The Rangers 2012 v Celtic

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Yeah I believe we did to stop it from being used by others, I don’t  recall Celtic ever using the term the past decade on official outlets.

Yeah, I remember something similar with the Cleveland Indians in the US

They dropped the mascot Chief Wahoo, but had to retain the trademark for it

However, the use of Chief Wahoo was de-emphasized in favor of alternate logos. The logo was subsequently retired after the Indians' 2018 season, and "is no longer appropriate for on-field use", according to MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred. However, as to maintain their trademarks on the logo, along with the words 'Tribe' and 'Wahoo', and prevent their dilution, the team continues to sell limited merchandise with Chief Wahoo, only in its physical team store

5 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's kind of Streisand Effect stuff from Celtic.

The phrase Old Firm is not going anywhere, and it's noticeably weird to hear anyone say Glasgow Derby. So much so that it reinforces the Old Firm thought process and just makes Celtic look a bit try-hard.

Everybody knows it's the Old Firm. Eventually Celtic will quietly pack this in.

They’ve avoided using it for about a decade now, I don’t see that changing anytime soon

They don’t make a big deal out of it either, I find it strange when non Celtic fans get upset at them for no longer using it 

Guest TheJTS98
7 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

They’ve avoided using it for about a decade now, I don’t see that changing anytime soon

They don’t make a big deal out of it either, I find it strange when non Celtic fans get upset at them for no longer using it 

It doesn't upset me. It's just weird.

Time passes, fads change. The Rangers liquidation thing is very fresh just now. It won't always be. Outside Celtic absolutely everybody says Old Firm. It's a losing battle and just makes them look a bit silly.

One of the cringiest things I ever saw was a Celtic fan in a pub in Malaysia trying to 'educate' a bunch of non-Scottish people at a pub table that there was no longer an Old Firm. Lots of Cheryl Cole 'riiiight' faces.

I obviously immediately mentioned that the pub we were in would indeed be showing the Old Firm game the next night.

Edited by TheJTS98

I don’t really have any opinion on Celtic not wanting to use the Old Firm term. It’s the fact they outright refuse to use the word Rangers in certain scenarios that is completely tinpot.

As well as inventing their own time zone (CPT - Celtic Park Time 😂) so they don’t need to use the term British Summer Time. That’s one of my favourites. 

Edited by AJF

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don’t really have any opinion on Celtic not wanting to use the Old Firm term. It’s the fact they outright refuse to use the word Rangers in certain scenarios that is completely tinpot.

As well as inventing their own time zone (CPT - Celtic Park Time 😂) so they don’t need to use the term British Summer Time. That’s one of my favourites. 

That can't be true?

If it is, that's amazingly petty. World class.

And I speak as a person who has an instant nauseous reaction to anything wrapped in a Jack.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Yeah I believe we did to stop it from being used by others, I don’t  recall Celtic ever using the term the past decade on official outlets.

Maybe Celtic should have copyrighted “Supercaleygoballisticcelticareatrocious“ to stop people using it.

45 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Yeah, I remember something similar with the Cleveland Indians in the US

They dropped the mascot Chief Wahoo, but had to retain the trademark for it

However, the use of Chief Wahoo was de-emphasized in favor of alternate logos. The logo was subsequently retired after the Indians' 2018 season, and "is no longer appropriate for on-field use", according to MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred. However, as to maintain their trademarks on the logo, along with the words 'Tribe' and 'Wahoo', and prevent their dilution, the team continues to sell limited merchandise with Chief Wahoo, only in its physical team store

A real pity this is trademarked, a fair few vying for this particular title on here on a daily basis. 

24 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

That can't be true?

And I speak as a person who has an instant nauseous reaction to anything wrapped in a Jack.

Rightly so. I’m Scottish, not British.

I’m very, very anti lickspittle.

4 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

Rightly so. I’m Scottish, not British.

I’m very, very anti lickspittle.

You're British and the Old Firm is this coming Sunday, the earth is also round in case you were wondering. 

33 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

That can't be true?

Oh, it’s true alright 😂

59 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's kind of Streisand Effect stuff from Celtic.

The phrase Old Firm is not going anywhere, and it's noticeably weird to hear anyone say Glasgow Derby. So much so that it reinforces the Old Firm thought process and just makes Celtic look a bit try-hard.

Everybody knows it's the Old Firm. Eventually Celtic will quietly pack this in.

Its been going on before then. We stopped doing joint sponsorship deals to move away from ‘guilt by association’ as it was coined at the time.
You would have be very naive or blinkered to actually believe the ‘two cheeks of the same arse’ that gets batted about on here though. It reminds me of folk who say they don’t vote ‘coz there all the same’. 

50 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It doesn't upset me. It's just weird.

Time passes, fads change. The Rangers liquidation thing is very fresh just now. It won't always be. Outside Celtic absolutely everybody says Old Firm. It's a losing battle and just makes them look a bit silly.

One of the cringiest things I ever saw was a Celtic fan in a pub in Malaysia trying to 'educate' a bunch of non-Scottish people at a pub table that there was no longer an Old Firm. Lots of Cheryl Cole 'riiiight' faces.

I obviously immediately mentioned that the pub we were in would indeed be showing the Old Firm game the next night.

I wasn’t meaning you in particular, I was meaning just in general 

I can understand why Celtic stopped using it, but I just don’t understand why others seem to care.

It’s not as if they’ve put out a statement about it or asked others to stop using it, so I wouldn’t compare it to a battle or that they care what others outside Celtic think or say

Its just something they’ve quietly stopped using 

I don’t really care what some random in Malaysia says to be honest

The entire argument is a bit silly, Celtic haven’t used it for around a decade now, and that’s it really

Makes absolutely no difference to anyone, or it shouldn’t do anyways 

55 minutes ago, AJF said:

It's every bit as cringe as "Armed Forces Day" or any other OTT playing up to Britishness that Rangers do. In both cases, it's simply playing to a gallery of morons who lap it up.