Next permanent Ayr United manager

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Murray scored 18 goals in his last season at this level.

2016/17. That season very much looks like the outlier where he is concerned.

FWIW I think he could play at this level tbf.  However, he's not going to be the next Ayr manager.

Edited by Trogdor

4 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Queen’s Park seem to be following a path that involves investing in infrastructure to take the club forward rather than chucking money at mercenaries the way Gretna did.

They might attract Ross as manager but he they don’t look like they will give him 10s of thousands of pounds never mind 100s of thousands to build a squad. 

Look at their squad, they’re full-time with crowds of about 600. They’re banking on getting up to the Championship within the next few seasons and seeing a substantial increase in crowd numbers. They’re not a picture of sustainability.

The much trumped “ambition” card is working wonders for them though. Same goes for Cove, Kelty, Darvel et al.

Edited by eez-eh

Off topic, but on QP, I'm good friends with someone very much ITK, and it's interesting to hear what their plans are. The stadium rebuild at Lesser Hampden has been a disaster thus far for various reasons. I live round the corner from Hampden and it's a mess, which doesn't look like it will be finished this time next year.

He was also saying that they are scratching their heads at how to get more locals along and to keep coming back. The new stadium when it's done will probably help. I get the impression that money will be no object going forward.

Might seems harsh but QP are never going to build something to last long term. At best they will compete at the top of the Championship and threaten to get into the Premiership but I can’t see them ever getting there.

Queen’s Park seem to be following a path that involves investing in infrastructure to take the club forward rather than chucking money at mercenaries the way Gretna did.
They might attract Ross as manager but he they don’t look like they will give him 10s of thousands of pounds never mind 100s of thousands to build a squad. 

They're absolutely chucking money at it. Looking at their squad they have at least 10 players who were recently playing/could comfortably be playing at Championship level. That's only the ones I'm aware of, I suspect there are a few others as well.

Every one is there for the cash* and nothing else. If they had real "ambition" they'd have taken deals at a higher level which I'm sure the majority were almost certainly offered.

* And quite right. They have to make a living like everyone else. Just don't patronise supporters that they're there for some kind of 'journey' or any other bullshit like that.

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

They're absolutely chucking money at it. Looking at their squad they have at least 10 players who were recently playing/could comfortably be playing at Championship level. That's only the ones I'm aware of, I suspect there are a few others as well.

Every one is there for the cash* and nothing else. If they had real "ambition" they'd have taken deals at a higher level which I'm sure the majority were almost certainly offered.

* And quite right. They have to make a living like everyone else. Just don't patronise supporters that they're there for some kind of 'journey' or any other bullshit like that.

They are in no way doing the same as Gretna, they are not signing premiership players to play in league 2, they are signing bang average players that would be flitting around the bottom of the Championship/top of league 1. Most are lucky to be still full time at Queens Park. Most of the players have played for failed Morton and Falkirk teams. Grant Gillespie was one of the worst players Mark Kerr signed. Simply Being full time is enough to get you to top 4 in league 1. 

Simon Murray had scored 19 goals in 5 years before joining Queens Park, he's barely set the world on fire since he joined them and hasn't been linked with any clubs higher up. 

They are spending money on a new stadium prioritising hospitality and hiring smart, respected people in the game. Gretna pumped millions getting from A to B as quickly as possible without building anything secure. That Queens Park team will struggle to get out of league 1 and will need major investment to get out of the Championship. Once Haughie walks away, they will need to have a sustainable business in place and not be paying a dozen players £1500 a week like Gretna were. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Simon Murray had scored 19 goals in 5 years before joining Queens Park, he's barely set the world on fire since he joined them and hasn't been linked with any clubs higher up.

This part is blatantly false. In the 5 years before he joined Queen's Park he scored 25 goals for Dundee United, 14 for Hibs, 3 for Dundee and 8 for Bidvest Wits, which is a total of 50 goals, all of them at a level miles higher than League 2.

has there been anymore said about Bartley? Hope he stays with us but if he was to go I reckon he'd do a decent job

Seems to be out the running. Couple of your fans have said he’s being lined up to take over from Martindale in a year or two.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This part is blatantly false. In the 5 years before he joined Queen's Park he scored 25 goals for Dundee United, 14 for Hibs, 3 for Dundee and 8 for Bidvest Wits, which is a total of 50 goals, all of them at a level miles higher than League 2.

League goals. 

Your hotshot world class forward is currently playing in league 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-league-one/top-scorers

League goals. 

Why would we only count league goals?

And yes, we know he’s playing below his level. It’s because of money. You wouldn’t take Simon Murray at Ayr?

12 hours ago, eez-eh said:

The much trumped “ambition” card is working wonders for them though. Same goes for Cove, Kelty, Darvel et al.

Yep, the rise and increased ambitions of privately funded sides like QP, Cove, Kelty, etc should be an alarm call for some of the weaker L1 and L2 sides (who could face the dreaded trapdoor) and ultimately could make it more difficult for the less rich present day Championship sides (sorry guys but I'm thinking Morton, Ayr, Queens and Arbroath here - I'm sure Arbroath's current stellar trajectory unfortunately won't be sustained over several seasons) to maintain their second tier status long term - irrespective of their ability to bring a more diverse regional spread/support to the Scottish game.

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

League goals. 

If we count league goals it's still 31 goals in the last 5 years despite injury and covid. He could very easily have had a club in the top two tiers in 2020 when he signed for Queen's Park, but their am$ition obviously won him over which is why he ended up in the 4th tier.

The fact he hasn't done hugely well since going there does not detract from the fact that they were signing a bunch of Championship level players in League 2 because they were trying to buy their way through the leagues.

On 31/12/2021 at 17:00, Passionate said:

Surely Ray McKinnon must be in consideration for the gig, if not only to get up it up Morton....

Not been paying much attention to Scottish football the last few years ?