Dundee FC vs St Johnstone - Quarter Final

Ludo*1

Just now, Shadow Play said:

I think we did repeatedy play long diagonal balls to the edge of the box on Sunday (Kerr and Marshall). I never said anything about Legzdins. 

On Sunday all we did was go long, I think we tried to mix it up tonight so don’t agree that he’s not changing - you can tell he looked at Sunday and changed it today. In fact if anything I thought tonight we tried to play out too much even when it wasn’t on.

9 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

1. We were worse when we went to a 4-4-2.

2. Cummings is ill. Terrible shout. When fit I’m sure he’ll come back in.

3. Good thing he didn’t listen to this advice tail end of last season we’d probably still be in the championship.

4. Kerr was fine on Sunday and bar the second goal tonight solid again. Yep at fault for the second thoigh so I will give you that.

5. We miss Adam. Byrne is the ball winner, McGhee is the legs and Anderson is good but has no final ball. We need Adam back in and we’ll be fine. Scoring goals was no issue when Adam was in the side.

6. McPake is out his depth.

7. Griffiths is done.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

1. When we were already a goal down? Sound.

2. Ah, was Cummings ill when he came off the bench the previous 2 games as if you read properly you'll have noted my point wasn't just based on tonight.

3. Aye, because Premiership is just as easy as the Championship. Good point well made.

4. No, he wasn't.

5. So you're admitting that McPake doesn't have a clue without 1 single player being available? 

We were the only team who looked like scoring until they got the corner they eventually scored from. Anyone who says they wouldn’t have started Griffiths against Livi is a liar and I think most folk would have started him against United. We’ll agree to disagree on Kerr then and I’ve been one of his biggest critics. And number 5 I didn’t say that.

I thought we moved the ball about fine for the first 15-20 minutes but gave up two or three glaring chances and thankfully Clark bailed us out. After that Dundee took control for a long period but somehow stopped being quite so threatening. Thought their 24 (Anderson?) had a great game.

For us Middleton couldn’t get close to the game and as soon as he was replaced by May you saw a huge difference and that’s when the game turned. Thought our second was a superb move that starts in our own corner with Ambrose showing tremendous composure when most other players would have just emptied it for a throw in. He played us out of danger and that got us moving down the left. Thought Ambrose was superb throughout.

Griffiths was absolutely pish btw. And I’d be surprised if running half the length of the park to boot that pyro into the crowd doesn’t come back to bite him on the arse. Completely needless - though by far his best strike of the night.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

7 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

We were the only team who looked like scoring until they got the corner they eventually scored from. Anyone who says they wouldn’t have started Griffiths against Livi is a liar and I think most folk would have started him against United. We’ll agree to disagree on Kerr then and I’ve been one of his biggest critics. And number 5 I didn’t say that.

If you think scoring 0 in 4 games and not winning a game in 7 is not the fault of the manager then there's something far wrong.

The last 3 games have been almost identical in how they've played out.

Across Griffiths, Sheridan and Cummings Dundee must be spending a fair chunk of money for very few goals.

A lot of the analysis from the Aberdeen game applicable here - really poor on the ball but defending well as a team gives you a chance. Thought saints relaxed a bit after getting ahead and the second comes from one of the few times we work the ball out well from the back. Hopefully the performances will be a more joined together once we have more options in the middle of the pitch - which should give us more options higher up too.

May was good again from the bench and probably feels a little hard done by. Middleton isn't as effective as one of the two in a 5-3-2 as he is wide or in the number 10 role - but there has been few bad performances from him. MoH looked very comfortable again filling in a RWB.
We could have Messi and Ronaldo up front and they'd struggle to score with that service.

Oh dear Dundee. We were dreadful, but they didn’t get near us. Lot of money piled on strikers like Griffiths for that kind of performance, would be worried if I was a Dee… feels a bit admin-y.

For us, these kind of ties against lesser teams are all about getting through at whatever cost. Nice to have another semi to look forward to.

Says a lot that we don't need to play anywhere near our best to dispatch the bobbins teams in our league these days, and that's us with an injury riddled squad with a handful of new players.

Always defensively solid, Dundee had a few headed chances in the first half but they didn't seem anything more than standard saves for Clark. Aside from that there was absolutely nothing apart from 100 passes along the backline and Byrne. Griffiths is quite clearly done mentally, his head was gone with the abuse he was getting in the warm up, so they rely on Paul McMullen, who is even more predictable, with even less end product, than O'Halloran. 

Still issues for us on the ball and attack, but when it clicks it fucking clicks. Plenty of options to come on and change the game now from the bench which is a vital thing to have. Wotherspoon chopping McGowan about 10 times in a row just beautiful tbh, thought he had a great game, which led to Booth also having a great game. His role in the 2nd becoming his trademark, thankfully Cammy Kerr is a soft wee shitebag though.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Says a lot that we don't need to play anywhere near our best to dispatch the bobbins teams in our league these days, and that's us with an injury riddled squad with a handful of new players.

Always defensively solid, Dundee had a few headed chances in the first half but they didn't seem anything more than standard saves for Clark. Aside from that there was absolutely nothing apart from 100 passes along the backline and Byrne. Griffiths is quite clearly done mentally, his head was gone with the abuse he was getting in the warm up, so they rely on Paul McMullen, who is even more predictable, with even less end product, than O'Halloran. 

Still issues for us on the ball and attack, but when it clicks it fucking clicks. Plenty of options to come on and change the game now from the bench which is a vital thing to have. Wotherspoon chopping McGowan about 10 times in a row just beautiful tbh, thought he had a great game, which led to Booth also having a great game. His role in the 2nd becoming his trademark, thankfully Cammy Kerr is a soft wee shitebag though.

Agree with the first and last paragraphs. The middle is utter shite though. We created guilt edged chances and the only reason they were standard saves is because they were utterly squandered and bad misses particularly McGhee's header which was a free header from 6 yards roughly.

15 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Oh dear Dundee. We were dreadful, but they didn’t get near us. Lot of money piled on strikers like Griffiths for that kind of performance, would be worried if I was a Dee… feels a bit admin-y.

For us, these kind of ties against lesser teams are all about getting through at whatever cost. Nice to have another semi to look forward to.

How much of his wage are Dundee actually paying?

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Agree with the first and last paragraphs. The middle is utter shite though. We created guilt edged chances and the only reason they were standard saves is because they were utterly squandered and bad misses particularly McGhee's header which was a free header from 6 yards roughly.

Criminal that they were missed...

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'll admit I've no perspective of how close the headed chances were in the 1st half due to my seat, but Clark never seemed overly stretched to get them from where I sat.

Just our sort of usual defensive performance. Most bog standard Scottish sides become completely reliant on set plays and crosses. Incredible we've maintained that while losing Kerr and Gordon, and having to play Rooney our of position.

What is actually wrong with Dundee FC? Genuinely believed tonight that they would break their quarter final hoodoo. They had 3 glorious chances, each saved by Zander who kept us in the game at that stage. I thought Dundee would surely make the breakthrough at some point. We lose Brown for the second half and I thought a Dundee goal had to be coming. Alas it did not happen for them. A big opportunity missed for the Dees IMO but the Saints go marching on. Away support was decent and noisy. Griffiths kicking pyro off the pitch was great fun to watch. Pure frustration boiling over.