Jump to content

Next permanent Ayr United manager


.  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

My main fear is, that when the inevitable (imo) comes and Smith has to appoint a new man he simply makes an arse of it again. He’s been successful in running his business but he needs a football minded man on his side to help him out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

I know its a bit revisionist, but we went from McCall to Kerr which was a step down, but could probably have turned things round if he had got in an experienced coach or 2, to Hopkin, who although managed to keep us up (in hindsight maybe Kerr would have made a better job of that also) is definitely a step down again on Kerr.

Player wise I think a semi competent manager could have us mid table - we all know we need another centre mid but could get by with what we have but Im just worried we would end up with someone else Hopkinesque

I think, with hindsight, we might have been better off persevering with Kerr. He at least had intentions of implementing a possession based style of play which is preferable to this hoofball shite.

I don't think he'd have done any worse than Hopkin has.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t know if he was worth persevering with, but Kerr had a lot to cope with as a rookie manager.  A major rebuild after the break up of McCall’s team, Covid, no fans and a change of ownership mid season.  And we were 5th in the league a fortnight before we gave him the bullet.  This is probably all revisionism, but it’s a measure of the lack of confidence in Hopkin that I’m beginning to think Kerr was hard done by.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO - was Kerr better than Hopkin? Probably, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right decision at the time. 
 

Kerr failed to get the best out of numerous players, who have gone on to show they were good players at that level. Kerr was aware that we required a midfielder in his mould while he was here, (as Chalmers wasn’t doing it) and around six months and a pre season later we still don’t fucking have one. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

My main fear is, that when the inevitable (imo) comes and Smith has to appoint a new man he simply makes an arse of it again. He’s been successful in running his business but he needs a football minded man on his side to help him out.

Ted Lasso

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Don’t know if he was worth persevering with, but Kerr had a lot to cope with as a rookie manager.  A major rebuild after the break up of McCall’s team, Covid, no fans and a change of ownership mid season.  And we were 5th in the league a fortnight before we gave him the bullet.  This is probably all revisionism, but it’s a measure of the lack of confidence in Hopkin that I’m beginning to think Kerr was hard done by.

For the first time in a number of seasons, I have zero confidence in this team winning games. Not the way Hopkin sets them up anyway.

The thing is, it isn't even a bad squad. It's actually a decent squad, though one that would benefit from a couple of further additions. 

O'Connor, Maxwell and Adeloye in particular look like good signings. But when you play such a turgid style of hoofball, players like O'Connor won't do much good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Don’t know if he was worth persevering with, but Kerr had a lot to cope with as a rookie manager.  A major rebuild after the break up of McCall’s team, Covid, no fans and a change of ownership mid season.  And we were 5th in the league a fortnight before we gave him the bullet.  This is probably all revisionism, but it’s a measure of the lack of confidence in Hopkin that I’m beginning to think Kerr was hard done by.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Results were not great under Kerr but there were extenuating circumstances if you were minded to see them. I was bemused by his sacking as much for how precipitous it seemed - Kerr wasn't Smith's appointment so could almost be allowed to fail. Instead we will never know. 5th in the league seems like cloud-cuckoo land at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite a bit of revisionism about Kerr tbh. We got 5 points in Kerr’s last 9 games. Out of 16 games we won 4 and 2 of those were against Alloa. The team looked completely devoid of ideas in his last couple of months and we were 9th when he left.

I’d take him over Hopkin but there was reason enough for parting ways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Quite a bit of revisionism about Kerr tbh. We got 5 points in Kerr’s last 9 games. Out of 16 games we won 4 and 2 of those were against Alloa. The team looked completely devoid of ideas in his last couple of months and we were 9th when he left.

I’d take him over Hopkin but there was reason enough for parting ways.

The thing that did Kerr in was a very bad January window. I suspect had it not been for some terrible business he would still be Ayr manager. A window where you lose Bruce Anderson & Innes Cameron and replace them with the imposter that was Dre Wright is a bad one. We then lurched for several games with nothing at the top end of the pitch. It was little wonder we could barely win a game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The thing that did Kerr in was a very bad January window. I suspect had it not been for some terrible business he would still be Ayr manager. A window where you lose Bruce Anderson & Innes Cameron and replace them with the imposter that was Dre Wright is a bad one. We then lurched for several games with nothing at the top end of the pitch. It was little wonder we could barely win a game. 

Wright was a strange one.  Seemed well thought of in Ireland (not like the Irish Messi of course), but arrived totally unfit and got injured after playing 2 games which meant he got even less fit.  I think his signing was a bit of desperation.  Bottom line?  Bruce Anderson’s stinking attitude probably got Kerr sacked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mark Kerr is still half the problem why we're in this mess.

I don’t buy this at all. Apart from giving the likes of Baird and Chalmers 2 year deals he didn’t do anything that would affect the club in anything more than the short term. Any new manager coming in had zero excuses after the summer.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:


I don’t buy this at all. Apart from giving the likes of Baird and Chalmers 2 year deals he didn’t do anything that would affect the club in anything more than the short term. Any new manager coming in had zero excuses after the summer.

He actually put quite a few players on 2 year deals who are still here, Miller, Houston, Reading. Got to remember that the bloke had us at 9th last season dropping big style and it was never going to be fixed over a summer let alone a couple of games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He actually put quite a few players on 2 year deals who are still here, Miller, Houston, Reading. Got to remember that the bloke had us at 9th last season dropping big style and it was never going to be fixed over a summer let alone a couple of games.

Right so of that lot you can say that Chalmers, Miller and Baird are the 3 we don’t want at the club. That’s really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

They’re are plenty of examples of managers only needing one summer to turn things around and change the fortunes of a club. McCall did it with us.

The position we are in now is purely down to dreadful recruitment from Hopkin and the decision to hire him from Smith. We aren’t still suffering from any decisions Kerr made apart from being stuck with a couple of below average Championship players.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:


Right so of that lot you can say that Chalmers, Miller and Baird are the 3 we don’t want at the club. That’s really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

They’re are plenty of examples of managers only needing one summer to turn things around and change the fortunes of a club. McCall did it with us.

The position we are in now is purely down to dreadful recruitment from Hopkin and the decision to hire him from Smith. We aren’t still suffering from any decisions Kerr made apart from being stuck with a couple of below average Championship players.

Miller and Baird would be fine as back ups as well. It is Hopkin’s issue that Baird is probably still our third best second half.  At the moment he plays because Hopkin hasn’t fixed the central midfield issue, so Muirhead still can’t drop back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:


Right so of that lot you can say that Chalmers, Miller and Baird are the 3 we don’t want at the club. That’s really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

They’re are plenty of examples of managers only needing one summer to turn things around and change the fortunes of a club. McCall did it with us.

The position we are in now is purely down to dreadful recruitment from Hopkin and the decision to hire him from Smith. We aren’t still suffering from any decisions Kerr made apart from being stuck with a couple of below average Championship players.

McCall had us relegated in his 2nd season with us after being lucky over a capitulated Peterhead side and a fortunate play-off victory, the progress only really started until full time football came in and massive transitions from the club so to assume that the recruitment has been dreadful this season after only 3 league games is a bit harsh imo.

 

Maybe this is me having rose tainted glasses on but I will see what Hopkin does with these players for the next few months until I make my decision.  

Edited by THEHonestman1910
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...