Crowds

From watching a few of the videos and reading the general chat the early signs are that fans are back in good numbers. 

I was concerned that people might have fallen out of the habit and drifted away but there seems to be a renewed enthusiasm this season. 

Is this an accurate take? 

which makes you wonder about the pyramid system , as whoever wins the league and play offs will see their crowds drop like a stone , even talbot who had around 600 at a wednesday night game  which is brilliant , if that was at home to caledonian braves and no disrespect to them there would be half that at the game , or even in the league above that lets take albion rovers as an example again there would be around the same mark , being licensed having a scottish cup run and finishing 2nd would be a great season for the club treasurers imo 

17 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

which makes you wonder about the pyramid system , as whoever wins the league and play offs will see their crowds drop like a stone , even talbot who had around 600 at a wednesday night game  which is brilliant , if that was at home to caledonian braves and no disrespect to them there would be half that at the game , or even in the league above that lets take albion rovers as an example again there would be around the same mark , being licensed having a scottish cup run and finishing 2nd would be a great season for the club treasurers imo 

Clubs that have ended up in the Lowland League that have decent supports have actually maintained them. If you can't get 400-500+ against the likes of Caledonian Braves and Broomhill. It's probably because you don't have 400-500+ fans.

20 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Surely the priority for all clubs is to maximise their home support. Any and all initiatives should be employed to achieve this aim.

Having a healthy home support is to my mind vital for growing and running a club. I would suggest Talbot are one club who are very successful in doing just that. Hopefully Darvel are doing exactly the same.

i also reckon that the lure of club licencing which has resulted in the improvement of the facilities being provided is another help in bringing in new / back lapsed fans.

Visiting supporters should be the cream going into the club coffers

Edited by VodkaTap

48 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Bonnyrigg got 506 against Broomhill on Tuesday 27th July, so it can be done whoever the opposition is.

Unless it was a rescheduled game you would be playing Albion Rovers on a Saturday if you were in League 2.

Though you could also be playing next season with Shotts, Gartcairn, and Drumchapel as the three promoted teams - are they going to be bringing lots of support to Ayrshire or would your fans turn out to watch them on a Wednesday night?

Edited by Ginaro

1 hour ago, VodkaTap said:

Surely the priority for all clubs is to maximise their home support. Any and all initiatives should be employed to achieve this aim.

Having a healthy home support is to my mind vital for growing and running a club. I would suggest Talbot are one club who are very successful in doing just that. Hopefully Darvel are doing exactly the same.

i also reckon that the lure of club licencing which has resulted in the improvement of the facilities being provided is another help in bringing in new / back lapsed fans.

from darvels perspective 300 would be the max they will have at home games , the odd game like the rossvale game where rangers ,killie and celtic werent playing , a new ground , and no one had seen football for 18 months then it would be slightly more than that , but pollok , talbot , clydebank , the buffs would provide far bigger crowds than lowland , league 2 and possibly league 1 teams would bring to the table , i get the other boy saying bonnyrigg had over 500 which is great against broomhill but a lot of teams wont have that 

Think there has very much been a bounce for Clydebank with the exceptional performance, curiosity around the wosl (seen some folks who used to come in our previous senior days who stopped going in the juniors coming back) and young fans from the academy etc coming along to games. I hope we can keep a hold of these folks. 
Crowd figures at higher levels are massaged like mad to give clubs the impression that they had more at the game than actually there, I know of at least 2 spfl clubs who did things like either completely make up the figure, or increased it by counting the staff present at the game/stewards/pie stall girls/ballboys and other non paying folks amongst the crowd figures. 
I know that teams like Lok, Talbot, Us and a good few others attract crowds that would dwarf LL teams quite easily, in 5/10 years time the LL wont look anything like it does just now and this argument will be moot. 

18 hours ago, VodkaTap said:

That's the way I've always seen it - if you're not doing everything you can to get people through the gates at your own home games and relying on away support to make up the numbers it's probably the wrong way to go. We saw the reluctance to give up the old sectional cup, as so many teams anticipated and perhaps became over-reliant on a payday or two from larger clubs visiting.

In an ideal world it shouldn't really matter who you're playing and how many they'll bring - with a solid healthy home support to draw on, away support is a bonus. Likewise, if your team takes a decent travelling support obviously that's great, but ultimately attracting a crowd to an away game isn't really your responsibility.

18 hours ago, Ginaro said:

...Though you could also be playing next season with Shotts, Gartcairn, and Drumchapel as the three promoted teams - are they going to be bringing lots of support to Ayrshire or would your fans turn out to watch them on a Wednesday night?

Maybe worth bearing in mind that Shotts Bon Accord won the SJC about 10 years back and are one of the Lanarkshire clubs that are most likely to draw a decent crowd when they are doing well as they are somewhat distant from the four local SPFL clubs and the Old Firm in an almost in West Lothian sort of way. 

3 minutes ago, superpollok said:

Will teams actually declare their attendance now we are in senior leagues, or continue to avoid doing this… for whatever reason / benefit that may bring….

There's no obligation to do it just because you're senior.

In 2018-19 a poster on here @Burnieclub78 starting accumulating EoSFL and LL head counts as a project. This was expanded to all pyramid leagues, the Junior leagues, and NCL in 2019-20.

Unfortunately, they're unable to do so this year. @The Faceman has taken up the challenge this season but only covering the EoSFL and LL. Which is a significant amount of effort.

A lot of clubs have participated in it, so don't think many would object to it being more formal.

You can still win the league and not go up though , I particularly dont like that imo

48 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Maybe worth bearing in mind that Shotts Bon Accord won the SJC about 10 years back and are one of the Lanarkshire clubs that are most likely to draw a decent crowd when they are doing well as they are somewhat distant from the four local SPFL clubs and the Old Firm in an almost in West Lothian sort of way. 

Right, but since a Talbot midweek game with a low away support in the LL was mentioned I said Shotts as they're furthest away of the Conf A contenders as an example of how that might not be unique to the LL.

Though perhaps starting at 19:30 with the lights means more fans can get along to a midweek game this season?

1 hour ago, Talbot supporter said:
22 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

You can still win the league and not go up though , I particularly dont like that imo

You've just come out of a league structure in the Juniors where there was nowhere to go if you won the league. Guessing you must have hated the Juniors which had 0% chance of progression from its top flight.

Thankfully the senior leagues offer clubs the opportunity to progress up the pyramid.  Its not perfect at the moment but its a start and as clubs find their place in the pyramid things will change. Its all a lot better than what clubs had a couple of years ago.

Edited by drs

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's no obligation to do it just because you're senior.

In 2018-19 a poster on here @Burnieclub78 starting accumulating EoSFL and LL head counts as a project. This was expanded to all pyramid leagues, the Junior leagues, and NCL in 2019-20.

Unfortunately, they're unable to do so this year. @The Faceman has taken up the challenge this season but only covering the EoSFL and LL. Which is a significant amount of effort.

A lot of clubs have participated in it, so don't think many would object to it being more formal.

All clubs have to do, on their website with match reports declare attendances, or even during the game if they have a PA system. However that has been few and far between in junior football and likely to remain in this level then.