SNP / Green and their Cooperation Agreement

Ric

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There's no doubt the DUP were bribed - they just didn't get money directly themselves.

I suppose they they thought that securing extra monies for NI would help them in the electoral stakes - it appears though that that has been outweighed by them selling out on Brexit.

when u definitely understand northern irish politics

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There's no doubt the DUP were bribed - they just didn't get money directly themselves.

I suppose they they thought that securing extra monies for NI would help them in the electoral stakes - it appears though that that has been outweighed by them selling out on Brexit.

The money was a welcome bonus and a bit of dick waving for the folks back home. I think their main aim was an east west border in Ireland through Brexit instead of steady integration of institutions with the South. Didn't work out too well for them.

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

Still annoyed at that?

So annoyed you will ignore the evidence to my claims?

Yup, both of those things.

Enjoy dining out on this succulent lamb: https://www.indy100.com/news/dup-theresa-may-tory-deal-alliance-minority-government-quotes-arlene-foster-lgbt-abortion-religion-7783241

Let's check..

Deny evolution [], Deny climate change [], Are bigots and racists [], Are religious zealots [], Homo and transphobic []

Ooft, 5 out of 5 big man, just where do you go from here?

I'm not debating any of the above with you you weird guy, I was just pointing out that you were making jokes about dead disabled people the other day so yours posts here are of no surprise. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The money was a welcome bonus and a bit of dick waving for the folks back home. I think their main aim was an east west border in Ireland through Brexit instead of steady integration of institutions with the South. Didn't work out too well for them.

How was that going to work, then?

Just now, SANTAN said:

I'm not debating any of the above with you you weird guy, I was just pointing out that you were making jokes about dead disabled people the other day so yours posts here are of no surprise. 

Build a bridge...

35 minutes ago, Ric said:

You are as bad as JG, it's all "concessions" or "secured additional money", then going on to say that this is "just normal politics".

The idea that the DUP altruistically flipped their very aggressive stance on a policy that is a core tenet of their manifesto, to do so in order to gain concessions or additional money, right at the very time the conservative government needed them in order to pass Brexit is just down right political myopia.

You both accept that the DUP "did very handsomely" out of the deal, a deal that would go hilariously sour because like a frog riding scorpion it's in their nature to f**k people over even if they are saving their (political) lives, but it seems your sticking point is with the word bribe as if it entails some shady street corner and a bloke in a dark trench coat.

It seems like you simply cannot see the wood for the trees, although it does suggest that you are both incapable of objectivity.

I don't accept that the DUP did handsomely out of the deal at all.  Sorry to let facts get it the way of your fantasy but here is the DUP income as registered with the EC.

2018 - £411,685

2019 - £499,957

Public funds received Q1 2020 - £78,115.

Going to take a hell of a long time for all those millions to get washed through their accounts.

You are clearly incapable of comprehending basic English - The DUP did not only not receive a bribe, they did not receive any additional money for the party from their agreement with the UK government.  So my issue is not with the word "bribe" but with your statement that the DUP received additional money.  You either don't know the difference between parties and assemblies or you are choosing to conflate the two deliberately. Regardless you point was wrong, is still wrong, and will continue to be wrong unless you can show where The Democratic Unionist Party received additional funds from the UK government.  To call others lunatics for pointing out your obvious inaccuracies is laughable.

As for principles - I like your take that principles are more important than getting the best outcome for your country in the immediate term.  Look forward to the SNP refusing the Block Grant since they don't believe we should be part of the UK or funded centrally.  Or maybe even pay back the £270,983 that they received in the first quarter if this year.

For anyone wond

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

How was that going to work, then?

This simply underlines the issue with the Conservatives, they are not to be trusted, not a single inch. That goes for the unionists up here as it does at Westminster. You can accept that the Tories would rinse the lib dems so badly to the point they struggle to get into double figures for their MPs (and do even worse at Holyrood) because they were expendable. Their reason d'etre was to allow Osbourne to force through austerity measures and f**k over just about everybody except a nice slice of Osbourne's rich friends (it's one, certainly not all, of the reasons LibDems should never be near power). However the DUP were their racist bigoted cousin that would get away with bigotry and religious zealotry because "that's just the politics of NI". They were staunch, right wing and unapologetic about it all. They should have been bosom buddies, but no.. like the frog riding scorpion, it's in their nature to f**k over even those who are (politically) saving them.

The fact that people continue to vote for them (thankfully in ever decreasing numbers up here) is genuinely troubling.

33 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's also notable that some posters will come to the defence of a party whose key politicians in no short measure...

* Deny evolution

* Deny climate change

* Are bigots and racists

* Are religious zealots

* Homo and transphobic.

The very fact that you would defend the "good nature" of a party containing prominent politicians who are considerably not of good nature, said an absolute shitload about both of you. Without going all Poe's Law, I fully expect you to state that Albert Speer was just a good architect and nothing more.

Another absolute abortion of a post.  Having already had your stupidity pointed out, you double down with this.  Please point to any post where any comment has been made on the DUP policies other than your one above.

The party may have people and policies that we all disagree on but that doesn't give you carte blanche to make shit up.

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

I don't accept that the DUP did handsomely out of the deal at all.  Sorry to let facts get it the way of your fantasy but here is the DUP income as registered with the EC.

2018 - £411,685

2019 - £499,957

Public funds received Q1 2020 - £78,115.

Going to take a hell of a long time for all those millions to get washed through their accounts.

You are clearly incapable of comprehending basic English - The DUP did not only not receive a bribe, they did not receive any additional money for the party from their agreement with the UK government.

Everybody else: The DUP didn't get cash directly
You: WhY aRe YoU lYiNg, LoOk At ThE aCcOuNtS!
Everybody else: Em, ok, mate, nobody is saying they were literally handed bundles of cash
You: LoOk At ThE aCcOuNtS!

I presume it takes effort to be this intentionally obtuse?  Your failure to understand the point being made, then to go on and argue another one, one that isn't challenged at all, is quite an impressive feat. I'm impressed.

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

Another absolute abortion of a post.  Having already had your stupidity pointed out, you double down with this.  Please point to any post where any comment has been made on the DUP policies other than your one above.

The party may have people and policies that we all disagree on but that doesn't give you carte blanche to make shit up.

You didn't follow the actual source link did you? When you do that "make shit up" claim is going to make you look REALLY silly.

But no, continue to shill for a party who, absolutely without any doubt; Denied evolution, denied climate change, used bigoted and racist rhetoric, are religious zealots and use homophobic and transphobic language. Any attempt to deny this will only suggest you actually support those sorts of opinions.

Edited by Ric

On 20/08/2021 at 19:07, Abdul_Latif said:

Don’t see it lasting more than a year tbh. 

The Greens will eventually get pissed off with SNP inaction as regards climate change, transport etc as they are trying to please too many people to get their Indy vote.

No chance. Wee Patrick is clearly aiming to build up something similar to the German Greens and embed himself right in the establishment. GreenWashing is big business and is only going to get more lucrative.

Sturgeon is smart enough to realise that if she gives him enough Third Sector jobs and cash to pass around he'll build up a wee powerbase that completely neutralises any threat to the left of the SNP and allows them to continue to move rightwards.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Should get an SNP/DUP coalition going. Hands across the ocean.

To be fair, Dumfries and Galloway has always struck me as a bit staunch. I'm sure they could arrange "a nice walk" across the bridge to celebrate its opening.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Everybody else: The DUP didn't get cash directly
You: WhY aRe YoU lYiNg, LoOk At ThE aCcOuNtS!
Everybody else: Em, ok, mate, nobody is saying they were literally handed bundles of cash
You: LoOk At ThE aCcOuNtS!

I presume it takes effort to be this intentionally obtuse?  Your failure to understand the point being made, then to go on and argue another one, one that isn't challenged at all, is quite an impressive feat. I'm impressed.

When you say "everyone else" you mean everyone else bar ric?

Anyway, I'll leave you howling at the moon on this.

Just now, strichener said:

When you say "everyone else" you mean everyone else bar ric?

Anyway, I'll leave you howling at the moon on this.

:lol:

Nice attempt to back out of what has clearly turned into a complete car crash for you. I'll be sorry to see you go, after all few people manage to miss the blindingly obvious quite as well as you do. It's quite the talent.

btw, any feedback on the "make shit up" claim. I presume you've now clicked on that source and seen that I am not "making shit up" or would you like to double down on your bullshit?

3 hours ago, Ric said:

You didn't follow the actual source link did you? When you do that "make shit up" claim is going to make you look REALLY silly.

But no, continue to shill for a party who, absolutely without any doubt; Denied evolution, denied climate change, used bigoted and racist rhetoric, are religious zealots and use homophobic and transphobic language. Any attempt to deny this will only suggest you actually support those sorts of opinions.

Erm?  I may be being "REALLY silly" here but the post I responded to didn't have a link.  

Any luck in finding posts supporting the DUP policies?  Or is this just a case of throwing shit about and hoping it'll stick.

Just now, strichener said:

Erm?  I may be being "REALLY silly" here but the post I responded to didn't have a link.  

Any luck in finding posts supporting the DUP policies?  Or is this just a case of throwing shit about and hoping it'll stick.

So first off you said, "that's it I'm out", now you are replying in seconds to refute a claim nobody made, after again trying to refute another claim nobody made.

f**k me, give up while you're behind.

Just for clarity:

- the DUP were not given cash directly nobody said that, you however have gone on to argue that someone did and that they are wrong.
- DUP politicians have regularly in the past put their support behind hateful opinion, but you are unable to follow a link on a page that provides source of those comments.

It's a funny thing, on one hand you are demanding source for the claims that nobody made, yet refuse to look at source for the claims being made. It's almost like you wish to try and argue petty semantics, when the evidence is right in front of you.