Dundee FC vs St Johnstone - Quarter Final

Ludo*1

7 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Will Davidson be fine for this? Took a bad knock at the end of your game on Saturday. Obviously I hope he's not.

Sure I seen mention it was a "tweak of his back", so think he might be fine if he rests it. Not as if he need much training anyway, knows his role inside out and barely touches the ball regardless.

Big game for Dundee especially, hadn’t realised it was 2003-04 since they last made it to the semi finals of this competition, so a great opportunity to end that run. 

They narrowly lost on that occasion 1-0 to a last minute Livi penalty at Easter road, apparently in front of a crowd of 6000. Must have been a tough one to take for the sleeping giants, especially with Hibs to play in the final.

Despite my confident prediction at the start of this thread I am now going to admit that I think it could be Dundee’s night. My reasons being:

1) Dundee are due a cup semi final
2) There’s a degree of pressure on us as the cup holders
3) Leigh Griffiths. He may be a tubby wee shite but he’ll probably be the most clinical player on the pitch come Wednesday evening.

Both sides aren’t very convincing just now. Don’t think Dundee deserved to lose the derby yesterday and I think they’ll be looking to make amends. Their pishy cup record has to improve at some point and now seems like a good opportunity for them.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Despite my confident prediction at the start of this thread I am now going to admit that I think it could be Dundee’s night. My reasons being:

1) Dundee are due a cup semi final
2) There’s a degree of pressure on us as the cup holders
3) Leigh Griffiths. He may be a tubby wee shite but he’ll probably be the most clinical player on the pitch come Wednesday evening.

Both sides aren’t very convincing just now. Don’t think Dundee deserved to lose the derby yesterday and I think they’ll be looking to make amends. Their pishy cup record has to improve at some point and now seems like a good opportunity for them.

I think Dundee are looking about as strong a side as they have been for quite a few years. Great option to have Cummings to be able to come off the bench yesterday.

I doubt based on current form there is much between the sides going into this game.

As above, Griffiths can be a game changer, but then so is McGowan and Cummings and if fit, Adam is capable of finding the killer ball in behind our back 5.

Has the making of a pretty tasty cup tie.

I think Craig will start this one as this sort of game is where he brings something extra. I suspect we might see May make a start too.

Suspect it will cone down to either an act if genius or a defensive error. 

Don't think we'll f**k about much with our line up tbh, so you'd say Clark, McCart, Ambrose, Brown, Rooney, Wotherspoon are all cast iron starters. Might see Muller back in defence but we need to let a unit build back there again.

Devine v Booth at LWB isn't much different tbh, both offer different things but you're happy with both.

CM will depend on fitness, if Davidson/MacPherson/Gilmour all out then I'd want Craig, Wotherspoon and Crawford in there.

Then pick two from Kane, May, Middleton, Vertainen and MOH up front. We always look worse when Kane doesn't start these days, so I'd pick him even if he's not been great this season. May might get the nod after Saturday but we need to start Vertainen at some point to see what he's got, but then Middleton is a match winner too. I'd say MOH is bottom of the pecking order despite his performance v Rangers, completely different game this.

Assuming CMs injured are ruled out, I think...

Clark

Rooney - Brown - Ambrose - McCart - Devine

Wotherspoon - Craig - Crawford

Middleton - Kane

Is how I'd go. I think.

Edited by RandomGuy.

21 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Mental any team playing 5 at the back against Dundee, are we that dangerous?

You're irrelevant. 

We've played that system in all but 1 game since Davidson took charge, and that includes games against lower league teams like Dunfermline.

Got my ticket and looking forward to it, though fully expecting to be disappointed again. 

Hopefully McPake bins 4-3-3 as without Adam it doesn't seem to work. 4-4-2 with McMullen and McCowan giving the strikers service. If we are to go out, let's go out fighting and not with a whimper. 

I'd forgotten how much a nightmare Clark had in the game last season (until his penalty save) until I seen the highlights on the Courier article just there. Christ.