Next permanent Ayr United manager

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

McCall had us relegated in his 2nd season with us after being lucky over a capitulated Peterhead side and a fortunate play-off victory, the progress only really started until full time football came in and massive transitions from the club so to assume that the recruitment has been dreadful this season after only 3 league games is a bit harsh imo.

Maybe this is me having rose tainted glasses on but I will see what Hopkin does with these players for the next few months until I make my decision.  

Stranraer were absolutely fucking robbed in that playoff. I kind of felt sorry for them. We were rotten. I can't think of many goals I've celebrated like Docherty's last-kick-of-the-ball equaliser.

11 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

He actually put quite a few players on 2 year deals who are still here, Miller, Houston, Reading. Got to remember that the bloke had us at 9th last season dropping big style and it was never going to be fixed over a summer let alone a couple of games.

Quite happy that Reading and Houston were signed up on 2 year deals - both have potential to be decent enough championship players.  
Worth remembering that we were top 4 for the first 2 months of last season, and were 5th/6th the rest of the time until we had a disastrous February. Even then, we were only 9th for a couple of weeks before Smith pulled the trigger.  We’ll never know if the tailspin under Kerr was terminal, though it’s fortunate Davie White took 4 points from 6 as interim manager as Hopkin got nothing out the team save an outlier result at Dundee, not forgetting the home defeat to Clyde in the cup.  4 points from our last 6 was a dreadful return and most seasons would have seen us relegated.  We were just fortunate that Hopkin’s Morton were narrowly worse than us (on goal difference).  I personally think Kerr made to many mistakes and looked like he had run out of ideas, but who’d have guessed the night we beat Dundee that James McPake would take them to the Premiership 8 weeks later?

4 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Quite happy that Reading and Houston were signed up on 2 year deals - both have potential to be decent enough championship players.  
Worth remembering that we were top 4 for the first 2 months of last season, and were 5th/6th the rest of the time until we had a disastrous February. Even then, we were only 9th for a couple of weeks before Smith pulled the trigger.  We’ll never know if the tailspin under Kerr was terminal, though it’s fortunate Davie White took 4 points from 6 as interim manager as Hopkin got nothing out the team save an outlier result at Dundee, not forgetting the home defeat to Clyde in the cup.  4 points from our last 6 was a dreadful return and most seasons would have seen us relegated.  We were just fortunate that Hopkin’s Morton were narrowly worse than us (on goal difference).  I personally think Kerr made to many mistakes and looked like he had run out of ideas, but who’d have guessed the night we beat Dundee that James McPake would take them to the Premiership 8 weeks later?

The league position wasn't perhaps a great barometer of performance last season. Fairly sure there were 7 teams within a few points at one stage. and it was only the last few games where gaps appeared. Whilst covid had an effect we seemed to be well prepared at the start  and then it just didn't happen

12 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

The league position wasn't perhaps a great barometer of performance last season. Fairly sure there were 7 teams within a few points at one stage. and it was only the last few games where gaps appeared. Whilst covid had an effect we seemed to be well prepared at the start  and then it just didn't happen

It just felt like a weird season generally, perhaps unsurprisingly.  Hearts were dreadful and yet won the league in a canter.  Everyone else was all over the place form wise.  The Dundee fans seemed like they were ready to lynch McPake, then somehow it came good at the death.  It’s hard to offer a huge defence for Kerr as too many of his signings went wrong and his stubborn refusal to change from the 4-2-3-1 setup that never looked right was really frustrating as was his failure to appoint an experienced coach.  It did feel as if warning lights were flashing all over the place by the end of February, so it was no great surprise that he was sacked.  I just assumed that the board made that decision with some plan in mind and that a replacement was lined up.  When we then proceeded to put an advert in the local paper for a new manager, you knew we’d end up with some out of work duffer like Hopkin.  Like I say, Kerr was probably done, but it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that we’re in an even worse position now.  

24 minutes ago, HMIP said:

It just felt like a weird season generally, perhaps unsurprisingly.  Hearts were dreadful and yet won the league in a canter.  Everyone else was all over the place form wise.  The Dundee fans seemed like they were ready to lynch McPake, then somehow it came good at the death.  It’s hard to offer a huge defence for Kerr as too many of his signings went wrong and his stubborn refusal to change from the 4-2-3-1 setup that never looked right was really frustrating as was his failure to appoint an experienced coach.  It did feel as if warning lights were flashing all over the place by the end of February, so it was no great surprise that he was sacked.  I just assumed that the board made that decision with some plan in mind and that a replacement was lined up.  When we then proceeded to put an advert in the local paper for a new manager, you knew we’d end up with some out of work duffer like Hopkin.  Like I say, Kerr was probably done, but it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that we’re in an even worse position now.  

Starting to think we should have went with the big wall puncher, probably still be in the same position but atleast we'd have a raft of unknowns from the English lower leagues to get excited about for a few weeks until they were found out. 

I think Kerr and MCArdle had a vision of what they wanted to do, but in the end bit off more than they could chew. If they had got in one or 2 experienced coaches to work with them it could have turned out different, but by the time he went you couldn't see us buying a win.

You could see he had built a team reliant on a big target man, then didn't manage to sign one, until he panic bought Wright who wasnt fit / got injured.

2 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

Starting to think we should have went with the big wall puncher, probably still be in the same position but atleast we'd have a raft of unknowns from the English lower leagues to get excited about for a few weeks until they were found out. 

The main problem is that there is more than one problem with Hopkin. Our league position isn't great and as you say would probably be the same with some of the other candidates. More people could probably accept or tolerate if the other glaring warning signs weren't sticking out. Not really sure how this particular brand of football , alien opinion of matches and culling of previous managers signings would go down anywhere unless some serious peformances were happening

5 hours ago, honestly united said:

I think Kerr and MCArdle had a vision of what they wanted to do, but in the end bit off more than they could chew. If they had got in one or 2 experienced coaches to work with them it could have turned out different, but by the time he went you couldn't see us buying a win.

You could see he had built a team reliant on a big target man, then didn't manage to sign one, until he panic bought Wright who wasnt fit / got injured.

I remember Ian McCall talking about Kerr on the radio after he got the sack. He said Kerr had signed a load of players to play one way and the decided to play a totally different way

3 hours ago, AyrExile said:

The main problem is that there is more than one problem with Hopkin. Our league position isn't great and as you say would probably be the same with some of the other candidates. More people could probably accept or tolerate if the other glaring warning signs weren't sticking out. Not really sure how this particular brand of football , alien opinion of matches and culling of previous managers signings would go down anywhere unless some serious peformances were happening

Every manager we've had as far back I've followed Ayr (Just as the money ran out / Barr leaving) had atleast something redeeming about their squads. Really struggling with Hopkin, feels like he's completely changed the club culture and split the fanbase like no other previously. There are so many red flags that could be avoided and have been manufactured by him. The playing style is a great example, keeps reverting to the artillery football even when his own squad have shown him they can play football. 

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

To be honest, he's probably not a bad shout for the rest of the season - he's fine at organising someone else's mess. Just don't let him sign players because one of them will be Stef McCluskey. 

In this instance, he is part of the mess though - unless he has no input whatsoever.