Johnstone---A decent mob, boring, but decent. Scotland's most successful club last season.

St. Mirren---Just another Celtic in disguise.

Dundee---An utter basket case of a club .

So. Out that lot take your pick. Probably St. Johnstone.  Enjoy your time on here . 

Happy posting.

2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Welcome. 

A summary of the Scottish Premiership clubs.

Rangers---Scum

Celtic---Scum

Aberdeen--- Only talk about sheep and loathing for Glaswegians.

Hearts--- Mini Rangers

Hibs--- Mini Celtic

Dundee United---Too Arabic

Motherwell---Totally nondescript

Livingston---Plastic franchise club.

Ross County---Owned by a moron managed by a sexist, racist homophobic guy.

St. Johnstone---A decent mob, boring, but decent. Scotland's most successful club last season.

St. Mirren---Just another Celtic in disguise.

Dundee---An utter basket case of a club .

So. Out that lot take your pick. Probably St. Johnstone.  Enjoy your time on here . 

Happy posting.

A good rundown that gave me a good laugh. 😂

Ross County certainly doesn't sound like something I'd want to get involved in. I see Malky Mackay is their manager. I remember him from Cardiff. Didn't realize he had such personality flaws. I suppose I could live with sheep, mini-Celtic (or mini-Rangers) or boring but decent. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!