Stenhousemuir -vs- Cowdenbeath

It's time to preview the biggest game of the weekend: it's Stenhousemuir versus Cowdenbeath!

I suppose the most pressing concern is whether or not the match will go ahead - will Cowdenbeath have enough players available following their isolation last week? I hope all the everyone affected is fit and well and ready to go.

Providing this fixture does go ahead, I think this will be billed as (another) a must-win game for the Warriors. The team were poor against Edinburgh City on Friday night, barely creating a chance of note, and looked slow and sluggish in their approach play against one of the division's lesser lights. We need to see something far better against Cowdenbeath otherwise I foresee another struggle this season.

I'm not sure how we'll line up - as mentioned in a previous thread, we seem to change out starting XI on a game-by-game basis - but a lot of our more experienced players have to step up and pull their weight. We cannot expect Robert Thomson to do it all on his own.

- Robert Thomson - Tam Orr - Cammy Graham -

- Adam Brown - Nat Wedderburn - Ross Forbes -

- Jon Craig - Sean Crighton - Nicky Jamieson - Ross Lyon -

- Ryan Marshall -

I think we can win this but I'm fearing the worst!

All those mentioned are open apart from the Wee Bar but I had heard at the weekend it will be open for this game although I would imagine stay tuned on that one.

As for us if we can't beat Cowden at home then I'll be looking out my yokel passport for Dalbeattie next season.

Hopefully Ross Lyon is back as I don't want to see Reid at right back ever again. Cammy Graham is now at the stage he must start and be given a run in the team like others have had who are producing nothing. 

Edited by Neilly

3 hours ago, Neilly said:

All those mentioned are open apart from the Wee Bar but I had heard at the weekend it will be open for this game although I would imagine stay tuned on that one.

As for us if we can't beat Cowden at home then I'll be looking out my yokel passport for Dalbeattie next season.

Hopefully Ross Lyon is back as I don't want to see Reid at right back ever again. Cammy Graham is now at the stage he must start and be given a run in the team like others have had who are producing nothing. 

Didn't you say something like that the last time we played each other? Cowden, if all are fit, will give your gang a good game.

The board took a gamble in appointing Swift. The majority thought it was a breath of fresh air. Swift has taken a big gamble in bringing so many of his BSC players to the club.  At the moment it is not paying off for him as some of his signings, including senior players brought in, are under performing or not up to the level.  

We do not seem to have a settled team and we certainly do not put teams under pressure for extended periods of time.  We are still liable for stupid defensive errors which are costing us goals.

At the moment it is difficult to see where a win is coming from and this must change quickly or serious questions will have to be answered at the end of this quarter.  Hopefully Saturday sees the start of the revival.

18 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Didn't you say something like that the last time we played each other? Cowden, if all are fit, will give your gang a good game.

The Precious one returns. Still amazes me you can't help yourself replying to my nonsense after all these years.

A pint of your tears on Sunday will sure cure my hangover though. Yum.

3 hours ago, Neilly said:

The Precious one returns. Still amazes me you can't help yourself replying to my nonsense after all these years.

A pint of your tears on Sunday will sure cure my hangover though. Yum.

Love your nonsense. Certainly aren't getting any wiser. What's your shoe size now?

2 hours ago, big al said:

1884, some going that, 137 years.

Be great to hear stories from the older supporters of league title victories throughout the decades. 

They first joined the Scottish Football League (SFL) in 1905. The club has never won any of the major honours in Scottish football, but have won lower tier divisional titles on five occasions.

Your record is nothing to boast about either but if you want we will swap your lower tier titles for our Challenge Cup win.

Edited by Moonglum25

6 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

They first joined the Scottish Football League (SFL) in 1905. The club has never won any of the major honours in Scottish football, but have won lower tier divisional titles on five occasions.

Your record is nothing to boast about either but if you want we will swap your lower tier titles for our Challenge Cup win.

It is actually - 5 Scottish League titles for a small town side is reasonably impressive - as is Cowden's 12 years in the top flight, their 5th place top flight finish in 1924/25 and their average home crowd for League matches that season which was over 9,000.  But we don't like to boast about it - just have some pride in our history.  Oh and the 3 Cowden players capped by Scotland 

Edited by Cowden Cowboy

I remember those tears when Andy Brand smacked home the winning penalty and that's all that matters. We know that hurt them to their core and no title win will ever remove that hurt for them, nevermind the halycon days of 1924/25 and that 5th place top flight finish.🤣

Only two more sleeps until we send them back over the road without breaking sweat in what will be a comfortable home win. There will be BOLLAN OUT cries as always from the gargoyles whenever they lose one game. An emotional bunch.

See you all in the Wee Bar guys.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

I remember those tears when Andy Brand smacked home the winning penalty and that's all that matters. We know that hurt them to their core and no title win will ever remove that hurt for them, nevermind the halycon days of 1924/25 and that 5th place top flight finish.🤣

Only two more sleeps until we send them back over the road without breaking sweat in what will be a comfortable home win. There will be BOLLAN OUT cries as always from the gargoyles whenever they lose one game. An emotional bunch.

See you all in the Wee Bar guys.

Yes remember that - that’s when we were promoted anyway and then had a few years in the Championship.

It was only a few years after we blew you away in 2005/06 - just another season with silverware and a flag for us 

Stenny fans in trying to wind up cowden fans shock....

Also no sure why there is ever any mention of history as both clubs are similar however there is no doubt Cowden are more successful than stenny overall.

Let them have their "banter". Every season their fans go radio gaga over their new signings or management team. When most of them are absolute rank.

Anyhow to the game on Saturday I do believe stenny will have an advantage to be honest in that our players have not trained all week due to isolation. Plus no game last weekend when we were on a good little run of games and fitness was getting up that will be knocked back now sadly.

I do think the stenny front line could cause us issues but likewise I fancy renton and bucks to cause their backline some problems.

Tight game and wouldnt surprise me a 1-1 draw. Thomson with stenny goal and bucks cowden goal. 

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Yes remember that - that’s when we were promoted anyway and then had a few years in the Championship.

It was only a few years after we blew you away in 2005/06 - just another season with silverware and a flag for us 

Can mind leaving the Shire after midweek draw thinking that was it.  Then winning on the Sat at Stenny.  Davey Hay pulling off big save near the end from some mincer (Mercer perhaps?) and we got the 2-1 victory.  Had we won at Shire and only drew on the Sat here am i right in saying we wouldn't have won the league?  What a season. 

3 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

crying-sobbing.gif