Pick a team for me.

johnnydun

On 24/08/2021 at 01:58, C. MacLeod said:

Spot on about the Cowboys. The fact that they've been labeling themselves "America's Team" for about 50 years should be a disqualified right there. You certainly don't want the suffering and disappointment Jets fans endure. Vikings are OK (in my youth they had a defensive line called "The Purple People Eaters"), but you're right about Cousins. The Seahawks and Titans are good shouts.

Have you considered the Pittsburgh Steelers? Worst team of the 1960s. Best team of the 1970s (one of their players, "Mean" Joe Greene, was the star of one of the most beloved American TV commercials of the 1970s). Won 4 Super Bowls in the 70s, won 2 more in 2005 and 2008. Haven't been back since, but are always competitive and in the playoffs more often than not. Working class town (an old steel town that has now transformed itself). Great city if you love bridges and rivers. Arguably the most passionate fan base in the NFL (others would, of course, make an argument for their own claim). Intense rivalries with the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens. Progressive ownership in the Rooney Family, which founded the franchise in 1933. A model of stability. They have had only three head coaches since 1969 (Chuck Noll, 1969-91; Bill Cowher, 1992-2006); Mike Tomlin, 2007-present). And among the Steelers' most ardent fans is Pittsburgh native Michael Keaton, Batman himself!

Thank you for this great write up and welcome to the forum. I think it's a great thing when people gain an interest in Scottish football when they have minimal connection.

Thank you all for your insights and ideas I have decided my NFL team. I researched it for a while doing a bit of reading and watching all the preseason stuff, it will make sense to some and be a bit meh to others.

Spoiler

1488293199_81pBG8LETL._AC_SY741_.jpg.e74ff61a8e7a4fc9a0e93ceb9c08efc5.jpg

Thank you.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Thank you for this great write up and welcome to the forum. I think it's a great thing when people gain an interest in Scottish football when they have minimal connection.

Thank you all for your insights and ideas I have decided my NFL team. I researched it for a while doing a bit of reading and watching all the preseason stuff, it will make sense to some and be a bit meh to others.

Reveal hidden contents

1488293199_81pBG8LETL._AC_SY741_.jpg.e74ff61a8e7a4fc9a0e93ceb9c08efc5.jpg

Thank you.

You're welcome and thanks for the welcome. This season is the first I've had an opportunity to see any Scottish league games aside from a couple of Rangers-Celtic games and basically those same teams now and then in Europe. So I'm looking forward to watching some of the teams I've only heard of, but not really seen. Hopefully one of them will grab me for adoption through their style, effort and passionate fans.

Whichever NFL team you've chosen, you'll find some great atmosphere at the games. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, C. MacLeod said:

You're welcome and thanks for the welcome. This season is the first I've had an opportunity to see any Scottish league games aside from a couple of Rangers-Celtic games and basically those same teams now and then in Europe. So I'm looking forward to watching some of the teams I've only heard of, but not really seen. Hopefully one of them will grab me for adoption through their style, effort and passionate fans.

Whichever NFL team you've chosen, you'll find some great atmosphere at the games. Enjoy!

Well I hope you don't sit on the fence like the good c**t @AmericanFan 😉.

Passionate fans? Say no more, Scottish football has more fans going to games, per capita, than any other country in Europe.

Effort? A lot of teams have players that have been brought up supporting that team, and the commitment really shows.

Style? Scottish football is regarded from some South of the border as 'Tin Pot' but that's one of the things that makes Scottish football what it is. Played by guys that have passion with what they do, proper fitba! Give me that any day of the week over slow, dull, predictable EPL played by inflated wages and egos.

There's nothing that compares.

You'll be wanting to support Dundee mate.

Thank you.

56 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Passionate fans? Say no more, Scottish football has more fans going to games, per capita, than any other country in Europe.

Effort? A lot of teams have players that have been brought up supporting that team, and the commitment really shows.

Style? Scottish football is regarded from some South of the border as 'Tin Pot' but that's one of the things that makes Scottish football what it is. Played by guys that have passion with what they do, proper fitba! Give me that any day of the week over slow, dull, predictable EPL played by inflated wages and egos.

Thank you.

haha, guilty as charged.

53 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Thank you.

It all sounds like a lot of fun to me. I was looking ahead at the fixtures and (assuming CBS Sports Network continues to show the noon Sunday kickoff matches) I'll be getting a chance to see Dundee again against Dundee United in a few weeks. I imagine that should be a barnburner. Quite enjoyed the Dundee-Hibs game the other day. Some late drama with that header to get Dundee a point. Hoping I get a good variety and one of the teams reaches out to me as we go along. 👍

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Congrats @johnnydun, you are now committed for life to 'rooting' for the NFL equivalent of Hamilton Accies under Billy Reid.

Come on mate, don't make me hate my decision before the season starts! As long as they don't have a Mackinnon or Imrie equivalent too, we should be fine!

@johnnydun Great to see you pick a team and no glory hunting involved.

Sit back and enjoy the train that is Derrick Henry. Not enough fan fare over him becoming the 8th person to go over 2,000 yards in a season. i am sure a few will this year with the extra game but he did it in 16 games.

18 minutes ago, steelmen said:

@johnnydun Great to see you pick a team and no glory hunting involved.

Sit back and enjoy the train that is Derrick Henry. Not enough fan fare over him becoming the 8th person to go over 2,000 yards in a season. i am sure a few will this year with the extra game but he did it in 16 games.

Yes indeed! I am looking forward to Henry, AJ Brown and new signing Julio Jones ripping the pish.

47 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Yes indeed! I am looking forward to Henry, AJ Brown and new signing Julio Jones ripping the pish.

The Titans will be a lot of fun to watch and they're a pretty good team. Odds on favorites to win the AFC South this season.

• 2 weeks later...