Pick a team for me.

johnnydun

I like watching the NFL, a really entertaining sport.

The only thing that is holding me back really getting into a season is not having a team to support. I don't know if this is just my Scottish football mentality, but for me to get invested in a sport, I need to support a single team.

I need the guys on this thread to help me out a bit, picking a team. A lot like @AmericanFan did when he joined us on P&B.

I have a few stipulations....

I don't like teams who move from city to city, I prefer them to have a connection and fan base in one place.

I don't like supporting favorites, (again this might be down to my Scottish football mindset).

At the same time I don't like supporting cannon fodder, (a bit hypocritical with my Scottish football mindset).

So perhaps a team pushing for the play offs.

I also have a couple of really petty shite, like I couldn't support the Brown's because in the words of Quentin Tarentino, "It’s a little close to Mr Shit". I couldn't support the Bengals, they play in Tangerine and Black ffs, New England, no thanks...etc.

I also like a team to have a stand out character in them, like the Honey Badger, Mathieu.

Please help me P&B NFL fan's with your thoughts.

Thank you.

You sound like a massive c**t so I'd suggest supporting the Cowboys.

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

@johnnydun

Hmm, this is a good one.

I'd say the Colts, Titans, Dolphins, Vikings, Saints and Seahawks would all come close to fitting your criteria.

But you should probably just start supporting the Chiefs and enjoy the Mahomes tour of the next 10 years.

Thank you.

I shall look more into these teams.

Why does everyone hate the Cowboys?

7 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Thank you.

I shall look more into these teams.

Why does everyone hate the Cowboys?

Most likely it has to do with they have a ton of bandwagon fans in cities not in Texas because they had stretches in the 1970s and 90s where they won a lot. They are the so-called "America's Team," which was self-labeled back in the late 70s and the media picked up on it and continually uses it. Their owner, Jerry Jones, is also an egomaniac jackass who has to constantly be in the media spotlight for something. Though his meddling in personnel affairs has been to the detriment of the team, so I guess he's not all bad.

I can't speak for everyone, but those are the reasons I enjoy seeing the Cowboys continually underachieve.

Honestly, if the Cowboys never won another game I'd be just fine with it.

There are quite a few football likenesses to NFL:-

Packers = Liverpool. Fans from all over the place, annoyingly successful. Pretty good historically and still generally quite competitive

Patriots = Chelsea. No history but won bloody everything for the last 20 years, so suddenly have lots of fans

Bears = Villa. Invented the League (only founder member left in Bears case), brilliant way back and had a real high in the 80s, but not great since

Cowboys = Man Utd. Fans from all over US and media love them. Everyone else hates them

Ravens = Leeds. Famously dirty team

Jets = Tottenham. Were good in the early 60s and come from a big city. Nothing of note since and media still go on about them loads

Giants = Arsenal. Big team, but not that great right now and from a big city

Lions = Birmingham City. Always laughably bad

Buccaneers = Leicester. Won the League out of nowhere, this link is a bit tenuous

we are missing a trick here... what teams to we need for the whole set on the Posters' team list? we need to get to the 32!!

my advice is watch a couple of weeks of Red Zone and pick you team from there. If i was picking today being fresh to the sport... I think i might go for the Bills. they have a lot of potential but they are in a toughish division, tough conference and have a good team. the only downside is if you want to see them play it's always freezing up there.

I could make a pitch for the Bronco's as we are a QB away from competing but we are never getting that QB.

ETA - It was the Titans. we sort of have someone but he's not been on in years, so it might have been made up.

Edited by steelmen

I have whittled it down to a few based on some of the suggestions on here..

The Dallas Cowboys is a no, although they clearly rattle a Junior poster's cage, which was very appealing, after reading the other comments about them, they come across as very plastic and run by a complete minter.

The Jets is a no, come across as a very poor side that offer absolutely nothing and just go through the motions every year.

The Seahawks are a possibility, always there or there abouts would make it a bit more interesting. Liking the fact they have a very vocal support and they retired the number 12 jersey for the fans.

The Vikings also appeal to me, highest winning percentage without a Superbowl, although Kirk Cousins comes across as a bit of a melt.

The Titans are also a possibility, not only would I be the only Titans fan on here, looks like they have a decent team this year, although opinion seems to be split on this.

Let me know your thoughts on these.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

The Titans are also a possibility, not only would I be the only Titans fan on here, looks like they have a decent team this year, although opinion seems to be split on this.

Plus they've got the word tit in it. 

Just saying like. 

17 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I'd be a liar if I said I could make convincing sales pitch for the Lions.

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

Detroit Lions - there is a Dundee, Michigan not that far away

You also have the boy Goff, if he can find his form from a couple of years ago, might give them a better chance.

4 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I have whittled it down to a few based on some of the suggestions on here..

The Dallas Cowboys is a no, although they clearly rattle a Junior poster's cage, which was very appealing, after reading the other comments about them, they come across as very plastic and run by a complete minter.

The Jets is a no, come across as a very poor side that offer absolutely nothing and just go through the motions every year.

The Seahawks are a possibility, always there or there abouts would make it a bit more interesting. Liking the fact they have a very vocal support and they retired the number 12 jersey for the fans.

The Vikings also appeal to me, highest winning percentage without a Superbowl, although Kirk Cousins comes across as a bit of a melt.

Let me know your thoughts on these.

Thank you.

I wouldn't worry about specific players as the careers of players outside of good quarterbacks are usually pretty short. If Cousins is still there in 2026, I'd be surprised. And he's also a free agent in 2023, where someone like Carolina or the Giants could overpay for him.

14 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

I wouldn't worry about specific players as the careers of players outside of good quarterbacks are usually pretty short. If Cousins is still there in 2026, I'd be surprised. And he's also a free agent in 2023, where someone like Carolina or the Giants could overpay for him.

Yeah, I guess every team in any sport has a bit of an arsehole in the team.

Going back to a previous question of mine, if the Chiefs moved to another city, would you still support them? Or would it be the next closest team to you? I guess what I'm asking, is it the city or the franchise an American football fan follows?