Killie v ICT TOP OF THE TABLE CLASH

9 hours ago, alsy said:

That is a bit of a concern, actually. We failed to match up with Cove in the middle of the park in the League Cup and they completely owned the midfield. Obviously we've improved considerably since then, but Killie are a far, far better team than Cove. We do have the players to go with three in the middle, especially with Welsh fit again, but I can't see Dodds dropping Shane Sutherland, who has started well for us playing just behind Duku up front. 

Absolutely buzzing for this, I've been awake since before six thinking about being back at a meaningful away match again. Unfortunately some fucker scheduled a work-related Zoom meeting for this morning which means I can't leave until midday. My gut feeling is that we'll lose, but even if we do, I really hope that we score, and that it's a goal that means something at the time - one that gives us a lead, or an equaliser - rather than the undeserved last minute penalty we got at Cove. It would be a fantastic moment after so long away.  

Keep the Heid.

The most annoying thing about that today is seeing Inverness bring Billy McKay off the bench near the end. They have 3/4 strikers that are better than our options.

We are in dire need of signing a couple of strikers because without Robinson we are very poor up top. I really want Cameron to do well but he’s not there yet and seems to be playing with no confidence.

Well that was shite.

Fair play to Caley tho', they kicked us off the park in the first half and played us off the park in the second.

Big shout out also to the Caley support who backed them well throughout.

I hate Broadfoot and Dodds as they are both c8nts and also that wee p***k Gardyne who always seems to have a belter against us.

Better team won as we could still be playing without scoring, Christ do we need a striker...

Also, while we were poor today, it was still an improvement from last season, and that's saying something...

Oh, Aye, and  'Caley are a bunch of cheating bullying b*****ds and the Ref was a disgrace'. 😀

Edited by Hawkeye the Gnu

Didn’t think Caley were up to much but we never, ever looked like scoring.

We really need more in an attacking sense. Previous games it was 0-0 and pressure told despite a lack of invention.

Today we go 1-0 down early on and give the opposition something to defend. Said lack of invention badly exposed.

Really poor from us.

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

Fair enough result, we didn't look like scoring and Inverness were solid.

Broadfoot is still a c*nt

I'm not at sure that your epithet with regard to your erstwhile defender is appropriate but I must say I was surprised to see him in the opposing box dribbling, passing and ultimately giving the ball away. In doing so the loss of a goal was a real possibility. All this with only a few minutes of the match remaining.

I can only imagine that there was an impetus to reply to the boos with either a goal or an assist and this overwhelmed what would be a more reasonable course of action. 

Really enjoyable game today. My first time at Rugby Park, my St Mirren supporting mate had told me it was a shitehole so I was pleasantly surprised that I actually liked the ground.

Though overall we deserved the win. The endeavour, commitment and organisation from this side is superb. Work rate from 1 to 11 unquestionable. We really are playing as a team giving their all and it’s all you can ask for as a fan. The desire to keep a clean sheet and put bodies on the line is so pleasing. Dodds’ comments on us “not working on defence” have clearly got everyone on strings. Whilst we’re playing checkers, he’s playing chess.

Killie just didn’t look like scoring. I never thought we looked like losing a goal at any point, barring a short spell where Burke was causing problems. As soon as we quietened his threat, Killie looked toothless. Amazes me that folk were tipping us to finish mid table due to a “lack of depth”, yet we brought two attacking players off the bench who I’d argue start for Killie in Doran and Mckay. That said, there was very little between the sides and Ridgers made a couple of excellent saves. I think the main difference was cohesion throughout the side, which Killie will get as the season goes on.

Roddy MacGregor was excellent again today, I seriously hope no scouts were there today as I fear we may not be able to hold on to him for long. What a talent he is.

Not much between the sides but I think that was a deserved win for ICT. Whilst still not firing on all cylinders and not creating too many chances we were very well drilled at the back and worked exceptionally hard to close Killie down when they had the ball in more threatening areas. And when they did managed to wriggle free and get a cross in Devine and Broadfoot were almost always there to clear the danger. Allardice took a while to get going but he grew into the game and seemed to perform a lot better when he was working with Welsh after Dodds made some changes in the second half.

Gardyne took his goal really well, nice wee burst of pace to get away from Naismith (?) in the box before rifling an effort into the roof of the net. Duku was a bit of the boil today I felt, he struggled to win any high balls up to him, but Sutherland was pretty decent. He put in a hell of a shift trying to close down the Killie CBs in the second half and had a decent opportunity to kill the game off when he tried to chip the keeper but got it all wrong. MotM for me though was MacGregor who started the game playing alongside Allardice and was perfectly fine but when he was pushed further up the pitch when Duku went off for Welsh he seemed to revel in this more advanced position and he showed some wonderful touches to drag the ball away from Killie players including one outrageous challenge / Cruyff turn he did on Burke (I think). He seemed to be at the heart of everything we tried to put together in the second half and although we didn't often get a chance at the end of any attacking move they almost all went through MacGregor. Hopefully the tape of the game can be destroyed so no opposing scouts see what he can do.

Killie seemed to be reliant on long balls forward for Robinson to chase (when he was on the pitch) or for Burke to try and create something. He did come in for some harsh treatment during the game but I felt he also went down a bit too easily at times and I think the referee started to give him fewer decisions as a result. Polworth faded badly as the game went on and I don't even know if he had a touch for long periods of the second half. Killie just seemed a wee bit unsure of how to break us down. We definitely seem improved at the back now which is good. Ridgers did have a couple of decent saves to make in the first half but I can't recall him being too troubled in the second.

Decent wee crowd down the road to support us and were in good voice throughout. Players definitely seemed to appreciate it after a few "mellow" home matches.

4 hours ago, superkillieaway said:

The most annoying thing about that today is seeing Inverness bring Billy McKay off the bench near the end. They have 3/4 strikers that are better than our options.

This is the first season since we have been in the Championship we have had that sort of squad depth. Every other year I’d say we had a good starting 11 that could give anyone a game over 90 minutes but over the course of the season we didn’t have the players coming off the bench to make a difference.

That said, we also had Dundee Utd, Ross County and Hearts throwing silly cash at players so a title challenge was never really a realistic option. 

We now have a whole squad where I thought, before the season has started, that we could put up a title challenge and with you and Hamilton both coming down it felt like there was an opportunity to win the league for once. The only unknown was Billy Dodds being manager. Granted it’s only 4 games and it could go wrong but we’ve won 4 games without playing particularly well, I didn’t see today’s game so correct me if I’m wrong on the performance, but there is a real good feeling about how we will do this season.

We were excellent in terms of shape and effort throughout but at half-time I still couldn't see us winning the game as we were getting deeper and struggling to keep the ball. Huge credit to Dodds for changing it, bringing Welsh on, moving Roddy forward and then adding Doran. The way we played around Killie in the last half hour was a joy to watch and they never looked like getting back into it.  

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Not much between the sides but I think that was a deserved win for ICT. Whilst still not firing on all cylinders and not creating too many chances we were very well drilled at the back and worked exceptionally hard to close Killie down when they had the ball in more threatening areas. And when they did managed to wriggle free and get a cross in Devine and Broadfoot were almost always there to clear the danger. Allardice took a while to get going but he grew into the game and seemed to perform a lot better when he was working with Welsh after Dodds made some changes in the second half.

Gardyne took his goal really well, nice wee burst of pace to get away from Naismith (?) in the box before rifling an effort into the roof of the net. Duku was a bit of the boil today I felt, he struggled to win any high balls up to him, but Sutherland was pretty decent. He put in a hell of a shift trying to close down the Killie CBs in the second half and had a decent opportunity to kill the game off when he tried to chip the keeper but got it all wrong. MotM for me though was MacGregor who started the game playing alongside Allardice and was perfectly fine but when he was pushed further up the pitch when Duku went off for Welsh he seemed to revel in this more advanced position and he showed some wonderful touches to drag the ball away from Killie players including one outrageous challenge / Cruyff turn he did on Burke (I think). He seemed to be at the heart of everything we tried to put together in the second half and although we didn't often get a chance at the end of any attacking move they almost all went through MacGregor. Hopefully the tape of the game can be destroyed so no opposing scouts see what he can do.

Killie seemed to be reliant on long balls forward for Robinson to chase (when he was on the pitch) or for Burke to try and create something. He did come in for some harsh treatment during the game but I felt he also went down a bit too easily at times and I think the referee started to give him fewer decisions as a result. Polworth faded badly as the game went on and I don't even know if he had a touch for long periods of the second half. Killie just seemed a wee bit unsure of how to break us down. We definitely seem improved at the back now which is good. Ridgers did have a couple of decent saves to make in the first half but I can't recall him being too troubled in the second.

Decent wee crowd down the road to support us and were in good voice throughout. Players definitely seemed to appreciate it after a few "mellow" home matches.

Decent post.

Tend to agree with most of this and from a Killie side I would add.

-"Killie seemed to be reliant on long balls forward for Robinson to chase (when he was on the pitch)", totally agree.

-"for Burke to try and create something. He did come in for some harsh treatment during the game but I felt he also went down a bit too easily", - he was a victim of the most blatantly planned hatchet job as you hammered him any time you got close.

- " Polworth faded badly as the game went on", - he was absolutely shute.

-"Decent wee crowd down the road to support us and were in good voice throughout.", - excellent support throughout from the wee band of fans.

We were absolutely fucking miles off it today. Mcginn only player that had pass marks. Rest were awful, the goal was terrible defending and then terrible goalkeeping (which is his first mistake) having been flawless otherwise. 
ICT tactics first half were shut down burke and use heavy force to stop him, which btw is horrible to watch but it’s exactly how I’d cope with him.

It’s one bad game, we will bounce back. 2 signings in by tuesday. No need to panic