Annan Ath v The Binos

11 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

Annan must have one the smallest budgets in the league yet won 3-0 at Stranraer and 3-1 against us. Clearly their manager — unlike ours — knows how to get the best out of the players at his disposal. 

For all that Cove, QP, Kelty's push out of this league gets the attention, it is surely Arbroath and Montrose that are the more interesting model: teams that were stuck languishing towards the foot of this division but were then propelled upwards by decent management.

10 minutes ago, Ally_D said:

For all that Cove, QP, Kelty's push out of this league gets the attention, it is surely Arbroath and Montrose that are the more interesting model: teams that were stuck languishing towards the foot of this division but were then propelled upwards by decent management.

Correct. They are the models and examples we in this Division should all be looking at.

That’s us won one of our last 6 league games stretching back into last season. Manager has had a few years now, he’s had decent money to spend and we’re nowhere near as good as we should be.

The decision to get rid of Binnie and keep Currie was baffling to most in the summer. By now it looks downright daft. 

Annan must have one the smallest budgets in the league yet won 3-0 at Stranraer and 3-1 against us. Clearly their manager — unlike ours — knows how to get the best out of the players at his disposal. 

I honestly don’t think KR is aware of the unhappiness that a large section of the support have for his management. He certainly appears to be a likeable guy publicly, and he is a very hard worker who puts in countless amounts of hours according to Stuart Brown and he is the kind of person that we would all like to see do well and succeed, just like Greg McDonald, Stuart McLaren and Dave Mackay before him. All the signs point to him being a success but it’s simply not happening for him here and the early signs are already that this is going to be another damp squib of a season, despite all the right things been said by the manager and him actually having a lot of good players at this level.

8 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I honestly don’t think KR is aware of the unhappiness that a large section of the support have for his management. He certainly appears to be a likeable guy publicly, and he is a very hard worker who puts in countless amounts of hours according to Stuart Brown and he is the kind of person that we would all like to see do well and succeed, just like Greg McDonald, Stuart McLaren and Dave Mackay before him. All the signs point to him being a success but it’s simply not happening for him here and the early signs are already that this is going to be another damp squib of a season, despite all the right things been said by the manager and him actually having a lot of good players at this level.

There is discontent amongst fans but many are great at hiding behind a keyboard and posting their views on facers. A board meeting after the season was finished was organised during the summer and you'd be lucky if there were 30-35 fans in attendance. I feel like if another board meeting/manager meeting was organised, the same fans who are cheesed off wouldn't have the balls to air their views.

I like the manager and want it to work out for him. I've not been able to attend the last couple of games but feedback hasn't been great. I don't really have a problem with anyone on the board. Once again, they have backed the manager with a good playing budget and IMO good signings but the last two games have been disappointing. We need a good performance against Stranraer. 

Regarding the players, Paul Mclean getting injured was a huge blow. Mcgregor is brilliant at this level but needs a solid defensive partner. Comfortable with the midfield and the likes of Mackin, Carrick, Bikey and Heaver will get goals if they are played in right position/formation and the latter two are actually given a reasonable opportunity. One thing the manager needs to improve on is substitutes. Giving players 5-10 minutes isn't enough time for them to make a difference. It's fine on occasion but seems to be a regular occurrence.

Sorry for the boring message Annan fans and well done on the win and 3 points.

No rubbing it in but that was probably worst Stirling team we've seen.

4 ex Annan players too ( mcniff,Flanagan,omar,currie) couldn't get us promoted ,don't think they'll do any better for u too.

Big fat guy up front too,probably a player in his  day but struggle to catch  late bus.

View from the terraces podcast or whatever its called- boys were worried about Annan  !

Typical central belt bias.

15 hours ago, dave_binos said:

There is discontent amongst fans but many are great at hiding behind a keyboard and posting their views on facers. A board meeting after the season was finished was organised during the summer and you'd be lucky if there were 30-35 fans in attendance. I feel like if another board meeting/manager meeting was organised, the same fans who are cheesed off wouldn't have the balls to air their views.

I like the manager and want it to work out for him. I've not been able to attend the last couple of games but feedback hasn't been great. I don't really have a problem with anyone on the board. Once again, they have backed the manager with a good playing budget and IMO good signings but the last two games have been disappointing. We need a good performance against Stranraer. 

Regarding the players, Paul Mclean getting injured was a huge blow. Mcgregor is brilliant at this level but needs a solid defensive partner. Comfortable with the midfield and the likes of Mackin, Carrick, Bikey and Heaver will get goals if they are played in right position/formation and the latter two are actually given a reasonable opportunity. One thing the manager needs to improve on is substitutes. Giving players 5-10 minutes isn't enough time for them to make a difference. It's fine on occasion but seems to be a regular occurrence.

Sorry for the boring message Annan fans and well done on the win and 3 points.

Very interesting that you think a Meet the Board/Manager meeting makes everything all right. This is a typical management ploy.

When in a hole you can either keep digging or you confront the issue.

You set up a meeting, you set the agenda, you know the difficult questions that are coming your way. You pack the audience with your supporters. Objectors are made to look foolish. That gets you off the hook, you have consulted and then you move on, nothing to see here.

I dont get to many games but I have managed 2 this year and saw good things.  I did watch them on the streaming channel last year and would agree that McLean is a sore loss but who builds a team around an injury prone defender. Surely you have someone in reserve as cover, is Banner not good enough? I see he was on the bench on Saturday. If he hasnt spent his budget and he dosent see Banner as the solution, then he needs to get cover in and fast.

Its far too early in the season to be calling for the manager to resign. Just think of the pressure he will be underand and i beleive it showed in the post match intercview, blaming the players is not helpful.

The Board decided to extend the managers contract towards the end of last season so it would be a poor show if they sacked him this early in the season. Should they have extended his contract? Thats another story.

Very interesting that you think a Meet the Board/Manager meeting makes everything all right. This is a typical management ploy.
When in a hole you can either keep digging or you confront the issue.
You set up a meeting, you set the agenda, you know the difficult questions that are coming your way. You pack the audience with your supporters. Objectors are made to look foolish. That gets you off the hook, you have consulted and then you move on, nothing to see here.
I dont get to many games but I have managed 2 this year and saw good things.  I did watch them on the streaming channel last year and would agree that McLean is a sore loss but who builds a team around an injury prone defender. Surely you have someone in reserve as cover, is Banner not good enough? I see he was on the bench on Saturday. If he hasnt spent his budget and he dosent see Banner as the solution, then he needs to get cover in and fast.
Its far too early in the season to be calling for the manager to resign. Just think of the pressure he will be underand and i beleive it showed in the post match intercview, blaming the players is not helpful.
The Board decided to extend the managers contract towards the end of last season so it would be a poor show if they sacked him this early in the season. Should they have extended his contract? Thats another story.

I tend to agree with a lot of what you say. The bottom line is since the resumption of football last season we have performed poorly with the exception of the Premier Sports Cup games when we surprised ourselves in what we achieved. Our home form last year cost us a place in the playoffs last year and I thought KR should not have been given another contract. The writing was on the wall then as to whether he is the man to get us promoted.
Clearly the injury to Paul McLean did not help and the loss of Andy Ryan before the start of the season again did not help us but it’s the managers job to make sure he has the tools to get the job done. He should have been looking for an experienced Central Defender imo and another striker for the No 9 spot to compete with Mackin but so far he has failed to do so. Regarding Banner don’t think he is the answer and that’s probably why he stayed on the bench.
Too early to call for the managers head ? I think the next couple of games will decide that. The home game with Albion Rovers is a must win game for him. Failure to get the 3 points at home will only get the fans more on his back.

5 hours ago, rhliston said:

Too early to call for the managers head ?

If we’d just hired him 2 months ago then yes, but he failed last season as well. We had Andy Ryan and still managed to finish as the 6th worst team in the SPFL. People were very angry at that point. He doesn’t have a bank of goodwill to buy him some time with fans. 

My concern is the board — who I suspect aren’t anywhere near as decisive or clinical enough on footballing matters — will wait until the season is shot and then make a change. 

Clearly the injury to Paul McLean did not help and the loss of Andy Ryan before the start of the season again did not help us but it’s the managers job to make sure he has the tools to get the job done.

And the tools to get the job done certainly isn’t Dylan Mackin. It’s been mentioned by an Annan supporter above but it’s embarrassing, in this day and age, to see a striker in the senior leagues look as out of shape and as unfit as he does. He gets bigger and more immobile as time goes on, and makes a mockery of Part Time players that look after themselves on par with Full Time ones, if not better.

Fine, get players to play off a Target Man if you want to adopt those tactics, but let’s get a Target Man that’s not blowing out his backside in the First Half.

Guest mr_malcolm

And the tools to get the job done certainly isn’t Dylan Mackin. It’s been mentioned by an Annan supporter above but it’s embarrassing, in this day and age, to see a striker in the senior leagues look as out of shape and as unfit as he does. He gets bigger and more immobile as time goes on, and makes a mockery of Part Time players that look after themselves on par with Full Time ones, if not better.

Fine, gets players to play off a Target Man, but let’s get a Target Man that’s not blowing out his backside in the First Half.

I see your Dylan mackie and raise you Steven Doris

What you have to remember is the game before the Annan game was against the overwhelming league favourites, and for the Annan game, we were without Paul McLean, Marc Laird and Jack Leitch, three key players. Add to this that Andy Ryan hasn't really been replaced (Carrick looks more a creator than a finisher to me), and you can see why we've struggled. Far too early to get the knives out for the manager. 33 games to go, if we get key players back fit, and maybe make another signing or two (chairman said money from Ryan sale WILL go towards at least one new player), then we should be fine to make the playoffs. We're never catching Kelty. 

That said, he's already made some concerning team selections, both in personnel and tactics, and that definitely needs to improve. 

Fine, get players to play off a Target Man if you want to adopt those tactics, but let’s get a Target Man that’s not blowing out his backside in the First Half.

Mackin is a good player but as you say for a guy who was not that long ago playing in the Championship he has really let himself go.
Surely KR can see this but he still picks him. Clearly bringing in another striker who can play the No 9 role and is a bit more mobile must be a priority just now you would think.

If we’d just hired him 2 months ago then yes, but he failed last season as well. We had Andy Ryan and still managed to finish as the 6th worst team in the SPFL. People were very angry at that point. He doesn’t have a bank of goodwill to buy him some time with fans. 

My concern is the board — who I suspect aren’t anywhere near as decisive or clinical enough on footballing matters — will wait until the season is shot and then make a change. 

I wouldn’t put it past our Board to think or do that but if we cannot get a win against Stirling Albion Reserves sorry Albion Rovers at Forthbank then I feel fan pressure will make the Board act a lot sooner. Should have never imo been given another contract after last seasons failure not to get to playoffs but thats our Board for you, how many times have they got it wrong and have fired managers a few months into season.

15 hours ago, rhliston said:

From my recollection of Steven Doris when he played for us he was no where near as big as Mackin is, unless he has let himself go.

Both are sylph like figures alongside the Mark Yardley of yesteryear.

Guest mr_malcolm
I decided to take this game in as id never done a game at Annan.
Cracking little ground and an enjoyable game.
Possibly the best small ground in the country.

Behave