QF - Celtic v Raith Rovers

keyser_soze

Acht well, it wasn't the rodgering I was expecting (thought it would be worse) but fair play to the team who at least tried, when they could, to play their passing game here and there. For large spells we were sitting so deep we might have well been in with the Green Brigade but once we settled felt we had some nice short passages of play but a mixture of Celtic closing us down quickly and perhaps players panicking meant it didn't come to much. Even though it was 3-0 I thought defensively we looked quite sound, for an old carthorse I thought Berra was solid and kudos to the players for continuing to try and get forward when we were down to 10 men. Wouldn't say Celtic were battering on the door throughout the game but they were comfortable and apart from picking the ball out the net 3 times MacDonald didn't have an awful lot to do. Poor goals to lose from our persepctive which is the frustrating thing. 

Anyway, good learning experience for the players and thank fook Zanatta's sending off doesn't impact him in the league. 

Thought Raith played better with 10 men maybe Celtic coming off it a bit seeing the game out,Ange taking Ajeti off was good since we only have one fit striker.
Was good to see Scales for the first time looked decent on the left,Jota's best game so far  plus Monti just gets better every game.
Credit to Raith getting the ball down and brave on the ball some nice passing moves.
Celtic are still a team getting to know each other still waiting on that complete performance.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Thought Raith played better with 10 men maybe Celtic coming off it a bit seeing the game out,Ange taking Ajeti off was good since we only have one fit striker.
Was good to see Scales for the first time looked decent on the left,Jota's best game so far  plus Monti just gets better every game.
Credit to Raith getting the ball down and brave on the ball some nice passing moves.
Celtic are still a team getting to know each other still waiting on that complete performance.

Yeah Scales certainly looks quick enough and composed as well. Think people were a bit harsh on Ajeti yesterday as well considering he nicked the ball to start the move to score the third. He might no be the most Ideal striker for us but he does get more involved than what is made out.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Yeah Scales certainly looks quick enough and composed as well. Think people were a bit harsh on Ajeti yesterday as well considering he nicked the ball to start the move to score the third. He might no be the most Ideal striker for us but he does get more involved than what is made out.

I think Ajeti is lacking in a bit of confidence I'm quite happy for him to stay in and around the box he just needs to find that wee bit more space to work in, that wee 5 yards off the defenders to get his goals, his link up play needs to be better.

I often find myself watching Sportscene and can’t believe the amount of goals that opposition goalkeepers appear to chuck in at Ibrox/Parkhead.

The second and third goals aren’t exactly howlers but I think Jamie MacDonald will feel he could’ve done better, and we don’t see him being beaten by shots like the third goal in the Championship. Maybe a ball being struck slightly harder or slightly earlier than usual makes all the difference. It’s interesting, if nothing else.

3-0 probably a fair scoreline, I thought we were doing just fine in the first half until about a minute before the opener where suddenly it felt like a goal was coming, and sure enough it did. From there it was always very unlikely and at 3-0 down on 60 mins with ten men, we can claim a hollow victory by keeping it to 3-0 and actually playing a bit better with ten men.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the official attendance was 26,714.

Celtic wouldn't have been in a position to withhold that figure as it's a split gate.

At a very conservative tenner a skull,less VAT, 26714 times £8.33 times 40% is just shy of 90 grand, with TV money and prize money on top.

A nice little earner, as the legendary Arfur used to say.