For those wishing to remove the cheesy Bovril logo next to your avatar...

Ric

Decided to post this here, rather than in the Announcements thread, it's a really minor thing and I don't want to be seen criticising the upgrade, of which the icon is only a tiny part.

I really dislike it I have to say, all personal opinion of course some may absolutely love it. For those wishing to remove it, you can do so with a filter on whatever browser post processing you use (ie: adblocker or whatever), but you'll need a dynamic filter to do so as for some reason Invision see fit to send the same image to the page but with different hashes. Not sure why they do this as it's only going to increase bandwidth used.

For anyone wanting to get rid of those icons, the following filter will work:

||pieandbovril.com/*/bovril_t_v2.png*$image

BRc8FZM.jpg

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Why on Earth is it there in the first place?

I believe Div wanted somewhere for people's ranking to be displayed. I know, me neither, but perhaps it pleases the kids..

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I believe Div wanted somewhere for people's ranking to be displayed. I know, me neither, but perhaps it pleases the kids..

The effect given (at least by our avatars) is that everyone is really excited by the prospect of Bovril, so he's an absolute dafty if there's no sponsorship involved.

I'd much rather have a pie TBQHWY. The superior matchday comestible.

Just now, BFTD said:

The effect given (at least by our avatars) is that everyone is really excited by the prospect of Bovril, so he's an absolute dafty if there's no sponsorship involved.

I'd much rather have a pie TBQHWY. The superior matchday comestible.

I'll not lie, I'm stunned Bovril haven't placed a 'cease and desist' order considering the board's name is specifically trading off the products popularity. Maybe they have been in contact and given their blessings.

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'll not lie, I'm stunned Bovril haven't placed a 'cease and desist' order considering the board's name is specifically trading off the products popularity. Maybe they have been in contact and given their blessings.

They were in touch years ago and even ran a competition with us. Unsurprisingly they absolutely love the free publicity.

I intend to do some work on the ranking icons, the pie and bovril icons are really just temporary until I get time to do something else, otherwise it was all rockets and stars and stuff which seemed even more pointless.

I've switched it off for now, will maybe revisit it at some point. There are a lot of new toys to play with in here now but most are switched off.

12 minutes ago, Div said:

They were in touch years ago and even ran a competition with us. Unsurprisingly they absolutely love the free publicity.

I intend to do some work on the ranking icons, the pie and bovril icons are really just temporary until I get time to do something else, otherwise it was all rockets and stars and stuff which seemed even more pointless.

I've switched it off for now, will maybe revisit it at some point. There are a lot of new toys to play with in here now but most are switched off.

I'm surprised they didn't want money from you to be honest, after all it's their IP. Tell you what though, if they are so keen on the publicity you should be pushing for free merch!

As for the icons, and as I said in my first post, this isn't in any way meant as a complaint.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

I'm surprised they didn't want money from you to be honest, after all it's their IP.

Why the f**k would they want paying for having their brand logo plastered everywhere? :1eye

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Why the f**k would they want paying for having their brand logo plastered everywhere? :1eye

I'll be honest, I'd have thought that was obvious. Companies, in general, do not spend millions on branding only to allow websites to use it without their permission.

As it is, and going on Div's comment, it seems they are cool with it but if this website became toxic or made the news for all the wrong reasons then the association with that brand is in the mind of the consumer. That's something a PR department of any large company is constantly on the look out for.

48 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'll be honest, I'd have thought that was obvious. Companies, in general, do not spend millions on branding only to allow websites to use it without their permission.

As it is, and going on Div's comment, it seems they are cool with it but if this website became toxic or made the news for all the wrong reasons then the association with that brand is in the mind of the consumer. That's something a PR department of any large company is constantly on the look out for.

Scotland's premier football forum, promoting a product for sale at every ground? What's not to like? I don't think even mumsnetgate would have done them any reputational damage, and I think that's the only time P&B has hit the tabloids since it was founded. 

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Scotland's premier football forum, promoting a product for sale at every ground? What's not to like?

That's not really how business works. Trust me I can give you numerous web related stories of how guarded companies are about their IP.

However, that is all secondary, the real question is how do you feel about Marmite cheese?

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

That's not really how business works. Trust me I can give you numerous web related stories of how guarded companies are about their IP.

However, that is all secondary, the real question is how do you feel about Marmite cheese?

I'm guessing it's how the Bovril business works considering they haven't taken legal action and, as Div says, have enjoyed free publicity and even worked with the site. 

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I'm guessing it's how the Bovril business works considering they haven't taken legal action and, as Div says, have enjoyed free publicity and even worked with the site. 

Well it's how one company works. It's good that they both know and allow patronage, but it's far from the norm. If I, for example, started off a website called "pepsiandcrisps" I can assure you Pepsi's lawyers would be on the phone in a minute.

57 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Pepsi are c***s, but.

Barr's are the boys.

Utterly off-topic. I was on a radiation protection training course years ago (about 2007) run by the Health Protection Agency. Folk attending were from various companies and universities, and a fair old contingent from Barr's. I wondered what Irn Bru had to do with radiation and they explained it to me. 

When the machine fills a bottle with juice, they have to make sure it has been properly filled. The rate the machine works at means that they can't do it by eye, so they use a similar system to a smoke alarm. They set up a radiation source at a height near the bottle cap, and a radiation detector opposite it. A bottle passes between them, and if there is juice present the radiation cannot get through. No radiation detected by the senor means that the bottle is filled to the required level and passes on through. When radiation is detected, it means that there is no liquid present to absorb the radiation, and so the bottle isn't filled enough and is sent to the reject pile. All complete automated, but it comes with a barrel load of radiation protection regulations (IRR99) that they need trained on. 

Pepsi probably pay poor third world kids a penny a day to do the same job.