Alloa vs Queen's Park

Going a man down obviously completely changed the outlook of the game. It limited us in an attacking sense but with the back 4 of Robbo Taggart Andy and Durnan I had hopes we could weather the storm at the back.

We did well but I thought the goal we conceded was cheap and at that point it looked like QP would add to their lead and we really rode our luck as they hit the woodwork.

I admit I questioned the changes the manager made with Mendy/O'Donnell introduced and Sammon/Taggart going off. But to his credit we were better, and Mendy did well.

We didn't create too much but we got a set piece and delighted to see Boyd put it away. Might even have won it at the death.

I agree with Waspie I expected more quality from QP. So far the standard of the league I think we can compete with. In the Championship that would have been an inevitable 3 or 4 0 defeat.

Wasn't a great game to watch but after the red card the outcome was one I would have taken. But we really need to push on in the next game and build on it.

At half-time I was reflecting that the sending off was probably the last thing we wanted. Alloa had already spent long spells with 10 men behind the ball and so it turned out after the break that they were so deeply bunkered the front man was barely 25 metres from their goal line. After an extended period of being dragged sideways across the pitch the inevitable breakthrough came with a well worked and finished phase. With Alloa now having to come at us, game over and it was just a matter of how many I thought.

But no. Not today. And our continuing problem of finishing off a team struggling to get a grip of the game  is a growing worry. Problem is, I really can’t see where the improvement is coming from. It was another strong performance, dominant and in control. But a game like that should have been at least 3-0. 

23 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

At half-time I was reflecting that the sending off was probably the last thing we wanted. Alloa had already spent long spells with 10 men behind the ball and so it turned out after the break that they were so deeply bunkered the front man was barely 25 metres from their goal line. After an extended period of being dragged sideways across the pitch the inevitable breakthrough came with a well worked and finished phase. With Alloa now having to come at us, game over and it was just a matter of how many I thought.

But no. Not today. And our continuing problem of finishing off a team struggling to get a grip of the game  is a growing worry. Problem is, I really can’t see where the improvement is coming from. It was another strong performance, dominant and in control. But a game like that should have been at least 3-0. 

Have to agree, Same with East Fife, same with Bonyrigg.

That was a frustrating one. We weren’t up to the usual high standard we’ve produced this season but there’s no doubt in my mind we should’ve been leaving with 3 points. That’s our own fault though, we simply don’t take our chances when they come. Murray had a glorious opportunity at 1-0 when a back pass put him through on goal but he completely screwed up his touch. I’d imagine that this might be the sort of game which has shown Ellis that a striker and winger is a necessity to bring over the next week or so to be able to compete for the title. Motm was Charlie Fox for me, other than a shaky debut, he’s been an exceptional signing so far and thankfully we’ve not been hurt by losing Grant’s presence at the back. Just hoping Quitongo is back from injury in the near future, he really is a game changer for this team 

Really enjoyed the game yesterday. Perhaps that was mainly just being back at the football, but partly as the team was set up better and looked more solid with a back four, even if Taggs at left back was an odd one. That may have been to counteract Doyley's mad runs, but it seriously curtailed Tagg's attacking which is a big loss. Wrong decision IMO.

Clearly Howie's sending off changed the game and it was largely a case of holding out. Losing such a soft goal was a blow, but, as Father Barrys....... says, the changes made a difference and I thought we just about deserved the draw. Boyd's a frustrating player at times, but it was a top drawer free kick, That's three goals for him now.

Still not in agreement with Robbo at right back, especially when we have two defensive central midfielders, one of them plus Robbo would possibly give us a better blend and allow us to keep the ball better. 

Durnan continues to look an excellent signing. He and Andy could form a good partnership. Let's hope that is given a run.

I thought Queen's looked a good side, if lacking a bit of top quality up front. I've no doubt they will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

Edited by printer

Could almost feel the inevitability of the equaliser as we huffed and puffed at the other end. We weren’t terrible, we weren’t good either. A beige performance. Murray didn’t have a great game, but still scored. If he gets injured we’re absolutely fucked. 

15 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

If that's not the definition of denying a goalscoring opportunity on Sammon I don't know what is.

Sammon has headed the ball forward, but it isn't "obvious" (key word) that he will go on to have a chance on goal, in fact I'd say the defender is favourite to get to it first. Yellow IMO.

Oh, and it's Conor, so the little known sub-clause to that law, "the Conor Sammon exception" applies. Nothing is an obvious goal scoring opportunity when he is the attacker involved. 😉

Sammon has headed the ball forward, but it isn't "obvious" (key word) that he will go on to have a chance on goal, in fact I'd say the defender is favourite to get to it first. Yellow IMO.
Oh, and it's Conor, so the little known sub-clause to that law, "the Conor Sammon exception" applies. Nothing is an obvious goal scoring opportunity when he is the attacker involved. [emoji6]
The defender who gets to Sammon's header is the one that Sammon has already run away from. The only reason he looks favourite to get to it first is because Sammon is being confronted by the goalie rushing out to flatten him, and checks his run slightly. It's maybe not 100% a clear cut sending off but I think Queens Park certainly got lucky with decision.

1 hour ago, Dink said:
1 hour ago, printer said:
Oh, and it's Conor, so the little known sub-clause to that law, "the Conor Sammon exception" applies. Nothing is an obvious goal scoring opportunity when he is the attacker involved. emoji6.png

The defender who gets to Sammon's header is the one that Sammon has already run away from. The only reason he looks favourite to get to it first is because Sammon is being confronted by the goalie rushing out to flatten him, and checks his run slightly. It's maybe not 100% a clear cut sending off but I think Queens Park certainly got lucky with decision.

I can see what you are saying, but Sammon is second favourite because he has to challenge for the header. Still a clear yellow for me. 

Interestingly when I saw it live, I thought Sammon had fouled the goalie - which is clearly nonsense when you see the highlights.

Doyle's reaction to giving away the free kick for our goal is a cracker.

2 minutes ago, Tamhain said:

Absolutely dreadful goalkeeping for Queen's goal, if only we had a keeper on the books that commanded the box and dealt with crosses. 

Indeed.

Hutton is a decent goalie, but that's a bad error. The treatment of Parry continues to look ridiculous. Barry's explanation that he wants competition for the goal keeper's position would make more sense if big Neil were on the bench. I think he's maybe being less than honest here.

And while I'm on the manager, his comments after last week about Alloa being a team who are "used to losing" are a bit crass and frankly, incorrect. Yes, we have lost more games than we have won while in the Championship, but that's not a fair view of our recent history or the players which have been (still are) the core of the team.

Having watched the clips from yesterday Durnan is going to be a good player for us. Big Andys ageing legs and lack of pace worry me but only as the manager has a number of new CB's. Mendy is a disaster, might be a great guy but he is nowhere near Howie, Graham or Taggart in the CB role. 

Parry and Williamson sitting in the stand whilst we have Hutton (seriously at fault for goal and quite an angry wee man) and Taggart playing at LB (not a great performance but what do you expect bein played out of position), very odd. Heard a few others in the stand querying that as well!

The manager will likely stick with his new signings, he has to justify them all. Hopefully his stubborness does not come back to haunt us. I'm a big supporter of O'Donnell but didn't think he did much.

Interesting to watch and listen to several fans let the manager know their thoughts as well at the end. Do believe he invited some for a chat. Let us know what he said if you dared to challenge him.🤣

As I said yesterday delighted with a point with 10 men. That appears to be the system that suits us, perhaps with the right players in certain positions!

6 pointer already next week? 🤣

28 minutes ago, printer said:

Indeed.

Hutton is a decent goalie, but that's a bad error. The treatment of Parry continues to look ridiculous. Barry's explanation that he wants competition for the goal keeper's position would make more sense if big Neil were on the bench. I think he's maybe being less than honest here.

And while I'm on the manager, his comments after last week about Alloa being a team who are "used to losing" are a bit crass and frankly, incorrect. Yes, we have lost more games than we have won while in the Championship, but that's not a fair view of our recent history or the players which have been (still are) the core of the team.

Was thinking about this when I watched the highlights. If I remember right he made a comment that Parry would be getting his opportunity soon after seemingly getting dropped after a poor attempted clearance sealed his fate - got to look at Hutton getting beat at his near post for the East Fife goal from 30 yards, Clyde’s second goal last week, and now that shocker yesterday. Would say he’s done more than enough to earn a spell out. 

If you think Hutton is an angry wee man just wait till (if) he plays at Airdrie next week. He is seen by many Diamonds as a character and he did win a POTY but he does have weaknesses like most goalies. It looked a really competitive game on the highlights so it will be a tough game again next week.

37 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

A little bird told me he has been told he is third choice , hopefully this is not the case  .

Overheard that yesterday in the stand. He is a bit immobile but the replacements are not better keepers. That's what makes it bizarre. Wonder if there is previous history between him and the manager? 

10 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Overheard that yesterday in the stand. He is a bit immobile but the replacements are not better keepers. That's what makes it bizarre. Wonder if there is previous history between him and the manager? 

when neil is in the stand , mc,dowall on the bench and hutton on the park  it seems to be true 

the big worry is if someone makes a bid  for Neil parry he might go . it is possible if ferguson does not like him 

there may be a few clubs eyeing the situation . 

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

when neil is in the stand , mc,dowall on the bench and hutton on the park  it seems to be true 

the big worry is if someone makes a bid  for Neil parry he might go . it is possible if ferguson does not like him 

there may be a few clubs eyeing the situation . 

Frees up wages if he goes. Maybe that's the plan to force him to leave so he can sign another CB.