Afghanistan Crisis

3 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

Now if Afghanistan had masses of oil reserves. and pipelines.

Not sure if that's a joke but it does, during the occupation by the US/Nato, western companies were given the go ahead to prospect for oil in the Northern part of the country, specifically the amu-darya and afghan-tajik basins. Both of these were reportedly holding up to 2 billion barrels of crude oil alone.

If you check back to my post on this thread to where I included two videos from The Capsian Report, the bottom of those two shows that Afghanistan has considerable other resources.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

As a military man you could go and be an instructor

Imagine trying to explain in 10 years how Johnston beat Stewart to the Tory leadership.

Rory Stewart is only gutted he'll never get the opportunity to be the Viceroy of Afghanistan the weird freak.

33 minutes ago, Ric said:

Not sure if that's a joke but it does, during the occupation by the US/Nato, western companies were given the go ahead to prospect for oil in the Northern part of the country, specifically the amu-darya and afghan-tajik basins. Both of these were reportedly holding up to 2 billion barrels of crude oil alone.

If you check back to my post on this thread to where I included two videos from The Capsian Report, the bottom of those two shows that Afghanistan has considerable other resources.

I knew they had oil reserves, I knew of the now familiar cut-up of other lands but it obviously wasn't developed.

If the areas oil industry had been massively developed, no one would have left..

I just quoted an old saying about the wests interest in any country or area, most commonly quoted about some states in Africa.

Edited to add this : HERE an old post on the SLATE website 

Edited by Bob in Denny

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

If the Taliban can take over the entire country in a matter of weeks they obviously have some popular support. The western media never acknowledges that foreign occupation is massively unpopular and two decades of occupation drives extremism. 

This is obviously bad news for the people who collaborated with the occupiers but it's difficult to have any sympathy with them.  

Wow. If I understand this properly this is one of the worst posts I have seen on any messageboard.  How do you define a collaborator because I am pretty sure the Taliban  consider it anyone who doesn’t live under 7th century Sharia law.?  The stories about how the Uk are treating interpreters ( or collaborators as the Taliban would call them) are heartbreaking.   What are your views on the women who took the chance to live a modern life - do they deserve the stoning they will get.?

Will give you a chance to clarify but your lack of sympathy doesn’t speak well of you. 

1 minute ago, HK Hibee said:

Wow. If I understand this properly this is one of the worst posts I have seen on any messageboard. 

If it's worth anything I addressed their response earlier in this thread.

1 hour ago, Proposition Joe said:

When the Soviets left, it took the heavily CIA backed mujahideen and Taleban 3 years of civil war to gain power.

The US trained Afghan army has folded like a cheap deckchair in about 3 days.

The secularist portion of the Afghan population was pretty much obliterated by the CIA backed mujahideen so who exactly were Bush and Blair allied with twenty years ago? Various drug lords and non-Pashtun war criminals that were basically only in it for the money. A bit like the second Iraq war and the Libyan and Syrian civil wars that followed a simplistic narrative was concocted for the western news media that didn't have much to do with what was actually happening on the ground.

1 hour ago, HK Hibee said:

Wow. If I understand this properly this is one of the worst posts I have seen on any messageboard.  How do you define a collaborator because I am pretty sure the Taliban  consider it anyone who doesn’t live under 7th century Sharia law.?  The stories about how the Uk are treating interpreters ( or collaborators as the Taliban would call them) are heartbreaking.   What are your views on the women who took the chance to live a modern life - do they deserve the stoning they will get.?

Will give you a chance to clarify but your lack of sympathy doesn’t speak well of you. 

It's the same definition in Afghanistan today as it was in Belarus, Holland or France in 1945. 

He's an attention-seeking nutjob. Either ignore, or laugh at, and move on.