Pick a team for me.

johnnydun

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, I guess every team in any sport has a bit of an arsehole in the team.

Going back to a previous question of mine, if the Chiefs moved to another city, would you still support them? Or would it be the next closest team to you? I guess what I'm asking, is it the city or the franchise an American football fan follows?

If the Chiefs moved from Kansas City they can go straight to hell. I would root for them to lose every single game from that point on.

The Raiders are a different animal in that they've moved so many times already (Oakland, LA, Oakland, Vegas) and are a bit of a national brand, that their fans stick.

I guess think of it in terms as if the Dees moved to a Glasgow suburb because that suburb offered a new stadium and tax incentives. I'm assuming Dundee fans would basically tell the club it could pound sand?

47 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

If the Chiefs moved from Kansas City they can go straight to hell. I would root for them to lose every single game from that point on.

The Raiders are a different animal in that they've moved so many times already (Oakland, LA, Oakland, Vegas) and are a bit of a national brand, that their fans stick.

I guess think of it in terms as if the Dees moved to a Glasgow suburb because that suburb offered a new stadium and tax incentives. I'm assuming Dundee fans would basically tell the club it could pound sand?

It would be the club the other side of the road that would be pounding sand! Boom Boom. We would be burning the new stadium to the ground!

I guess it must depend on the team, if they move often then it's not surprising to the fans, but if they have cemented roots in a city, moving would really piss off the locals.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Personally if I were to ever change team (not that I would) I would go for the Packers. Fan owned, from absolutely no where, usually pretty decent and have had a pretty exciting offence for about 30 years now.

I must admit Aaron Rodgers is some QB.

It would be the club the other side of the road that would be pounding sand! Boom Boom. We would be burning the new stadium to the ground!
I guess it must depend on the team, if they move often then it's not surprising to the fans, but if they have cemented roots in a city, moving would really piss off the locals.
If you get the chance and can find it, there is a film about the Browns getting shafted by owner Art Modell when he moved the franchise to Baltimore 95/96.
Well worth a watch.

On 12/08/2021 at 16:16, Mr. Brightside said:

Personally if I were to ever change team (not that I would) I would go for the Packers. Fan owned, from absolutely no where, usually pretty decent and have had a pretty exciting offence for about 30 years now.

They've had two Hall of Fame quarterbacks in a row. Once Rodgers leaves or retires, reality will set in on the Frozen Tundra.

You don't want to be a Titans fan. The most utterly forgettable franchise in the entire NFL (officially).

You could become Scotland's most rabid Titans fan, and in 10 years time people on here will still be like 'I don't think there are any Titans fans on the board, are there?'

Shite team, shite history, shite uniforms, shite stadium, shite fanbase, and to top it all they play a shite brand of football straight out of the 1950's. Oh, and they gave an enormous amount of money to Ryan Tannehill, despite being a total fake and married to a woman with size 28 feet.

I'll 2nd the Titans being the most forgettable & inoffensive team. The only folk I can imagine feeling any sense of emotion towards them is former Oilers fans but even that may have subsided with the Texans being a thing for nearly 20 years.

Jags take 2nd spot.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

You don't want to be a Titans fan. The most utterly forgettable franchise in the entire NFL (officially).

You could become Scotland's most rabid Titans fan, and in 10 years time people on here will still be like 'I don't think there are any Titans fans on the board, are there?'

Shite team, shite history, shite uniforms, shite stadium, shite fanbase, and to top it all they play a shite brand of football straight out of the 1950's. Oh, and they gave an enormous amount of money to Ryan Tannehill, despite being a total fake and married to a woman with size 28 feet.

22 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

I'll 2nd the Titans being the most forgettable & inoffensive team. The only folk I can imagine feeling any sense of emotion towards them is former Oilers fans but even that may have subsided with the Texans being a thing for nearly 20 years.

Jags take 2nd spot.

😅 The Titans are the team I am leaning heavily towards too. 

I have a really vague similarity with them, I am a former 'Oiler' and so are they. Plus I love a cup o 'T'.*

I also think that Tannehill is a great QB, along with players like Henry, Julio Jones and AJ Brown, they could be an exciting watch Offensively, and to make it even more exciting, the Defence is shite.

Inoffensive you say? Hmm, I do like a team that are controversial in some way though, but not just cloggers like The Ravens.

*Edit, and a can of 'T'

Edited by johnnydun

I only really got into NFL at the tail end of last season (I’m still mostly clueless but I’m sure I’ll get to grips with it all) after hammering the All or Nothing episodes during lockdown. I’m in a similar position regarding picking a team to support, I had initially thought about going for the Raiders but I’m not into the whole moving around thing either. After a bit of research I’ve settled on the Seahawks purely because their stadium looks cool and I quite like the badge and colours. 

42 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I only really got into NFL at the tail end of last season (I’m still mostly clueless but I’m sure I’ll get to grips with it all) after hammering the All or Nothing episodes during lockdown. I’m in a similar position regarding picking a team to support, I had initially thought about going for the Raiders but I’m not into the whole moving around thing either. After a bit of research I’ve settled on the Seahawks purely because their stadium looks cool and I quite like the badge and colours. 

Steve Largent!

On 12/08/2021 at 07:58, johnnydun said:

I have whittled it down to a few based on some of the suggestions on here..

The Dallas Cowboys is a no, although they clearly rattle a Junior poster's cage, which was very appealing, after reading the other comments about them, they come across as very plastic and run by a complete minter.

The Jets is a no, come across as a very poor side that offer absolutely nothing and just go through the motions every year.

The Seahawks are a possibility, always there or there abouts would make it a bit more interesting. Liking the fact they have a very vocal support and they retired the number 12 jersey for the fans.

The Vikings also appeal to me, highest winning percentage without a Superbowl, although Kirk Cousins comes across as a bit of a melt.

The Titans are also a possibility, not only would I be the only Titans fan on here, looks like they have a decent team this year, although opinion seems to be split on this.

Let me know your thoughts on these.

Thank you.

Spot on about the Cowboys. The fact that they've been labeling themselves "America's Team" for about 50 years should be a disqualified right there. You certainly don't want the suffering and disappointment Jets fans endure. Vikings are OK (in my youth they had a defensive line called "The Purple People Eaters"), but you're right about Cousins. The Seahawks and Titans are good shouts.

Have you considered the Pittsburgh Steelers? Worst team of the 1960s. Best team of the 1970s (one of their players, "Mean" Joe Greene, was the star of one of the most beloved American TV commercials of the 1970s). Won 4 Super Bowls in the 70s, won 2 more in 2005 and 2008. Haven't been back since, but are always competitive and in the playoffs more often than not. Working class town (an old steel town that has now transformed itself). Great city if you love bridges and rivers. Arguably the most passionate fan base in the NFL (others would, of course, make an argument for their own claim). Intense rivalries with the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens. Progressive ownership in the Rooney Family, which founded the franchise in 1933. A model of stability. They have had only three head coaches since 1969 (Chuck Noll, 1969-91; Bill Cowher, 1992-2006); Mike Tomlin, 2007-present). And among the Steelers' most ardent fans is Pittsburgh native Michael Keaton, Batman himself!

Edited by C. MacLeod
Fixing brain fart over nickname of Vikings front 4

11 hours ago, C. MacLeod said:

Spot on about the Cowboys. The fact that they've been labeling themselves "America's Team" for about 50 years should be a disqualified right there. You certainly don't want the suffering and disappointment Jets fans endure. Vikings are OK (in my youth they had a defensive line called "The Fearsome Foursome"), but you're right about Cousins. The Seahawks and Titans are good shouts.

Have you considered the Pittsburgh Steelers? Worst team of the 1960s. Best team of the 1970s (one of their players, "Mean" Joe Greene, was the star of one of the most beloved American TV commercials of the 1970s). Won 4 Super Bowls in the 70s, won 2 more in 2005 and 2008. Haven't been back since, but are always competitive and in the playoffs more often than not. Working class town (an old steel town that has now transformed itself). Great city if you love bridges and rivers. Arguably the most passionate fan base in the NFL (others would, of course, make an argument for their own claim). Intense rivalries with the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens. Progressive ownership in the Rooney Family, which founded the franchise in 1933. A model of stability. They have had only three head coaches since 1969 (Chuck Noll, 1969-91; Bill Cowher, 1992-2006); Mike Tomlin, 2007-present). And among the Steelers' most ardent fans is Pittsburgh native Michael Keaton, Batman himself!

The Fearsome Foursome were the LA Rams. The Vikes were the Purple People Eaters which to be fair is even fucking better. 

Do you have a team? 

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

The Fearsome Foursome were the LA Rams. The Vikes were the Purple People Eaters which to be fair is even fucking better. 

Do you have a team? 

You are correct. Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Lamar Lundy and needlepoint aficionado Rosey Grier. What was I thinking? Brain fart, I guess. Roman Gabriel was the quarterback of those fine teams.

Not a die-hard, but I grew up south of Pittsburgh, so it would be the Steelers for me (although I've never had the same emotional attachment that I've had for the Pirates, largely because in the 60s the Steelers were awful and rarely on television).

6 minutes ago, C. MacLeod said:

You are correct. Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Lamar Lundy and needlepoint aficionado Rosey Grier. What was I thinking? Brain fart, I guess. Roman Gabriel was the quarterback of those fine teams.

Not a die-hard, but I grew up south of Pittsburgh, so it would be the Steelers for me (although I've never had the same emotional attachment that I've had for the Pirates, largely because in the 60s the Steelers were awful and rarely on television).

There's a Pittsburgh Pirates fan at my work which I think is absolutely wild but there you go. I think he might be the only non-American I've ever met who actually likes baseball. 

What about Pitt football? Must have been fun watching Aaron Donald in college. 

43 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

There's a Pittsburgh Pirates fan at my work which I think is absolutely wild but there you go. I think he might be the only non-American I've ever met who actually likes baseball. 

What about Pitt football? Must have been fun watching Aaron Donald in college. 

Pitt had some great teams back in the 70s with Dorsett and Hugh Green. Won a national title. But I'm a West Virginia fan (Morgantown is 75 miles south of Pittsburgh and I'm from that area). But arguably Pitt's all-time greatest player, Marshall Goldberg (2 national titles in the 30s, leader of Pitt's "Dream Backfield," Heisman runner-up and later All-Pro and NFL champ with the Chicago Cardinals) was from my hometown. With all the conference realignment WVU and Pitt rarely play anymore, but it was once a great rivalry called The Backyard Brawl.

And tell your long-suffering workmate he's not alone in the suffering the Buccos have given us over the past 30 years. 😅