The Daftest Red Card of the season

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy v Renfrew circa 1998. Renfrew player punches a Rob Roy player just in front of me. Made a beautiful splat sound, complete with a spray of blood. Both players got sent off, which seemed a bit harsh on the Rob Roy dude but refereeing in the juniors always was wild. 

Peter Grant in 1991 has already been mentioned but, having been VERY lucky to only be booked he decides to charge the free kick and ensure his red card. He was about a yard away from the ball when it got hit.

Also, Tony Cascarino. After a thoroughly awful first few months at Celtic, he came on as a sub against Hearts and did the unthinkable. Having been presented with an open goal, he managed to sclaff the ball into the net. A goal. He actually scored a goal.  Pandemonium. A hero was born. 

A couple of minutes later he took a random swing at Craig Levein and hooked him in the face. Hearts got a penalty, Cascarino got sent off. He was on the pitch 6 minutes in total. 

15 minutes ago, tamba_trio said:

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy v Renfrew circa 1998. Renfrew player punches a Rob Roy player just in front of me. Made a beautiful splat sound, complete with a spray of blood. Both players got sent off, which seemed a bit harsh on the Rob Roy dude but refereeing in the juniors always was wild. 

Peter Grant in 1991 has already been mentioned but, having been VERY lucky to only be booked he decides to charge the free kick and ensure his red card. He was about a yard away from the ball when it got hit.

Also, Tony Cascarino. After a thoroughly awful first few months at Celtic, he came on as a sub against Hearts and did the unthinkable. Having been presented with an open goal, he managed to sclaff the ball into the net. A goal. He actually scored a goal.  Pandemonium. A hero was born. 

A couple of minutes later he took a random swing at Craig Levein and hooked him in the face. Hearts got a penalty, Cascarino got sent off. He was on the pitch 6 minutes in total. 

One for the "not a daft red card" files, but in the utterly sickening 4-5 Falkirk / Celtic game in about 1993 Falkirk made a good start and Peter Grant found himself in the book. Mick McCarthy got sent off for a classic right hook to the jaw of Crawford Baptie (who I don't think even noticed it...) and Grant then proceeded to commit 3 or 4 further bookable offences as the red mist descended.

Rather than apply the laws of the game, the referee went over to the Celtic dugout and suggested they might want to substitute young Mr Grant.

They did, Forbes Johnstone got sent off for breathing in the same postcode as a Celtic player, and Collins scored an injury time winner.

Some people genuinely couldn't form words, such was the rage all around. The place was a seething pit of fury; never seen the likes.

21 hours ago, UAE1929 said:

I can't remember if he punched or kicked now, but I'm certain it was to Connor Gethins. Klos did save it, Ian Maxwell (yes that one) took it for some reason. Still convinced if that game went to ET we'd have beaten them.

It was most certainly a kick to the shins - I can still see it now! Although it was definitely completely off the ball and unnecessary, it was still a pretty crowded Rangers box when it happened, I think following a corner. I’ll never understand why Maxwell took it upon himself to take the pen… which in the end was delayed by a good 8 minutes due to all the protests from the Rangers players and general sorting out of the mess. We had pulled the first goal back in the 90th minute, would have had all the momentum and the extra man going into extra time… if we’d only blooming scored it. Most definitely a “what could have been” kind of night 😢

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/cis_ins_cup/1679863.stm

20 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

One for the "not a daft red card" files, but in the utterly sickening 4-5 Falkirk / Celtic game in about 1993 Falkirk made a good start and Peter Grant found himself in the book. Mick McCarthy got sent off for a classic right hook to the jaw of Crawford Baptie (who I don't think even noticed it...) and Grant then proceeded to commit 3 or 4 further bookable offences as the red mist descended.

Rather than apply the laws of the game, the referee went over to the Celtic dugout and suggested they might want to substitute young Mr Grant.

They did, Forbes Johnstone got sent off for breathing in the same postcode as a Celtic player, and Collins scored an injury time winner.

Some people genuinely couldn't form words, such was the rage all around. The place was a seething pit of fury; never seen the likes.

See nowadays, we still moan about the OF getting soft decisions, or getting away with stuff you'd expect a much harsher punishment for if it was the other way round, but what happens now is not even in the same galaxy as what it used to be like back then. If a ref from 1993 was teleported forward in time to do an OF v diddy team game now there would be a heads gone for the ages on here.

A certain Andy McLaren was sent off for Kilmarnock at Fir Park for booting the ball at the East Stand I’m sure after too many taunts about his drug taking history. 

I’m pretty sure that was at rugby park. I was at the game and he was getting pelters funny at the time but not so much now. Different times [emoji51]

On 11/08/2021 at 18:23, oneteaminglasgow said:

When we were relegated from the top flight, we signed Jack Storer after his release from Birmingham City, who did an article about how he feared his reputation as a hothead would hold him back and how grateful he was for the second chance. He then proceeded to do this in consecutive games for the reserves…

Storer got sent off in his second match for us, about ten minutes after coming on as sub.  As he left the pitch, he kicked the advertising boards so hard he broke his foot.

On the plus side he spent his suspension with injury.

He had a phenomenal talent though.  The mismatch between talent and mentality is the greatest I've seen.  Wish we had been able to sort his mind out.  From what I've heard, his family made dysfunctionality look ordered.  Chip off the old block.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

David Wotherspoon Come on down.

Yeap, I just came into post that.

30 seconds on the park and red carded. Nigel Pepper-esque. 

Chapeau, David. Chapeau. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Gordon Bailie...lovely guy played amateur for Gilmerton with him. Great memories.

More red card madness:
Pre season friendly at Newtongrange Star and Meadowbank's Derek Grant headbutted Star's harmless enough Gordon Bailey. A suspension for the first games of the season and a seething Terry Christie were the outcome.
Edinburgh City's Armando De Melo, talented but lunatic, got 5 red cards and a two year ban after an appeal for threatening to kill a ref after a game at Civil Service Strollers.
Jean Ferreira, another talented lunatic, punched the ref at a midweek game at Dalbeattie and got a night in the cells in Dumfries.
He'd been a referee in Italy too...