Afghanistan Crisis

Detournement you lost the right to be taken seriously when, if not long before, you tried to suggest that the CIA, rather than ISIS-K, detonated an explosive device at the airport “to keep the war going”.

Edited by Ad Lib

3 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Detournement you lost the right to be taken seriously when, if not long before, you tried to suggest that the CIA, rather than ISIS-K, detonated an explosive device at the airport “to keep the war going”.

He lost that right a while ago for me when he was promoting the Great Replacement Theory.

7 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He lost that right a while ago for me when he was promoting the Great Replacement Theory.

I assumed pretty much everyone just laughed at his attention-seeking tinfoil hat pish nowadays anyway. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Can’t say I saw that particular minter of a moment (haven’t paid much attention to anything he’s said since Anthony C Pick gate) but I did say “if not long before” for a reason and covering my bases was it.

23 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Can’t say I saw that particular minter of a moment (haven’t paid much attention to anything he’s said since Anthony C Pick gate) but I did say “if not long before” for a reason and covering my bases was it.

I honestly don't know if he's doing some performance art experiment like his username would suggest, or if he's sincere, but either way he's best ignored. Noticed he said that Claire Fox works for MI6 recently, no idea what that was about, thought he'd be a fan.

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

If their parents support forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people then sure I know a lot better than them.

As far as I understand it, these two children are reported civilian casualties as a result of a targeted drone strike which sought to kill those who perpetrated the suicide bombing outside Kabul’s airport.

The difference between this incident and that one is that NATO operations are usually designed to minimise civilian casualties. Those of Islamic fundamentalists are often designed to maximise them.

But by all means, continue to engage in intellectually vacuous moral equivalence.

Did their parents support forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people?

Can you prove that the specific, actual parents of these particular kids support forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people?

Your response seems to suggest that the killing of these children is justified because their parents may have supported forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people. Or they may not have, but hey ho?

Or maybe that the neighbours of their parents support forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people.

It's good that you care about the forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people, but it does not justify the killing of children.

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

ISIS-K like many jihadi groups have links to the CIA and are very closely connected to the Afghan intelligence who brought them into the country to fight the Taliban. 

Weirdly I'm not surprised that two wee boys being killed for no reason at all didn't penetrate your idiotic smugness. 

Edited by Detournement

21 minutes ago, Shipa said:

Did their parents support forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people?

I don’t know. But it would be pretty stupid to ask me if I think I know better than them if not for that reason given that was literally the context in which I said I knew better than people who are in favour of those things.

Can you prove that the specific, actual parents of these particular kids support forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people?

No, and if you weren’t incredibly fucking dense you’d realise from the context I wasn’t suggesting that. I was pointing out how much of a non sequitur the resident conspiracy theorist’s question/point was.

Your response seems to suggest that the killing of these children is justified because their parents may have supported forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people. Or they may not have, but hey ho?

No, that wasn’t even remotely what I was suggesting. You’d have to be a complete and utter cretin to think that’s what I was saying.

My point, since you clearly can’t grasp it from context is that saying “look these Afghan kids died how can you know better than their Muslim parents” is a cretinous and incoherent sentiment. There is no inconsistency between, on the one hand, saying that I personally know better than Islamic extremists and, on the other, not endorsing every civilian casualty caused by American military intervention.

Just as you can say you know better than Hitler without having to defend the approach taken to bombing Dresden.

Or maybe that the neighbours of their parents support forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people.

It's good that you care about the forced marriage, the marital rape of women and girls, the flogging and beating of women and girls out the house without a minder and the systematic extermination of LGBT people, but it does not justify the killing of children.

I agree with you.

My point is simply that the mere fact civilian casualties happen during war is not a reason why wars should never be fought. And we shouldn’t be drawing a moral equivalence between people who proactively seek to maximise civilian casualties (like ISIS) and those who at best actively seek to minimise civilian casualties and at worst are negligent as to the number of civilian casualties when pursuing military targets (the general conduct of NATO).

The US drone strikes serve no military, strategic or tactical purpose. They don't degrade ISIS fighting capability and in fact are more likely to increase it. They are purely a political move to persuade Americans that something is being done. Killing people to boost domestic political popularity is indefensible.

Seeing the footage of the aftermath of the drone strike, there's barely room to swing a cat between all the houses in those streets. You'd have to be an absolutely awful piece of shit of an excuse for a human being to even think about dropping explosives into an area like that. 

I mean, there must literally have been conversation before this happened where someone pointed this out and someone else said I don't give a f**k, do it anyway. Utter scum.

15 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Seeing the footage of the aftermath of the drone strike, there's barely room to swing a cat between all the houses in those streets. You'd have to be an absolutely awful piece of shit of an excuse for a human being to even think about dropping explosives into an area like that. 

I mean, there must literally have been conversation before this happened where someone pointed this out and someone else said I don't give a f**k, do it anyway. Utter scum.

A few ears ago I read about the US developing a non explosive kinetic only version of the hellfire, like a laser guided rocket powered spear, specifically to avoid this sort of thing. As you say inexcusable especially if they have these available. Maybe they stopped development, can't find anything more recent on it. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/secret-u-s-missile-aims-to-kill-only-terrorists-not-nearby-civilians-11557403411

Sometimes war is an intelligence and numbers game.  'Do we destroy this target and possibly kill an estimated ten innocents. Or leave the target alone and they'll possibly kill an estimated one hundred.' 

Spending millions on a sword/missle shows the US 'care' a bit.

EmYO9QyW4AAsSBc.png

How much do the missiles from the drones cost? 

I would be surprised if there was much in it in terms of cost effectiveness between a small presence and a drone strike event month to disrupt ISIS

20 minutes ago, 101 said:

How much do the missiles from the drones cost? 

I would be surprised if there was much in it in terms of cost effectiveness between a small presence and a drone strike event month to disrupt ISIS

The model above is $150 grand per unit

16 minutes ago, 101 said:

Fucking hell, be cheaper having a few Tommy's running about.

Yep - I thought it was a mistake and checked a few similar devices and they are all coming in at around $150K.  They are pretty sizable though, bigger than I thought.