The Daftest Red Card of the season

More red card madness:

Pre season friendly at Newtongrange Star and Meadowbank's Derek Grant headbutted Star's harmless enough Gordon Bailey. A suspension for the first games of the season and a seething Terry Christie were the outcome.

Edinburgh City's Armando De Melo, talented but lunatic, got 5 red cards and a two year ban after an appeal for threatening to kill a ref after a game at Civil Service Strollers.

Jean Ferreira, another talented lunatic, punched the ref at a midweek game at Dalbeattie and got a night in the cells in Dumfries.

He'd been a referee in Italy too...

When we were relegated from the top flight, we signed Jack Storer after his release from Birmingham City, who did an article about how he feared his reputation as a hothead would hold him back and how grateful he was for the second chance. He then proceeded to do this in consecutive games for the reserves…

Unsurprisingly, he was released by January and is now playing in the ninth tier of English football.

Edit: his dad also offered a parody Gary Caldwell Twitter account a fight for making his son cry on a team training session with the SAS. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Billy Abercrombie has to be up there. Possibly the only player to be sent off 3 times in one game? Him and Stevie Kirk clashed at a game at Love Street and both were red carded. Kirk departed but Aber didn't. After a shouting match with the ref he was red-carded a second time. But he still refused to go and continued to voice his displeasure. Got a 3rd red card before he eventually left the field. And a 12 match ban.
I thought it was actually 4 red cards for Abercrombie. I'm sure this has come up on other threads- few punches thrown (alleged spitting from Stevie?) to break the monotony of a midweek 1-1 draw IIRC and Abercrombie refused to leave so got shown more and more reds.

Hi Sir, 
Could you please change the subject title to 'daft red cards' or something as everyone, including myself, seem to have ignored the 'this season' part. 
Seeing as there's only been two rounds of fixtures so far there's not really a lot of material to work with. Previous seasons' red cards are just to whet the appetite for the madness to come. [emoji6]

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Can't remember of it was Neilsen or Pressley but  Hearts on the attack deep in the United half after clearing from a corner and whoever it was sucker punches a United player back in the Hearts box seen by the linesman. Straight red card and penalty to United converted.

Might have been same game Michael Stewart sent off for a heads gone at his own support but there is a few of them to choose from.

ETA it was Zaliukas http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7165323.stm 

It was Zaliukas.  Worse,he didn't even make contact - he just took a swing and missed.

All time, Graeme Hogg and Levein at Starks was certainly the stupidest, if not the daftest, I've ever witnessed.

I don't think anything thus far will ever eclipse the Frank Rijkaard spitting on Rudi Voller incident in the 1990 World Cup. In terms of utterly needless and disgusting actions this has to be right up there. I realise its not in Scottish Football but it deserves a mention for its needless stupidity.

I know you remember your own team's stuff better, but Michael Stewart getting sent off for arguing with his own fans at Tannadice has to be up there.

Who was the Hibs player that got banned for hitting a linesman back in the 80s?  I'm excusing Miko for Andy Davis cause most folk in the stadium admired his restraint

Can't remember of it was Neilsen or Pressley but  Hearts on the attack deep in the United half after clearing from a corner and whoever it was sucker punches a United player back in the Hearts box seen by the linesman. Straight red card and penalty to United converted.
Might have been same game Michael Stewart sent off for a heads gone at his own support but there is a few of them to choose from.
ETA it was Zaliukas http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7165323.stm 

I think the same thing happened at Ross County v Rangers in a League Cup tie. Ball is at the county end and Amarouso punches someone in the Rangers box. Linesman sees it and it’s a penalty and a red card. If I recall correctly was Klos saved the penalty.

Did Dave Bowman not get 17 red cards from ref in one game. Think he was initially sent off for fouling, then started to swear at ref and received red card for every swear word, sure he got something like a 10 game ban. Think he was playing for forfar at time

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Chic Charnley is bound to have at least one ordering off to his name that involves choke-slamming the referee, diving into the crowd to square-go an auld man, chasing someone with a bladed weapon, or the CID arriving on the pitch to attempt an arrest.

think he got sent off v st johnstone mid 90's after having emmm a disagreement with robbie raeside.

Did Dave Bowman not get 17 red cards from ref in one game. Think he was initially sent off for fouling, then started to swear at ref and received red card for every swear word, sure he got something like a 10 game ban. Think he was playing for forfar at time
4 reds & a 7 match ban. Was for Forfar against Berwick.

Here's one that got away, as Jason Talbot decider to leave his stud marks on Sam Nicholson's face. The ref didn't give a red card at the time, think it was a yellow,  but it got a retrospective ban after our tv guy posted the pics up for the papers to get, then the compliance officer saw it.

See the source image

Dunno if it comes under daft, or just wild, stoater of a tackle though. Here's the after shot of the damage.

Injuries sustained by Nicholson from the challenge. Picture: Hearts FC

I've seen a player get sent off for being punched 

Whitehill v Edinburgh City late 1990s. There's a square up between Cameron of Whitehill and Catterson of City. Craig Sinclair of City gets between them acting as peacemaker and Cameron punches him. Ref looks up to see Cameron go down on the ground, puts 2 and 2 together and gets 5 and the innocent and indeed injured party Sinclair gets a straight red.

Cheating wee shite Cameron later signed for St Mirren.

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Here's one that got away, as Jason Talbot decider to leave his stud marks on Sam Nicholson's face. The ref didn't give a red card at the time, think it was a yellow,  but it got a retrospective ban after our tv guy posted the pics up for the papers to get, then the compliance officer saw it.

See the source image

Dunno if it comes under daft, or just wild, stoater of a tackle though. Here's the after shot of the damage.

Was in disbelief at the game when it was a yellow! Pretty sure Talbot done it 1 or 2 more times to other players after that. 

In 2021, an Argentinian fifth-tier game between Claypole and Victoriano Arenas started badly, with two players sent off before half-time. In the second period, things only got worse and chaos ensued, a brawl erupting that saw coaches, players and fans alike diving in with fists flying and boots kicking.

The ref, Damiano Rubino, sent off all 20 of the remaining players on the field, as well as 14 subs and coaches, making a whopping total of 36 red cards in the same match.

A daft red card thread wouldn't be complete without the inclusion of Morelos. Our final Europa League Qualifier of the 18/19 season and we were 2-1 up on aggregate against FC Ufa, 1-1 on the night. In the first half Morelos proceeded to get booked for kicking the ball away and then only 2 or 3 minutes later get a second yellow for dissent after some verbals at the ref.

To compound this Flanagan then got himself sent off later in the same game. Thankfully we held on.

13 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
17 hours ago, NorthBank said:
Billy Abercrombie has to be up there. Possibly the only player to be sent off 3 times in one game? Him and Stevie Kirk clashed at a game at Love Street and both were red carded. Kirk departed but Aber didn't. After a shouting match with the ref he was red-carded a second time. But he still refused to go and continued to voice his displeasure. Got a 3rd red card before he eventually left the field. And a 12 match ban.

I thought it was actually 4 red cards for Abercrombie. I'm sure this has come up on other threads- few punches thrown (alleged spitting from Stevie?) to break the monotony of a midweek 1-1 draw IIRC and Abercrombie refused to leave so got shown more and more reds.

From the man himself, whilst commenting on Artur Boruc's assault on Craig Dargo, that he only received a yellow for. Unbelievable, until you remember that it was that wee wank Collum that was the ref.

download.jpg

Edited by FTOF

11 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

I think the same thing happened at Ross County v Rangers in a League Cup tie. Ball is at the county end and Amarouso punches someone in the Rangers box. Linesman sees it and it’s a penalty and a red card. If I recall correctly was Klos saved the penalty.

I can't remember if he punched or kicked now, but I'm certain it was to Connor Gethins. Klos did save it, Ian Maxwell (yes that one) took it for some reason. Still convinced if that game went to ET we'd have beaten them.

18 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Hi Sir, 

Could you please change the subject title to 'daft red cards' or something as everyone, including myself, seem to have ignored the 'this season' part. 

There's only been  three so far and one of those was Jordan Marshall who wasn't stupid and more just one of those "unlucky decisions" that  happen  against  Celtic. Max Anderson's red card against St Mirren was a bit of a classic but Brophy was at least on the ball at the time so  there  was some  method in  his madness so it only held the  title for a week till Kristian Dennis raised the bar a little

18 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

It seems to have become "Which fucking idiot will we name the daftest red card of the season award after?"

I'm OK with that tbh.

I'd envisaged that the thread would establish itself with some nostalgic looking back  on  idiots of yore and then periodically  get bumped with posts along the  lines  of  "You won't believe what happened in the dying stages of  St Johnstone vs Aberdeen"  as a  new generation of radges join the pantheon

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

11 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

See the source image

Wasn't his first time either

Screenshot_20210812-102155_Twitter.thumb.jpg.1c88d2b1ee1e630668fe062595464092.jpg