Fermers v Dundee United FC 22/08/21

1 hour ago, Accent-Unknown said:

I have never heard of Danny Griffin in my life.

Played for us in the early 2000s. Luggy brought him along from the Fermers IIRC.

Ian McCall got shot of him, so he was either really fucking good in comparison to McCall's shite, or not good enough for Ian McCall. :unsure:

Griffin was never the same player after a horrendous late challenge from Neil McCann one afternoon at Tynecastle. Real pity how his career panned out, as Radlford has said he was an exceptional talent when first breaking through, real class about the way he played.

Not much of a co-commentator but that's another matter.

Griffin was a superb player. Had one of the best leaps and could put more distance on a header than anyone you'll ever see. Hard as nails, and technically excellent.  Watching him drive a pass low along the ground with the laces was a masterclass in technique.

Danny would/ should have played most of his career at the very top down south.  Injury ruined it and, as mentioned, he  didn't take the right move when it was offered. Turning down a £1m move to Derby County to stay at Saints.

Christian Dailly had a brilliant career, and always seemed a good lad.  But fairly average ability wise.  One of those journeymen that achieves a lot through hard work, discipline and being 'reliable'. Speaks volumes that the most memorable thing he did in football was call Germans cheats whilst Bertie Vogts was getting interviewed.

Strange feeling not giving too much of a toss about a game against one of the Dundee teams. Probably be more up for it when we get in the ground. But it really is a matter of protecting our main players for Thursday. 

As much as it’d be more dropped league points, I’d probably take a draw in this, especially if it means a win on Thursday. 

Edited by Sh*teAndMuck

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Griffin was a superb player. Had one of the best leaps and could put more distance on a header than anyone you'll ever see. Hard as nails, and technically excellent.  Watching him drive a pass low along the ground with the laces was a masterclass in technique.

Fantastic summary. I would put him fourth in the centre backs I've seen play for us, behind Baltacha, Kernaghan and Duberry. Griffin should have reached the level those three did at their peak.

Fuck Neil McCann and all that sail in her. 

Edited by Radford

Griffin would have stood out in the modern game. Great with ball at feet. In a way I would say he was a mix of Jason Kerr and Liam Gordon from current team.

On the Utd game, we will make changes, but suspect we will not change more than 3-4. Utd will be confident and fresher, but with a few additions this week, a good chance for Utd to get them involved too. Assuming we wont have Eetu available? 

Looking forward to it. Two confident teams who will be really looking forward to this season.

Hats off to the Utd fans for selling out allocation. Hopefully they go home gutted. Will be a great atmosphere and Saints tickets selling well too.

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Christian Dailly had a brilliant career, and always seemed a good lad.  But fairly average ability wise.  One of those journeymen that achieves a lot through hard work, discipline and being 'reliable'. Speaks volumes that the most memorable thing he did in football was call Germans cheats whilst Bertie Vogts was getting interviewed.

You Johnnies are mental!

First up, the most memorable thing Dailly ever did was charge down Ally Maxwell in the 1994 Scottish Cup Final, however...

Dailly is the 9th most capped Scot of all time. Was United's youngest ever player when he made his debut. Racked up - what was at the time, might still be - a world record number of U21 caps. Could comfortably have been a good pro at pretty much every position on the park bar goalie. Cost Blackburn £5.5m way back in 1998.

Griffin's career highlight was getting signed by United where he was eventually released on a free.

7 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Hats off to the Utd fans for selling out allocation. Hopefully they go home gutted. Will be a great atmosphere and Saints tickets selling well too.

Thought I’d go on and see how the Saints tickets are selling. When you click on the page to buy tickets - PAGE NOT FOUND

That’s really helpful! 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Griffin would have stood out in the modern game. Great with ball at feet. In a way I would say he was a mix of Jason Kerr and Liam Gordon from current team.

On the Utd game, we will make changes, but suspect we will not change more than 3-4. Utd will be confident and fresher, but with a few additions this week, a good chance for Utd to get them involved too. Assuming we wont have Eetu available? 

Looking forward to it. Two confident teams who will be really looking forward to this season.

Same boat, enjoy the games with Utd.

In fairness to them, over the last decade or more, after the OF Its between them and Aberdeen who brings the biggest away support to McDiarmid.  Way more than the embarrassing efforts from the Edinburgh clubs over that period. Hearts especially used to easily be one of the biggest away supports we'd get, but that dwindled right down.

Glad to hear Saints tickets are selling well, hope the Perth public get right behind the team for this.  The European nights are great but you do miss an away support for a bit of banter. I was hoping for a crowd over 7000, might be a bit ambitious.

5 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

You Johnnies are mental!

First up, the most memorable thing Dailly ever did was charge down Ally Maxwell in the 1994 Scottish Cup Final, however...

Dailly is the 9th most capped Scot of all time. Was United's youngest ever player when he made his debut. Racked up - what was at the time, might still be - a world record number of U21 caps. Could comfortably have been a good pro at pretty much every position on the park bar goalie. Cost Blackburn £5.5m way back in 1998.

Griffin's career highlight was getting signed by United where he was eventually released on a free.

Like I said, an incredibly consistent and reliable player who deserved everything he achieved.  Being hard working is not an insult.

I was at his debut I'm pretty sure.  It was our first season back in the big league, second ever season at McDiarmid and the first ever premier league match there.   Opening game of the season, cracking sunny day and a full house. Harry Curran equalised with a screamer for us.  Alan Main got sent off for Utd, no sub goalies at the time so Mckinlay (?) went in goals. We were 2-1 down and all over Utd, then the 16 year old sub got brought on.

He broke from the half way line and scored a cracker as Utd won 3-1.

Thought I’d go on and see how the Saints tickets are selling. When you click on the page to buy tickets - PAGE NOT FOUND
That’s really helpful! 🤦🏻‍♂️

WAP saying they accidentally uploaded the link to the LASK tickets.

15 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Yeah, but other than that what did he ever do for us?*

* This post is dedicated to Life of Brian fans and the deluded/revisionist Saintees.

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Like I said, an incredibly consistent and reliable player who deserved everything he achieved.  Being hard working is not an insult.

I was at his debut I'm pretty sure.  It was our first season back in the big league, second ever season at McDiarmid and the first ever premier league match there.   Opening game of the season, cracking sunny day and a full house. Harry Curran equalised with a screamer for us.  Alan Main got sent off for Utd, no sub goalies at the time so Mckinlay (?) went in goals. We were 2-1 down and all over Utd, then the 16 year old sub got brought on.

He broke from the half way line and scored a cracker as Utd won 3-1.

Dif he not start out as a midfielder?

Utd still had a right good team at that time.

If that had been a decade earlier, Utd might have been able to hold onto the likes of Dailly, Ferguson etc and what could have been for them.

What I think Dailly was able to fo really well in his career was to be able to adapt to a changing game. As he got older and slower he was able to find a bit more space and time by being able to read the game so well and that made up for what he was loosing in his legs. Also seemed to make the right transfers at the right time. Is his son not at Utd now? Or was?