Your Clubs Least Expected Win.

Tomorrow I have minimal expectancy of our chances of even a point a Parkhead. What's been your most surprising result going into a game when your own team's form has been poor ,and your opponents the opposite? 

2013 League Cup Semi and final spring to mind for the Saints.

6-0 Celtic tomorrow. 

In recent times I'd say beating Rangers 1-0 at home in our 4th or 5th game back up in the Premiership. 

Beating Celtic 2-0 at home as well was unexpected, I was out the night before and contemplated staying out and giving the game a miss as I'd expected an absolute hounding. I'm glad I called it an early one and caught one of our best results ever :D 

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

In recent times I'd say beating Rangers 1-0 at home in our 4th or 5th game back up in the Premiership. 

Beating Celtic 2-0 at home as well was unexpected, I was out the night before and contemplated staying out and giving the game a miss as I'd expected an absolute hounding. I'm glad I called it an early one and caught one of our best results ever :D 

I can relate to that, I know of Saints supporters that weren't going to bother going to the semi against Celtic back in 2013. There's always a chance no matter how slim it seems at the time.

2-1 Saints tomorrow. 

Yep as ATLIS said the 2-0win over Celtic, first time we ever beat them in our history, had beaten every other team we've played bar them and Gretna, and Gretna went bust so was only Celtic we had still to beat. Could hardly believe it, even when we were 2 up it still felt nervy.

Think the 5-0 thumping of Hearts is another one, not that we couldn't beat them, but 5-0, really didn't see that result coming.

Hibs beating Rangers 3-0 at Ibrox in 2010 with Valdas Trakys bullying their central defenders for the duration. Roughly 300 Hibs fans in the corner for a midweek game we expected to lose heavily. Glorious.

Unfortunately best footage I can find  is some boy filming his TV 

Beating Rangers 5-1 back in November 1998. Though we were Champions at the time we were struggling at that period as Jo Venglos was under pressure. We had a bit of an injury crisis, 10 points back in the league and we didn't exactly have a good record of even beating Rangers back then let alone thrashing them. We even had to make do with Lubomir Moravcik.. But a Doubles from Henrik and Lubo as well as a goal from Burchill. 

The others were knocking out Barcelona 1-0 on aggregate in the UEFA cup in 2004 when a young David Marshall came on at half time for his debut in the first leg after Rab Douglas had been sent off at half time along with Motta, Saviola was also sent off in the first leg. The 2nd leg in Spain we got an absolute hiding but somehow a Young John Kennedy along with Marshall helped us to a 0-0 draw. Also the Champions League win in 2012 which again we got away with not getting a pumping!

5 hours ago, Zing. said:

Hibs beating Rangers 3-0 at Ibrox in 2010 with Valdas Trakys bullying their central defenders for the duration. Roughly 300 Hibs fans in the corner for a midweek game we expected to lose heavily. Glorious.

Unfortunately best footage I can find  is some boy filming his TV 

This was what immediately came to mind for me too. As awful as it was I have very fond memories of that season. Half empty Easter road, ridiculously bad football but for some reason a good laugh 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

7 hours ago, Munoz said:

Tomorrow I have minimal expectancy of our chances of even a point a Parkhead. What's been your most surprising result going into a game when your own team's form has been poor ,and your opponents the opposite? 

2013 League Cup Semi and final spring to mind for the Saints.

6-0 Celtic tomorrow. 

The most surprising loss I can remember against St.Mirren was when you won 1-0 in the cup, mainly because we won 7-0 in the league against yous the week before.The 7-0 game was also a strange one as none of our strikers scored in it iirc.

Edited by gannonball

We have had our fair share of wins over the Old Firm since I started watching Motherwell in the late 70’s / early 80’s.

But I am sure if you analyse our wins it would probably be 80% against Celtic and 20% Rangers.

Our record v Rangers has been abysmal. So any win against them would be unexpected. 

Therefore I will give you the win at Ibrox to stop them winning the title that day in 1997. Then we have the play offs in 2015. They may have been a lower league outfit but all the pundits and their fans thought it was a formality. And we thrashed them 6-1 which was even more unexpected. Finally I guess the League Cup semi in 2017 to get to the final. So 3 unexpected but very welcome victories. 

Love GIF

Beating a top drawer Rangers side 4-3 at Dens early in the 1992-93 season having just been promoted. 

Probably a bigger surprise was beating them at Ibrox in November 1999. We were bottom of the table at the time, and Rangers had only dropped one point in the entire season. Gavin Rae scored in stoppage time to win it. Rangers only lost one other game that season in the league. 

The most surprising loss I can remember against St.Mirren was when you won 1-0 in the cup, mainly because we won 7-0 in the league against yous the week before.The 7-0 game was also a strange one as none of our strikers scored in it iirc.

No requirement for your strikers to do anything that day, John Potter took care of it for them.

The infamous Tony Mowbray night in Paisley is probably high up on the list of least expected results. There was another infamous result just 3 days prior not in our favour, which is now expunged from the history books. But I don’t think anyone expected a result that night nevermind a 4-0 win.

I know we drew the actual leg in question but the result was an overall win.

When we went over to Greece to play Asteras Tripolis we had a 3-2 lead and the away goals rule wasn’t a thing.

The first leg we were 2-0 down at a packed Easter Road at half time and we battled back and won 3-2 where the crowd totally drove us on and that last minute winner was just utter chaos.

I travelled over to Greece for the away leg after previously being in the Faroe Islands 2 weeks prior for our match in the round before with absolutely 0 optimism, I was convinced we would lose 2 or 3-0 and lose an early goal and them to just be a lot better than us, I think everybody did to be fair. Our taxi driver was a Panathanaikos fan, telling us we had no chance.

The game pretty much followed that trend, they were allover us but in the first half we broke up the park and John McGinn (he played for Hibs btw) absolutely hammered it low past their keeper.

Early second half they went down to 10 but it didn’t stop them absolutely battering us again, they levelled it and a 2nd would have taken them through on away goals and some of the saves Adam Bogdan made were unbelievable, a really underrated Hibs keeper like.

Went through 4-3 on aggregate so it counts imo.

All these results against Rangers or Celtic or putting 5 past another Scottish side feels a bit tinpot to me. Most clubs should've had a few of these kind of results surely? Aberdeen skelping Rejika 3-0 was a truly surprising result imo as was Celtic beating Barcelona. For Saints, I think beating Rosenborg on their patch was a truly surprising result for me.  Although nowadays I'd kind of expect it tbh.

In my lifetime, I'd say beating Basle or Bordeaux away. Basle were excellent at home, I don't think a British side had won there before we did, Including Man U and Liverpool. 

Bordeaux was a drubbing, but we hung on in and rope a doped them. Never seen either result coming.

Domestically probably ending Celtic's unbeatable run under Rodgers. We had injury problems everyway as well as a shite squad. And we pumped them 4-0 with a team that included Brandon, Randall, Callachan, 16 year old Cochrane and we gave appearances to Grzelak and Stockton.  A fucking rotten Hearts team and we were sensational.