Livi v Motherwell 21/8

4 hours ago, hoobahabba said:

Shite result. We don't look too bad coming forward but our defence has looked pish in every game I've seen. I think Pittman could do with a rest too. Long season ahead..

Isn't helped by Martindale doing his repetitive switching around with Kelly coming on, Fitzwater going to RWB, and Devlin moving to midfield, it has led to us conceding a goal each time he does it.

Yeah going forward we looked quite good, some cracking passages of play, but poor end product, particularly Devlin missing an open goal from 6 yards.

Defensively we are just so slow to react to balls inside our box, and just now we need 2 goals to get anything from games. So either we need to get a bit more clinical in front of goal, or stop conceding such preventable goals, i'd prefer we did both though tbh.

As has been mentioned, class by Liam Kelly to stop and join in with the applause for Steven Carrie, and all the Well fans joining in too. Also refreshing to see opposition fans not invading our pitch when scoring against us.

24 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

As has been mentioned, class by Liam Kelly to stop and join in with the applause for Steven Carrie, and all the Well fans joining in too. Also refreshing to see opposition fans not invading our pitch when scoring against us.

Was it Kelly that initiated it? I noticed that the ref sanctioned it and joined in, I wondered if there was a pre game arrangement that if there happened to be a break then it would be acknowledged.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I am in no way a fan of having team come at our 8 mean defence for 12/13 mins. It'd be different if we were good at defending, I canny argue with the results when we do it though. Not very often we have lost a goal when doing it. (I know there is one or two)

Couldn't stop laughing at our back 6. Even with them, I had absolutely zero confidence in us seeing it out.

Just about worth the three points,  and good to get a comeback after 3 games rather than the 26 or whatever it was last year.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Was it Kelly that initiated it? I noticed that the ref sanctioned it and joined in, I wondered if there was a pre game arrangement that if there happened to be a break then it would be acknowledged.

Dear god, don't tell me i have to give the ref some praise, well done to the r.....................nope couldn't do it.

Watt our best player today (time to try 2 up front with him and Van Veen?) and enjoyed watching the bold Justin sprint about like a daftie. Definitely raw but appreciated the effort and his pace was causing some problems for Livi. Woolery continues to show nice touches but feck all when it comes to finishing or passing to anyone else in claret and amber. I'm thinking fur coat and nae knickers, in the grand tradition of many of the English lower league forwards we've signed in recent years. I was also impressed by Slattery again, definitely more technically gifted than the majority of our squad and I like that he's willing to put himself about a bit too. And very chuffed for Grimmy - I've missed watching him casually stick a foot in 10 minutes after the ball has gone.

Still look suspect at the back, so I fully expect we'll get skelped 5-2 by multiple teams over the season if we stick with what we have in defence.

Shinnie, Holt, and Forrest in particular (who seemed to be their main/only out ball for the first 30 mins) played well for Livi, but otherwise thought they were bang average. Despite the great run theyi had when he took over, it kind of looks like Martindale isn't the most tactically, ahem, 'astute', based on the games I've seen?

1 hour ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Despite the great run theyi had when he took over, it kind of looks like Martindale isn't the most tactically, ahem, 'astute', based on the games I've seen?

One league win since February and dropping points almost directly because of tactical changes suggests you're not wrong. Still learning I think but I'd like it if he learned a bit quicker.

On 17/08/2021 at 10:25, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye not sure we've got it in us to win a game 1-0, unless it's a late winner so we don't have much time left to hold onto our lead. Wouldn't feel comfortable unless we went 2-0 up.

Think Motherwell have goals in them too, and Watt caused us a lot of trouble last season, should be a good tussle between him and Obileye.  Think we'll just sneak it, 2-1 Livi.

Not bad, right up to the last sentence.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Not bad, right up to the last sentence.

Aye, if only Devlin had managed to score from 6 yards out, just before Motherwell got their 2nd. If only doesn't get you points though, Motherwell were much sharper and alert inside the box, and took their goals well (no pun intended).

Btw, i know you've signed a lot of our players, and gone with a strip better suited to Livi than Livi's two strips, but it's gone too far when your players confuse our fans for yours, and run over to us to celebrate your goals, Watt even taking a bow in front of us.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

One league win since February and dropping points almost directly because of tactical changes suggests you're not wrong. Still learning I think but I'd like it if he learned a bit quicker.

His main focus seems to be on what the opposition does, and changing our team to counter that, to stop their attacking threat, instead of looking at how we can hurt teams ourselves. And it invariably doesn't work, as we keep conceding 'soft' goals, and not scoring any ourselves (after his tactical changes).

33 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye, if only Devlin had managed to score from 6 yards out, just before Motherwell got their 2nd. If only doesn't get you points though, Motherwell were much sharper and alert inside the box, and took their goals well (no pun intended).

Btw, i know you've signed a lot of our players, and gone with a strip better suited to Livi than Livi's two strips, but it's gone too far when your players confuse our fans for yours, and run over to us to celebrate your goals, Watt even taking a bow in front of us.

He was just spreading the love, we are an all inclusive club

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

We exist to improve people's lives.

Thought we deserved the win in the end. I was concerned we'd revert to peak Alexanderball and try to shut up shop at 1-1 but at least we saved played 7 defenders for the last 10 minutes. So chuffed for Grimshaw. He's had a shiter of a time of things recently and he just bloody loves ML1. 

I thought the collision between Stryjek & Kelly was a bit of a nonsense. No chance is that a foul from Amaluzor for me. Stryjek himself seems like a total bombscare. Despite what Michael Stewart tries to tell you about that being "a good save, initially" it is definitely not. Proper Craig Samson lettuce hands on display for it. 

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Thought we deserved the win in the end. I was concerned we'd revert to peak Alexanderball and try to shut up shop at 1-1 but at least we saved played 7 defenders for the last 10 minutes. So chuffed for Grimshaw. He's had a shiter of a time of things recently and he just bloody loves ML1. 

I thought the collision between Stryjek & Kelly was a bit of a nonsense. No chance is that a foul from Amaluzor for me. Stryjek himself seems like a total bombscare. Despite what Michael Stewart tries to tell you about that being "a good save, initially" it is definitely not. Proper Craig Samson lettuce hands on display for it. 

Did anyone think Amaluzor was going to turn and chip the ball into the net?

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The whole goalie / defender thing was a total farce, keeper raises his knee totally unnecessarily and takes out the defender...there's simply no way that powder-puff 'touch' on the defender's back had any bearing whatsoever on the incident.

However, as mentioned earlier, (or perhaps it was on SO, can't mind), it made it an easy choice for the referee to give a free kick and move on from what could have been a hugely contentious incident.

Anyway, incidentally, noted the Sportscene commentary have already renamed Amaluzor to the even more exotic and fanciful "Am-luz-aar"...like it...

Bit like Sky Sports renaming Tomas Rosicky as Tomas "Rodziscky / Radziscky" for all the seasons he was in EPL...!

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye, if only Devlin had managed to score from 6 yards out, just before Motherwell got their 2nd.

My recollection may be wrong and I haven’t seen highlights yet, but I don’t think he was anywhere near as close as that. I thought he was nearer 12 yards out and it’s on the half volley - and he’s not a striker. Not a gimme, that’s for sure. 

Re our tactics - I’ve said it on our big thread and will say it here to. During our unbeaten run when he was speaking to every media outlet in the land, the manager said that he would change tactics during games in order to keep players on their toes. If you think he’s going to happen upon a formation and keep it whilst we’re getting horses every week, you’re dreaming.