Dundee FC vs St Johnstone - Quarter Final

Ludo*1

I can see how it’s sorta dangerous but the reaction to it has all been a bit too Helen Lovejoy for me tbh. Calling a tinpot smoke bomb an “unstable explosive” etc.

Agree with this, there’s a lot of Lovejoying going on over this and the “unstable explosive” remark made me chuckle. It’s hardly unexplored ordnance found on Carnoustie Beach, it’s a pishy wee smoke bomb. That’s not me saying they aren’t potentially dangerous - as the Rangers fan incident has shown - but 99% of the time these things go off without injuring folk. The one Griffiths booted had also clearly “detonated” and was doing as the person who launched it intended, so the cries of “it cud of hurt someone!” are a bit ridiculous. Too many tears being shed for those poor FCU fans who were given their wee toy back - not enough tears for the photographers and other members of Dens Park staff who were directly in the firing line.

The FCU really don’t help themselves, if they keep carrying on like that they’ll just get their section at McDiarmid closed again. We already know that this is the kind of publicity that the club doesn’t want or tolerate.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Agree with this, there’s a lot of Lovejoying going on over this and the “unstable explosive” remark made me chuckle. It’s hardly unexplored ordnance found on Carnoustie Beach, it’s a pishy wee smoke bomb. That’s not me saying they aren’t potentially dangerous - as the Rangers fan incident has shown - but 99% of the time these things go off without injuring folk. The one Griffiths booted had also clearly “detonated” and was doing as the person who launched it intended, so the cries of “it cud of hurt someone!” are a bit ridiculous. Too many tears being shed for those poor FCU fans who were given their wee toy back - not enough tears for the photographers and other members of Dens Park staff who were directly in the firing line.

The FCU really don’t help themselves, if they keep carrying on like that they’ll just get their section at McDiarmid closed again. We already know that this is the kind of publicity that the club doesn’t want or tolerate.

Absolutely mental that you think it’s sound for a player to boot a smoke bomb into a stand of supporters. He’ll get a ban, and rightly so for acting like a complete tit. The guy is meant to be a professional ffs.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

FYI it landed about 5 rows infront of where the FCU were. And it also hit someone. Not sure you’d be saying the same if it had hit you or someone you were with! 

Absolutely mental that you think it’s sound for a player to boot a smoke bomb into a stand of supporters. He’ll get a ban, and rightly so for acting like a complete tit. The guy is meant to be a professional ffs.

I haven’t said that I think it’s sound - it isn’t. I’m just pointing out that Griffiths seems to be getting a harder time for his part in the incident than the FCU are, which I think is unfair.

He is supposed to be a professional but this is a guy who tried to get nudes from an underage lassie and was caught singing racist songs in a boozer. He should know better but he doesn’t because he’s a certified idiot - I don’t think anybody should be surprised that he would do something like this.

9 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I haven’t said that I think it’s sound - it isn’t. I’m just pointing out that Griffiths seems to be getting a harder time for his part in the incident than the FCU are, which I think is unfair.

He is supposed to be a professional but this is a guy who tried to get nudes from an underage lassie and was caught singing racist songs in a boozer. He should know better but he doesn’t because he’s a certified idiot - I don’t think anybody should be surprised that he would do something like this.

I disagree. I've not seen a single comment suggesting that bringing pyros to a game and throwing them on to the pitch is in any way acceptable. Not one. It's unbelievably stupid and reckless and could, unintentionally, injure people. 

What Griffiths did was also idiotic. Both stupid actions. I've seen far more comments in defence of kicker than the thrower.  

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

This has already been explained. The pyro shouldn’t have been there in the first place and shouldn’t have been thrown pitchside. But it’s very different situation from a young fan throwing it into an open area to it getting booted recklessly into a crowd of people. If you can’t see the difference I don’t know what to say.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I'd rather have FCU pyro fight and party compared to an American stule extravaganza with mulled wine and rewilding talk.

That's the first ban sorted for O'Boyle's when it opens in the old Nissan garage. No mulled wine for you, pal.

It’s another reason football in the UK is so dull. Flares are part of the culture in Europe even if they are illegal but generally a blind eye is turned or since there  are so many nothing can be done. Some countries are trying to make it safer with the types of flares (cold v hot), zones allowed or one off events as they see something has to be done to have them as safely in the ground as possible. 
Football is entertainment after all and being amongst the crowd when 20 odd flares are lit is pretty stunning.
 No argument that there is some danger but get pretty bored of where the arguments get to in the end. Life is meant to be lived.

14 hours ago, saint pogo said:

It’s another reason football in the UK is so dull. Flares are part of the culture in Europe even if they are illegal but generally a blind eye is turned or since there  are so many nothing can be done. Some countries are trying to make it safer with the types of flares (cold v hot), zones allowed or one off events as they see something has to be done to have them as safely in the ground as possible. 
Football is entertainment after all and being amongst the crowd when 20 odd flares are lit is pretty stunning.
 No argument that there is some danger but get pretty bored of where the arguments get to in the end. Life is meant to be lived.

Aye if a few kids get hurt what does it fucking matter?