13 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye mostly defenders, 

Guess the team tine......

Currie

McGill.           McCabe.         Fordyce..        MacDonald

Agnew

Frizzell.            Easton

G McGill.           Gallagher.             Smith

subs....Cantley,     Ritchie,,,,       that's it.....

Good luck guys,   we must take those chances today

Fair play to Dean Ritchie if he still can’t get a game today. I think Hearts played Scott McGill at centre back for a bit in pre-season so I think he might start there beside Fordyce. I wouldn’t even be surprised to see a back three of McGill, Fordyce and McCabe.

Not surprised to see Craig Watson’s one of them given his views on Twitter.

Edited by Mr November

Assuming the six mentioned are correct then the defence really is in bad shape. The match preview mentions Kerr still wasn't ready to return from injury so he wouldn't have been involved anyway but the rest really are a worry, especially with Lyons also out injured. If

Currie

McDonald S.McGill Fordyce Agnew

Frizzell McCabe Easton

Smith Gal G.McGill

That's the best I can come up with. If McGill's played centre half before and the missing players mentioned above are correct then he's definitely in there. I've thrown Agnew at left back for no reason other than the fact that he is actually left footed but we've been told that McDonald can play either full back role and is good with both feet so it could be him over there and someone else at right back. Ritchie's played there before and Gal's played as a wing back for us in the past. I feel like Smith would put in a decent shift from a wing back kind of role as well.

20 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Assuming the six mentioned are correct then the defence really is in bad shape. The match preview mentions Kerr still wasn't ready to return from injury so he wouldn't have been involved anyway but the rest really are a worry, especially with Lyons also out injured. If

Currie

McDonald S.McGill Fordyce Agnew

Frizzell McCabe Easton

Smith Gal G.McGill

That's the best I can come up with. If McGill's played centre half before and the missing players mentioned above are correct then he's definitely in there. I've thrown Agnew at left back for no reason other than the fact that he is actually left footed but we've been told that McDonald can play either full back role and is good with both feet so it could be him over there and someone else at right back. Ritchie's played there before and Gal's played as a wing back for us in the past. I feel like Smith would put in a decent shift from a wing back kind of role as well.

For me I’d want to leave the midfield as is as much as possible and try and dominate the game from there. If we can ‘play on the front foot’ and hold on to possession as much as possible then ideally we can take a lot of pressure off of our makeshift defence. For that reason I’d be keeping McCabe in the midfield and going with a back 4 of Fordyce and McGill in the middle and McDonald and Ritchie at full-back. It’s not ideal at all but it’s probably as least makeshift as we’re going to get. 

I see we’ve just signed a midfielder on loan. I wonder if he can play at the back also though it’d be a big ask for a 17 year old to come in and play out of position in a makeshift defence. At the very least it’s another option off the bench. 

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

For me I’d want to leave the midfield as is as much as possible and try and dominate the game from there. If we can ‘play on the front foot’ and hold on to possession as much as possible then ideally we can take a lot of pressure off of our makeshift defence. For that reason I’d be keeping McCabe in the midfield and going with a back 4 of Fordyce and McGill in the middle and McDonald and Ritchie at full-back. It’s not ideal at all but it’s probably as least makeshift as we’re going to get. 

I see we’ve just signed a midfielder on loan. I wonder if he can play at the back also though it’d be a big ask for a 17 year old to come in and play out of position in a makeshift defence. At the very least it’s another option off the bench. 

Totally agree. McCabe looks capable of controlling games for us. If we remove him from that midfield we risk sitting in and inviting pressure on our makeshift defence. I'd also argue that being our deepest midfielder doesn't make him the one best suited to playing in defence. Better just sticking one of the taller lads capable of heading the ball away in there imo, which might be McGill tbh I can't remember perfectly but I'm sure he's looked quite tall on the pitch.