Livi v Motherwell 21/8

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Lawless joined us as a squad player but, with a string of good performances, developed into a regular starter. He was particularly good at dead ball and penalties but struggles with tracking back to defend.

Rarely did he manage to see out a match, at best he would last 80 minutes but, more often, was substituted after about 70.

I was actually surprised when we signed him initially because he hardly distinguished himself in the play-off for Thistle; but he settled in well with the squad at the time.  Often though his comments, particularly when talking about Motherwell, implied that he felt there was still unfinished business there - as far as I understand he felt he never really got much of a chance the first time around?

For me, Lawless was an excellent out ball for us.  He was always there to take the ball, usually out on the touchline holding onto the ball and winning throw ins etc 

35 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

For me, Lawless was an excellent out ball for us.  He was always there to take the ball, usually out on the touchline holding onto the ball and winning throw ins etc 

He was comfortable as right wing attacking midfield and performed well as a result. When we tried him as a makeshift number nine it was nothing short of a disaster in my opinion.

During his "purple patch" he was probably one of the fist five names on the starting line up and he didn't throw a "hissy fit" when being substituted unlike another winger I could mention.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

There's an argument that that probably gets more out of SOD as well. with the 343/352 against Annan, the 4231 that seems to have been our Plan B and the 433 it feels like Alexander's been bouncing things around to see what, if anything, works.

Based on the players we have available that 343/352 is probably the one with most players in their natural positions.

2981cc9a-f90b-47e3-b000-a4b5525f1a10_tex

3 at the back currently would be folly given there is zero pace.

Think the rank and file should stop overthinking.  4-2-3-1? Just variations of 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 all which we’ve deployed given passages of play. It takes each unit working to bear fruit - we’re miles off that be it players, instructions & requirement to strengthen.

Sibbald had a belter against St Mirren, Pittman buzzed about all over the place and had a good game too, need both of them to push on and show consistency now. And if Pitts could start sticking some of his chances away he'd hit 15+ goals easy, gets in great positions but his finishing just now is poor.

Like the look of our new signing Odin Bailey, boy is keen as f**k to score goals, hopefully gets one in this game and that opens it up for a lot more. The other new signing, Harrison panayiotou, looks like he could be useful as well. I'm,  actually excited about games now, after a meh start to our season in the cup group stages, where we were all over the place not looking good at all. Been a steady improvement in League games, and our last cup game there.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

13 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Gallagher is a much much better footballer don't get me wrong, but if you look at both of their 20/21 seasons for us- Gallagher being mediocre compared to his previously high standards and then disappearing for the whole of March for some reason Vs Lamie being a bombscare to begin with and eventually verging on competent- I'd say Lamie contributed more over the course of the season.

It is semantics really in the end though, and aye he's still not good enough to be playing 38 games for anyone in this league.

Fair comment Yassin.

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

He was comfortable as right wing attacking midfield and performed well as a result. When we tried him as a makeshift number nine it was nothing short of a disaster in my opinion.

During his "purple patch" he was probably one of the fist five names on the starting line up and he didn't throw a "hissy fit" when being substituted unlike another winger I could mention.

Yup, definitely not a striker.  Maybe that first goal he scored for us against Accies caused some confusion.

2 hours ago, East Calder Lion said:

Yup, definitely not a striker.  Maybe that first goal he scored for us against Accies caused some confusion.

Aye he always scored the odd worldie every year or so. Was a decent winger though, esp when Dykes was playing beside him.

30 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Only really echoing what others have said but the only way we win this 1-0 is if we score with the last kick of the ball. There's little to no chance we won't concede against a team desperate for a goal. 

The defence have started to look increasingly more settle; however our management's propensity to phuque around with the defence, round about 60 - 70 minutes in, can completely upset the balance. 

Irrespective of when/if we score we really need to cut that particular "own-goal" out.

Livi have definitely improved the last few games.Hope the new boys get a chance,they look promising.On the game itself ,always a tough shift against the Well.Both teams desperate for points .Home advantage on our pitch could just swing it Livi,s way.Most punters will have this down as a banker draw and tbh I couldn't argue with them.Looking forward to it.Mon the Lions.🦁👊👍.

We seemed to struggle in this fixture a fair bit with Robinson in charge as more often than not it felt like his focus was on trying to match Livi or whatever he thought Livi were.

Since Livi have been back in the Premiership we're P 5 W 2 D 1 L 2 at the Spaghettihad. Not the best, not the worst.

31/10/20 - Livingston 0 - 2 Motherwell
01/02/20 - Livingston 1 - 0 Motherwell
03/08/19 - Livingston 0 - 0 Motherwell
01/12/18 - Livingston 2 - 0 Motherwell
18/08/18 - Livingston 0 - 1 Motherwell (LC)

How Alexander chooses to approach this one? f**k knows.

He had a solid 3-1 win at Fir Park last season but he's not managed us on *that* pitch and the whole "I'm still learning about Scottish football" angle he's got going along with our general work-in-progress vibe doesn't exactly inspire confidence at the moment. 

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We seemed to struggle in this fixture a fair bit with Robinson in charge as more often than not it felt like his focus was on trying to match Livi or whatever he thought Livi were.

Since Livi have been back in the Premiership we're P 5 W 2 D 1 L 2 at the Spaghettihad. Not the best, not the worst.

31/10/20 - Livingston 0 - 2 Motherwell
01/02/20 - Livingston 1 - 0 Motherwell
03/08/19 - Livingston 0 - 0 Motherwell
01/12/18 - Livingston 2 - 0 Motherwell
18/08/18 - Livingston 0 - 1 Motherwell (LC)

How Alexander chooses to approach this one? f**k knows.

He had a solid 3-1 win at Fir Park last season but he's not managed us on *that* pitch and the whole "I'm still learning about Scottish football" angle he's got going along with our general work-in-progress vibe doesn't exactly inspire confidence at the moment. 

It's not as bad a record as I thought TBH - but the 1-0 and 2-0 losses were two of the worst performances of the Robinson era and so count double - 2 of the grimmest games I can remember sitting through.

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'm intending to go so I imagine this will be a miserable afternoon. 2-0 Livingston. Jack McMillan with both.

Your going to lose a game thanks to a brace scored by a guy on crutches - this I've got to see. 👍

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

It's not as bad a record as I thought TBH - but the 1-0 and 2-0 losses were two of the worst performances of the Robinson era and so count double - 2 of the grimmest games I can remember sitting through.

Aye, I think those specific performances make it feel worse. The 0-0 was a grind.

It definitely feels worse when you compare it with our record at FP: P 5 W 4 D 1 L 0

06/03/21 - Motherwell 3 - 1 Livingston
12/08/20 - Motherwell 2 - 2 Livingston
02/11/19 - Motherwell 2 - 1 Livingston
18/05/19 - Motherwell 3 - 2 Livingston
02/02/19 - Motherwell 3 - 0 Livingston

12 minutes ago, Swello said:

Yup, a real low point watching us shell high balls towards the strike paring of Manzinga and Mugabi. 

Pretty sure Hartley hit the post in injury time with what was our first and only shot in the entire game.