QF - Celtic v Raith Rovers

keyser_soze

Expecting the customary 4 - 0 defeat, however hopefully we predict getting enough £ to possibly bring in 1 more player before the window closes. Don't think I'll make the trip through as my last visit to Parkhead as a Raith fan wasn't particularly pleasant, the police and stewards were even more disgusting than the locals.

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

Since it’s only been 5 of 107 that ended 4-0 or 0-4,  I would suggest that 4-1 or 2-1 is much more customary.

Agreed 4-1 defeat crowd 13,000.

Unless the lack of trophies and lockdown jitters has the Celtic fans flocking back.

Who gets our goal?

1E4E7E5C-533F-4FB6-8CA1-8228F9A9460E.png

Edited by Scary Bear

I think my last trip was that 4-1 defeat in August 1996. My recollection is Celtic treated us like unwanted guests and shoved us in the enclosure at the bottom of the Main Stand in a restricted view space. We were below pitch level and then the stewards decided to congregate there too blocking our view of the pitch. 

The time I was there before that was in the League Cup in 1995. We got good seats that time. We were the League Cup holders and it took Celtic 120 mins and a Dutch international (Pierre van Hooijdonk) to beat us 2-1 in AET. Tony Rougier scored a screamer of a free kick. Think Celtic scored late in the second half of extra time when it looked like it would go to penalties. From memory there was some controversy about the winning goal too.

Edited by Scary Bear

On 17/08/2021 at 17:48, Scary Bear said:

The time I was there before that was in the League Cup in 1995. We got good seats that time. We were the League Cup holders and it took Celtic 120 mins and a Dutch international (Pierre van Hooijdonk) to beat us 2-1 in AET. Tony Rougier scored a screamer of a free kick. Think Celtic scored late in the second half of extra time when it looked like it would go to penalties. From memory there was some controversy about the winning goal too.

That game was when we put the ball out for an injury to one of our players, Simon Donnelly instead of giving the ball back,proceeded to take the throw in to another celtic player who crossed for Van Hooijdonk to score.

21 minutes ago, Toddy said:

That game was when we put the ball out for an injury to one of our players, Simon Donnelly instead of giving the ball back,proceeded to take the throw in to another celtic player who crossed for Van Hooijdonk to score.

That was it. I had it in my head it was Peter Grant who did that rather than Donnelly.

On 19/08/2021 at 18:44, Scary Bear said:

That was it. I had it in my head it was Peter Grant who did that rather than Donnelly.

Grant was down injured with cramp and Scott Thomson kicked the ball out so as to allow the trainer come on to give him treatment. 

Celtic didn't return the ball to Thomson and subsequently scored the winning goal (possibly through Simon Donnelly). 

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

Honestly, I'd be happy getting through this without injuries but that's probably a bigger ask than keeping the score below 5!

Agreed, I think we need to keep our expectations realistic here. There's always an injury. 

Safe to say that the result on Sunday did us no favours. Postecoglu hasn't exactly had the best of starts at Celtic and he'll be keen to make sure being papped out the cup by a lower league side doesn't add to that. I can imagine we'll therefore be facing a pretty strong side here, which tends to increase the already high inherent risk of us suffering a big defeat.

I have two aims for games like this, which contradict each other:

Have a go; 

Don't get thumped. 

Could be an interesting match, because I’d expect a number of changes by Celtic. Not a weakened team, but a changed team as the manager seeks impact, and sends messages. He gets it right, and we could easily ship 5+, he gets it wrong…