Your Clubs Least Expected Win.

aDskeFj.png

Edit: Of course the press (this is the Guardian if anyone is wondering, just happened to be the first hit on google) are more focussed on Celtic than us, as is tradition.

Edited by Ric

Lyon 0 - 3 Rangers immediately springs to mind. Especially considering this was a Walter Smith Rangers side that was not exactly known for it’s European prowess.

More recently battling back from 2 down to beat Braga in the Europa League.

An honourable mention for the Scottish Cup Semi Final win over Celtic on penalties. Let’s not discuss the final.

Edited by AJF

Sunday 13 May 2001.

Celtic vs Dundee

Celtic had won the league.

We went 1-0 up with a Caballero goal in the 29th minute.

Typical Dundee, we get Zurab Khizanishvili sent off 5 minutes later.

Normally we'd cave in - but we didn't and Caballero netted a second 3 minutes before halftime for 2-0.

We didn't even have our usual last 10 minutes shitting it - it stayed that way for the rest of the game.

16 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Sunday 13 May 2001.

Celtic vs Dundee

Celtic had won the league.

We went 1-0 up with a Caballero goal in the 29th minute.

Typical Dundee, we get Zurab Khizanishvili sent off 5 minutes later.

Normally we'd cave in - but we didn't and Caballero netted a second 3 minutes before halftime for 2-0.

We didn't even have our usual last 10 minutes shitting it - it stayed that way for the rest of the game.

We actually had a couple of chances to win it by more.

IIRC Larsson, to the surprise of absolutely no one, cheated to get Zurab sent off for what was then a "last man" foul. Martin O'Neill, ever the graceless c**t, dismissed it as a "well we'd already won the league anyway" type result. 

2 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

In my lifetime, I'd say beating Basle or Bordeaux away. Basle were excellent at home, I don't think a British side had won there before we did, Including Man U and Liverpool. 

Bordeaux was a drubbing, but we hung on in and rope a doped them. Never seen either result coming.

Domestically probably ending Celtic's unbeatable run under Rodgers. We had injury problems everyway as well as a shite squad. And we pumped them 4-0 with a team that included Brandon, Randall, Callachan, 16 year old Cochrane and we gave appearances to Grzelak and Stockton.  A fucking rotten Hearts team and we were sensational.

I’m just old enough to add Bayern at Tynecastle to that shortlist 

7 hours ago, Comrie said:

A few spring to mind:

Both Celtic semi wins.

Battering Caley 5-1 away.

Doing Aberdeen 4-0 at Pittodrie.

What a team Clachnacuddin were!

Edited by bendan

A few spring to mind but not sure they were all entirely unexpected but certainly pleasing.

1979 United 3 Aberdeen 0.  If anybody had seen us play at Hampden a few days prior I doubt many would have expected such a clear result to give us the Scottish League Cup, our first ever silverware.  Moving the replay to Dens was a masterstroke 😉 Retaining it by humping the Dees 3-0 on their own patch the following year was not a surprise.

1981 Monaco 2 United 5.  Raised quite a few eyebrows around Europe and at home.  Less so the 5 we put past the Dees a few days prior.

1981 - United 5 Borussia Monchengladbach 0. After being 0-2 down from first leg which they thought had wrapped up the tie.  That goal from Bannon was sublime.

1983 - Celtic 2 United 3.  Having lost to them a few weeks before and trailing Aberdeen and them in the league with only a few weeks to go, it was always going to be tough, especially on Glasgow.  That match gave us belief and put pressure on our rivals as it brought us back into the mix.  Even though everything rested on a final day derby at Dens, if you ask many fans, that was the night we won the league.

1987 United 1 Barcelona 0 and Barcelona 1 United 2.  Back to back wins against any Barcelona teams is nothing to take for granted (which made it 4 wins in 4).

1987 Borussia Monchengladbach 0 United 2. Still 0-0 in first leg which saw us the first Scottish team to reach the Uefa cup final.

1994 winning our Scottish at 7th attempt broke the "Hampden Hoodoo".  Less surprising for United fans as we felt long before our name was on the cup thanks to mad Ivan Golac.  Possibly more of a surprise to Rangers fans considering our Hampden record and the fact they were going for back to back trebles.

1996 United 2 Partick 1 (3-2 agg).  Being 0-1 down on the night after 1-1 first Leg in the play-off with literally seconds remaining everything was looking bleak.  Then Andy McLaren stepped up to take the game by the scruff of the neck.   First Brian Welsh popped up with a header from his cross... absolutely carnage.  Extra time followed and Owen Cole slotted home from a McLaren pass. Bodies everywhere, including on the pitch.  Suddenly we were back up into the big league.  Ended that night at Fat Sams dancing around a bit of turf I collected from the obligatory pitch invasion.

2005 Rangers 0 United 1.  The one that does stick in my head. An early goal by Stuart Duff...I will say that again...by Stuart Duff and heroics in goal by Tony Bullock gave Rangers their first home defeat of the season and went a long way to keeping us up.

5 hours ago, tree house tam said:

All these results against Rangers or Celtic or putting 5 past another Scottish side feels a bit tinpot to me. Most clubs should've had a few of these kind of results surely? Aberdeen skelping Rejika 3-0 was a truly surprising result imo as was Celtic beating Barcelona. For Saints, I think beating Rosenborg on their patch was a truly surprising result for me.  Although nowadays I'd kind of expect it tbh.

Surely the victory against the best St Mirren side for 30+ years?

5 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

St Johnstone 5 Aberdeen 0 in 1990 was a truly sensational result.

Aberdeen won both cups the previous year & lost of out on winning the league on the last day that season.

Yeah that's definitely the most surprising result I've been aware of. Saints were newly promoted to the Premier and having fared disastrously last time around my expectations were limited. I was in London when this result appeared on the old Grandstand teleprinter. Had me pinching myself.

2 hours ago, bendan said:

What a team Clachnacuddin were!

I'm a County fan still seething over Malky.

And hey, Clach have 18 Highland League titles.

21 hours ago, Munoz said:

Tomorrow I have minimal expectancy of our chances of even a point a Parkhead. What's been your most surprising result going into a game when your own team's form has been poor ,and your opponents the opposite? 

2013 League Cup Semi and final spring to mind for the Saints.

6-0 Celtic tomorrow. 

Can't bet against my own team. Would be filthy lucre. 

Well we didn't win but if the Hibs guy is having the draw in Greece then I'm choosing the 1-1 draw in Dnipro to send us through to the UEFA Cup group stages.

We had ominously missed our train from Kiev to Dnipropetrovsk by a whisker (we made to the platform to watch the train trundle away to the sound of military music).

In a state of desperation, we found a taxi driver (who bore an uncanny resemblance to the Aberdeen manager at the time, Jimmy Calderwood) who was willing to take us down (there were about eight of us) and we packed a carry out and off we set off on the six hour Dnipro bound journey awaiting the inevitable pasting.

But much to our amazement and unbridled joy we grabbed the scoring draw we required and Comrade Calderwood returned on the Friday to take us back up the road to Kiev.

Also Copenhagen and the home draw against Bayern Munich also caused much surprise in the same campaign

Edited by Bogbrush1903

17 hours ago, Comrie said:

Battering Caley 5-1 away.

This is the one that springs to mind for me. We were absolute murder that season and looked doomed to our first relegation... Caley were having a decent season.

That was (is?) the biggest doing we've ever handed out to them. It being under the lights on their own patch made it quite enjoyable.

16 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

A few spring to mind but not sure they were all entirely unexpected but certainly pleasing.

1979 United 3 Aberdeen 0.  If anybody had seen us play at Hampden a few days prior I doubt many would have expected such a clear result to give us the Scottish League Cup, our first ever silverware.  Moving the replay to Dens was a masterstroke 😉 Retaining it by humping the Dees 3-0 on their own patch the following year was not a surprise.

1981 Monaco 2 United 5.  Raised quite a few eyebrows around Europe and at home.  Less so the 5 we put past the Dees a few days prior.

1981 - United 5 Borussia Monchengladbach 0. After being 0-2 down from first leg which they thought had wrapped up the tie.  That goal from Bannon was sublime.

1983 - Celtic 2 United 3.  Having lost to them a few weeks before and trailing Aberdeen and them in the league with only a few weeks to go, it was always going to be tough, especially on Glasgow.  That match gave us belief and put pressure on our rivals as it brought us back into the mix.  Even though everything rested on a final day derby at Dens, if you ask many fans, that was the night we won the league.

1987 United 1 Barcelona 0 and Barcelona 1 United 2.  Back to back wins against any Barcelona teams is nothing to take for granted (which made it 4 wins in 4).

1987 Borussia Monchengladbach 0 United 2. Still 0-0 in first leg which saw us the first Scottish team to reach the Uefa cup final.

1994 winning our Scottish at 7th attempt broke the "Hampden Hoodoo".  Less surprising for United fans as we felt long before our name was on the cup thanks to mad Ivan Golac.  Possibly more of a surprise to Rangers fans considering our Hampden record and the fact they were going for back to back trebles.

1996 United 2 Partick 1 (3-2 agg).  Being 0-1 down on the night after 1-1 first Leg in the play-off with literally seconds remaining everything was looking bleak.  Then Andy McLaren stepped up to take the game by the scruff of the neck.   First Brian Welsh popped up with a header from his cross... absolutely carnage.  Extra time followed and Owen Cole slotted home from a McLaren pass. Bodies everywhere, including on the pitch.  Suddenly we were back up into the big league.  Ended that night at Fat Sams dancing around a bit of turf I collected from the obligatory pitch invasion.

2005 Rangers 0 United 1.  The one that does stick in my head. An early goal by Stuart Duff...I will say that again...by Stuart Duff and heroics in goal by Tony Bullock gave Rangers their first home defeat of the season and went a long way to keeping us up.

Hard to argue with any of that, though I might add in the cup replay against Rangers in 2010. They had horsed us 7-1 at Ibrox earlier in the season with the wotsit-munching pundit scoring 5, and we somehow came back from 3-1 down at Ibrox to sneak a replay, before David Robertson's arse helped us continue the journey to eventual glory.

Guest TheJTS98
22 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

In my lifetime, I'd say beating Basle or Bordeaux away. Basle were excellent at home, I don't think a British side had won there before we did, Including Man U and Liverpool. 

Bordeaux was a drubbing, but we hung on in and rope a doped them. Never seen either result coming.

Domestically probably ending Celtic's unbeatable run under Rodgers. We had injury problems everyway as well as a shite squad. And we pumped them 4-0 with a team that included Brandon, Randall, Callachan, 16 year old Cochrane and we gave appearances to Grzelak and Stockton.  A fucking rotten Hearts team and we were sensational.

I'd go for Basel there.

I think our 2004-05 team is quite unfairly maligned. They were actually pretty good and it was a decent season in context. Some good results, two cup semis, UEFA Cup groups.

But nobody thought we'd win in Basel and the opening stages of the game did not suggest it was on the cards either. Hartley and Kisnorbo were both suspended too.

A tremendous result from the side that also gave us the pumping of Braga, won at Parkhead, were mugged by the officials twice against Rangers, and had good head-to-head records against the sides that pushed us to fifth (Hibs and Aberdeen). They were a decent side let down by the shambles all around them at the club and a very congested fixture list due to their own success.

Edited by TheJTS98