Dundee FC vs St Johnstone - Quarter Final

Ludo*1

25 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I presume Byrne was saving himself for this game and went about absolutely smashing the whole St Johnstone team?

He's the only CM in the country you can leave unmarked in 30 yards of space, as you know he's not going forward with it.

Forget the flairs or the win, surely the biggest talking point has to be how utterly shite the pies were! If someone thew one at Griffiths and he took a bite he'd have broken both his teeth!

I was surprised just how poor Dundee were in the final third. We were not that great at all, but didn't really need to be. I actually thought one of  Dundee's best players was Anderson ? (Number 24) so was glad when he was taken off.

Thought Booth was probably our best player, but whole back line was good. What was encouraging was that within the game you could see they learnt from the few bits of slackness in the first half.

On Griffiths and the kicking of the flair, what a stupid boy. Fair enough to kick it off the park as fans shouldn't have threw it onto (empty) pitch, but that could have caused some real damage to someone. Imagine the reaction if one set of fans threw one at others, so how should it be any different for a player launching it into the crowd. Clearly he was rattled, but a guy of his experience should know better. 

Forget the flairs or the win, surely the biggest talking point has to be how utterly shite the pies were! If someone thew one at Griffiths and he took a bite he'd have broken both his teeth!
I was surprised just how poor Dundee were in the final third. We were not that great at all, but didn't really need to be. I actually thought one of  Dundee's best players was Anderson ? (Number 24) so was glad when he was taken off.
Thought Booth was probably our best player, but whole back line was good. What was encouraging was that within the game you could see they learnt from the few bits of slackness in the first half.
On Griffiths and the kicking of the flair, what a stupid boy. Fair enough to kick it off the park as fans shouldn't have threw it onto (empty) pitch, but that could have caused some real damage to someone. Imagine the reaction if one set of fans threw one at others, so how should it be any different for a player launching it into the crowd. Clearly he was rattled, but a guy of his experience should know better. 

Dunno tbh. It’s a flair at the end of the day, if it goes on the park fans should expect it to come back… feels a bit dramatic to hand wring about it. Thought it was funny him kicking it back

Dunno tbh. It’s a flair at the end of the day, if it goes on the park fans should expect it to come back… feels a bit dramatic to hand wring about it. Thought it was funny him kicking it back
I don't think that's right, If I was sitting innocently with my daughter and Griffiths booted a burning flare into her face I'd not be sitting on my hands. The c**t would be getting some legal papers through the post.

8 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

Yeah, it's hilarious watching an unstable explosive be booted into the middle of a crowd while lit.

Just banter.

9 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I thought we moved the ball about fine for the first 15-20 minutes but gave up two or three glaring chances and thankfully Clark bailed us out. After that Dundee took control for a long period but somehow stopped being quite so threatening.

Absolutely agree with this. Thought we were on for a performance in that opening spell and the chances would come but instead we just kind of drifted out of it and became too direct, with Kane getting nothing out of Ashcroft and especially Fontaine. 

We were, and generally, have no problem moving the ball slickly to create space for the wing backs or Wotherspoon but it just isn't clicking once they get into the final third. Probably a mix of poor final balls and a lack of movement but it is something that needs worked on. 

We had almost double the number of "dangerous attacks" than Dundee in the first half but created maybe two reasonable openings, and that's being generous. The quality and timing of the delivery from Dundee was much better, even if the forays forward were rarer. That's why I felt it had been such an intriguing game at half-time. 

Those figures were reversed a bit in the second half but we dropped a bit deeper and despite having more of the ball and getting into our third more, they really only had the Griffiths free kick and follow up to show for their work. That's what Saints are good at though, shutting teams out. Now just 2 open play goals conceded (in 90 mins) in our last 15 games outside of the reserves at Celtic Park.

McCart a big part of that again and Ambrose has slotted in really well. Fantastic to see the form that Clark has played himself into as well. Great to see the Booth and Wotherspoon partnership back on song too.

11 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

Wtf. If a flare* is on the side of the pitch (thrown by one individual), the fans should expect it to be booted back into the crowd?! We saw with the Rangers fan who blew his own hand off that these can be unstable, (I’d imagine especially if booted). Fucking dangerous thing to do, especially with kids and pensioners in the crowd. Launching into an open space on/near the pitch, whilst stupid, isn’t comparable whatsoever.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

19 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Wtf. If a flair is on the side of the pitch (thrown by one individual), the fans should expect it to be booted back into the crowd?! We saw with the Rangers fan who blew his own hand off that these can be unstable, (I’d imagine especially if booted). Fucking dangerous thing to do, especially with kids and pensioners in the crowd. Launching into an open space on/near the pitch, whilst stupid, isn’t comparable whatsoever.

In my much younger days I was at a gig where the singer (I think) lobbed a bottle that had been thrown on to the stage back into the crowd and it cracked the skull of a girl that never even saw it coming. I don't remember thinking that she deserved it because she happened to be in the same crowd as the person that threw it on to the stage in the first place. 

10 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

I think had he just kicked it or made some sort of gesture it would have been funny, but he could have done some real damage if that connected with someone.

I personally love it when players give it back to fans, its what makes the game great. Guys like Chick Charnley and McCoist used to do it all the time and everyone knew the score, but booting it at full force knowingly into the crowd is scummy. Equally if a fan threw a flair at a player it would be scummy, but this was (and still not excusable) thrown onto an empty pitch.

I think what sympathy folk had for his problems has long been overtaken by the reality of him just bring a total twat, who has cocked up his own future.

On the actual game, if Dundee could have taken their chances we could have been 2-3 down at half time. Sort of felt like when we scored the first, Dundee mentally defeated themselves a bit. Glad they stuck McGowan out wide as he is a better player centrally. Not sure Fontaine is quite cut-out at this level either. Looked a bit much for him at times. 

Griffiths obviously shouldn’t have kicked it into the crowd but the absolute knicker wetting state folk are getting into over this is embarrassing. Tbf to Griffiths, it was his best strike all night because he managed to punt it straight back to the FCU as opposed to other Saints fans. Flares are shite anyway, not sure why the FCU are so obsessed with them.

The other thing is, Griffiths is getting a hard time here for kicking it back. I think we aren’t giving the FCU a hard enough time for throwing a potentially dangerous firework onto the pitch - putting the ballboys, photographers, players, stewards and other supporters at risk of serious injury.

4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The other thing is, Griffiths is getting a hard time here for kicking it back. I think we aren’t giving the FCU a hard enough time for throwing a potentially dangerous firework onto the pitch - putting the ballboys, photographers, players, stewards and other supporters at risk of serious injury.

This. 

Hope you horse The Rainjurz or whoever in the next round. 

There was a whole squad of them (that were for some reason dressed like some sort of terrorist/Blues Brothers hybrid) got made to stand up against the wall before being allowed into the ground.

Yes, it's obviously not clever taking in potentially dangerous pyro but at the same time, the stewards clearly did a half arsed job of searching folk.

Whoever took it in and threw it onto the park = flump

Griffiths booting it into the stand = flump

No need for him to run all the way over to do that. A quick shout to a steward and they could have moved it off the grass.

16 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:
40 minutes ago, Denspark1893 said:
It Is a "flare".... fucking morons

It's a smoke bomb m9.

It was actually "smoke generator" according to the mealy moothed and biscuit ersed statement from the Dees.

https://dundeefc.co.uk/news/statement-from-club-and-leigh-griffiths/