Falkirk vs Goodwillie

On 21/08/2021 at 17:46, C. Muir said:

Falkirk must've served up some utter pish over the years if that was easily the best performance for years.

Very much so!

23 hours ago, David W said:

Yeah, I have no idea what he has seen there, probably just assuming Nicoll must have been late because he usually is. The irony is that Nicoll would quite happily have avoided a booking and had us defending a free kick there if offered.

I like to think I'm quite fair in calling out free kicks for us that are awarded when they shouldn't be, but that was an absolute stonewaller of a free kick.

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

167380968_Falkirk_30_Clyde__202122(1).gif.025e6f2c9ec70ea0e53728d99b39433b.gif

It does look like Nicol got to the ball, you're just not allowed to wipe people out while doing so nowadays though!

If that had been John Markie making that challenge in 1968 the ref would have waved play on.

I must admit to tuning out of how the rules have changed in the game over the past twenty years. No doubt things which were once allowed are now outlawed.

However, I've watched that replay umpteen times over. While it had nothing whatever to do with the result I can't think why it's a free kick.

Nicoll had been fouling Falkirk players persistently until then. That's true. But here, he comes across to the player side on and makes what a coaching book would call a block tackle (i.e. the side of his foot is used to stop the ball as it's being dribbled by the opponent).

Yes, there's force enough to knock the opponent over. But that is applied in the course of disposessing the player, not before. There are no studs showing to the player. It wasn't a tackle made from behind. And I don't follow the comments about leading with the elbow. His elbows are faced to the camera. His arms are raised as he wades in. But again, never really before the ball is taken. As for it being a red. I trust that's posted as bait. In which case you've got one...!

I imagine the referee judged that it was too forceful and dangerous for that reason. It's a pity if so because it's really difficult to play with any aggression or dig if you're penalised for everything outside of a neat interception in which there's little or no contact. And I suppose that a bigger player who generates a lot of force in the tackle will always look like he has brutalised a smaller player moving at speed from a certain angle if he goes over.

All that said. I will grant that other nine out of ten times Nicoll goes in for that, we're at risk of going down to ten.

30 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I mind Keiran Duffie charging across the pitch to make a perfect, glorious slide tackle on a breakaway forward in the left back area, only to be given a straight red. Ref said the speed was dangerous and reckless.

Courtesy of Collum versus Partick.

McGovern saved the resultant penalty thankfully.

While I remember - Wilson. Came on at 79 minutes, played 15 minutes (4 min injury time). Touched the ball twice - first touch was to head the ball straight back out of play at a throw in. Second touch was to Nesbitt in the lead up to the 3rd goal, couldn't call it an assist though. Didn't win any aerial challenges at all, made no tackles, didn't get near the ball apart from his 2 touches. 

Edited by Newbornbairn

44 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

While I remember - Wilson. Came on at 79 minutes, played 15 minutes (4 min injury time). Touched the ball twice - first touch was to head the ball straight back out of play at a throw in. Second touch was to Nesbitt in the lead up to the 3rd goal, couldn't call it an assist though. Didn't win any aerial challenges at all, made no tackles, didn't get near the ball apart from his 2 touches. 

That’s my first time seeing him and I really can’t see what he offers