Morton v Queens

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You say that like it's unusual for Gibson to thoroughly own opponents. You can refer to his age all you like but the only player to significantly get the better of him in the League last season was Kai Kennedy in our first ICT game. He was our Player of the Season for a reason last year. He's been an absolute revelation playing at full back or wing back, though generally on the right, not the left as he was last weekend. We may have lost both matches but he completely owned his direct opponents at Partick Thistle and Kilmarnock in the previous two games too.

As for the highlights, it seems fairly clear on a proper screen that Oliver dived, he's on his way down before any challenge reaches him. He doesn't even really complain that much about it. And it's a clear foul on our keeper for the 3rd. Lithgow even concedes in his post match interview (the one where he claims Morton are the better team 🙄) that he headed the keeper, not the ball. He didn't even knock the ball out of his hands, he heads the keeper's arms.

Not trying to take anything away from Gibson (said on here before he’s a player I’ve always liked), but we made it incredibly easy for him (see below).

And there’s nothing ‘fairly clear’ about our penalty claim; you could argue it’s as much a penalty as yours, but Oliver just isn’t as canny as Gibson.

(Side-note to say any Queens fans still mewling about diving should remind themselves which team the wee boy Connolly plays for…).

No argument about our second goal (I never mentioned it, as a matter of fact): the ref is a total diddy, who will affect the outcome of plenty of games over his ‘career’.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Didn't appreciate how terrible the defending from Morton was at the time. The first one in particular is a shocker. From our point of view Gibson does terrifically well but there's no way he should be taking 3 players out the game there.

I'd say your attack should take some of the heat as well though. The number of crosses your players got to first was unreal (though not amazing considering it was us trying to defend them). If it had been against a more clinical side we could have been comfortably beaten but thankfully for us Morton were very wasteful with them.

Agree we were sloppy and hesitant in front of goal… but it was the defending and general game management which meant we lost, as opposed to a narrow win or the usual turgid draw against you lot at Cappielow.

I laughed when I saw the lead-up to the penalty again; criminal from all three Morton players. But the second and third goals were just as bad.

I noticed a comment in one of the Sunday papers' match report about Connolly being able to give Tom Daley lessons in diving (or something along those lines), I didn't make the game and lost the stream just before our penalty, was Connolly doing a bit of "simulation" when he came on or has he got a rep for it? Oliver is certainly a "leave your leg in and hope for a touch" type of player. 

12 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I noticed a comment in one of the Sunday papers' match report about Connolly being able to give Tom Daley lessons in diving (or something along those lines), I didn't make the game and lost the stream just before our penalty, was Connolly doing a bit of "simulation" when he came on or has he got a rep for it? Oliver is certainly a "leave your leg in and hope for a touch" type of player. 

You’re right about Oliver… Connolly just dives (but not as well as Tom Daley).

Gibson has been playing in Scottish football for nearly twenty years so it was inexplicable from Hynes to just gormlessly show him onto his left foot to begin with. A similar issue happened with O'Hara being allowed to cut inside from the left in the previous home match. 

Being done once or twice is excusable; but not learning from it during the match and adjusting tells me that Hynes is out of his depth at this level. 

41 minutes ago, virginton said:

Gibson has been playing in Scottish football for nearly twenty years so it was inexplicable from Hynes to just gormlessly show him onto his left foot to begin with. A similar issue happened with O'Hara being allowed to cut inside from the left in the previous home match. 

Being done once or twice is excusable; but not learning from it during the match and adjusting tells me that Hynes is out of his depth at this level. 

Aye… and it’s just occurred to me that Gibson has more often played on the right since his wee comeback; I wonder if Johnston put him on the left specifically to target Hynes.

If that’s the case, you’d think his time was more or less up at Cappielow (checks squad list to confirm he is one of the few players contracted until summer 2023…).

Aye… and it’s just occurred to me that Gibson has more often played on the right since his wee comeback; I wonder if Johnston put him on the left specifically to target Hynes.
If that’s the case, you’d think his time was more or less up at Cappielow (checks squad list to confirm he is one of the few players contracted until summer 2023…).

He’s played on left numerous times this season, to great success. Our only downfall of him playing there is we don’t have an out and out right wing back really bar him. Paton has done reasonably ok when played there tho, as someone who does a good job for the team. Be interesting to see how we shape up when East is back, allowing Debayo to move to wing back. Although quite like him in back three

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

He’s played on left numerous times this season, to great success. Our only downfall of him playing there is we don’t have an out and out right wing back really bar him. Paton has done reasonably ok when played there tho, as someone who does a good job for the team. Be interesting to see how we shape up when East is back, allowing Debayo to move to wing back. Although quite like him in back three

Cooper still to come back in as well, any idea what’s wrong with him? 

Cooper still to come back in as well, any idea what’s wrong with him? 

No idea what the actual injury is but pretty sure injuries have plagued him his whole career. I’d hope he’d get some minutes against broomhill along with chima etc.